Re: How Much Of The National Cycleway Is Already There?

Postby pinkmaggit on Wed 29/Jul/09 11:53am

:paranoid:
pinkmaggit
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Colin on Tue 10/Nov/09 12:29pm

Another step forward.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... ail-begins

First National Cycleway initiative and the end of a 100 kilometre trakc. Sounds good.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby taskmaker on Tue 10/Nov/09 1:04pm

I got a shock when I saw the branding logo for the cycle trail project

http://tourism.govt.nz/Our-Work/New-Zea ... y-Project/

was there any thought put into it?
taskmaker
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Iseneye on Tue 10/Nov/09 1:09pm

Yeah the logo is a bit of a shocker but I read their handout and it appears they put some effort into it. The thing that I don't like about it is that you only see half of the rear wheel and it puts me off. The logo also looks like a guy sitting on something and pushing a barrel along.
Iseneye
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 10/Nov/09 1:10pm

of course there was, the dude/dudette is obviously on a 29er
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby jimmi on Tue 10/Nov/09 6:42pm

Colin wrote:Another step forward.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... ail-begins

First National Cycleway initiative and the end of a 100 kilometre trakc. Sounds good.

Thanks for the link / update. I dont care what the logo looks like. I see "work on the final section of a 100km riverside trail in the Waikato is about to begin" and I say f$#k yeah!!!
Any new trails is awesome news, and this is one of 7 "quick start" tracks!

As Tama said all those months ago, a lot of the cycleway is already there, its a matter of linking it together and making it a bit user friendly. I also got to ride the start of the Old Coach Road trail (part of the National Cycleway) in October and it was a great ride.

I agree Colin, this is great news.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 10/Nov/09 7:49pm

SlackBoy wrote:of course there was, the dude/dudette is obviously on a 29er
Do sexual deviant bike tourists spend more or something?
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Kevin Hague on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:18pm

Just got back from the launch of the branding and the work to complete the Waikato River Trails Project. Was a great event, and fantastic to see the awesome level of commitment to the project from the community trust behind it, local Iwi, local Councils, businesses and thepeople actually doing the work. I'm seeing this same kind of enthusiasm and combined effort in lots of places around the country. Many of the ideas are ones where the national project has brought people together to talk about what might be possible and got them excited, but where groups are saying that while it would be great some of the national $$, they are going to build their bit of the network anyway. What's great about the Waikato River Trail is that they already have built much of it, so it's great to be able to help them finish it off. Will definitely be in my touring plans next year.

While I was there I heard from some of the people involved in other projects in the neighbourhood. There are plans to extend North to Meremere, South to Taupo and across to Rotorua for starters. Then when you think about the various Hauraki Plains trails already well advanced it all starts to get pretty exciting.

I rode out to the launch from Cambridge on SH1 - great reminder of what we stand to gain! Made sure I went back on the Maungatautari Road. About 10km longer but heaps better.

I didn't like the logo when I first saw it, but I have to say it's growing on me, and I really like Nga Haerenga (the journeys) as the overal name for the network, so I hope that takes off.

Kev
Kevin Hague
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:56pm

It's all good stuff - very positive indeed, so long may the momentum continue to build. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby dented on Tue 10/Nov/09 10:08pm

Thanks Kevin, I admire your enthusiasm, and yeah it does all start to look pretty exciting IMO.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts