Re: How Much Longer For General Motors + Ford?

Postby Tama on Tue 28/Apr/09 12:34pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -plan.html wrote:GM to eliminate Pontiac brand in radical new rescue plan
The US government could end owning up to half of General Motors under a new plan that will wipe out $44bn (£30bn) of the ailing carmaker's debt, eliminate 21,000 jobs and herald the death of the muscle-car Pontiac marque.

The plan – which requires an extra $11.6bn in US funds – is a final attempt by GM chief executive Fritz Henderson to keep the company out of the bankruptcy courts ahead of the June 1 deadline set by the US Treasury.

However, Mr Henderson, who took over the company after predecessor Rick Wagoner was forced out by the Obama administration, said: “If we have to go into bankruptcy, we will.”

Hmmm... the plan to wipe out $44 billion in debts requires an extra $11.6 billion in funds - so is that $55.6 billion in debt all up? OMG we're trapped in a deep dark hole - dig faster!

Bye bye Pontiac - the 10 year old Tama will miss you :( - the current Tama couldn't care less :thumbsup:
pontiac-firebird-1969a.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 28/Apr/09 12:46pm

Such a train wreck.

I remember going for a ride in a TransAm when I was a youngster, first time I had ever been in a car that could push you back into the seat under acceleration, I thought it was pretty awesome.
Plus it had four exhaust pipes and a big eagle on the bonnet :thumbsup:
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 28/Apr/09 12:51pm

Meh. Good riddance. I hope they all go bankrupt.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 28/Apr/09 1:37pm

More happily, they are getting rid of Saturn and HUMMER! Woooooooohooo! :cool:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 28/Apr/09 2:01pm

Privatised military industrial complex fail.
j2hyde

Postby j2hyde on Fri 1/May/09 12:41pm

Well its official. Chrysler is bankrupt. The assets are being sold to a new company allied with Fiat who will continue to manufacture cars, but obligations to debitors and employees will be gone.
j2hyde

Postby RJD on Fri 1/May/09 12:51pm

Oh god I hope they dont couple american interiors & design with Italian build quality and electrics!
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby bugle on Fri 1/May/09 12:55pm

nostromo wrote:Such a train wreck.

I remember going for a ride in a TransAm when I was a youngster, first time I had ever been in a car that could push you back into the seat under acceleration, I thought it was pretty awesome.
Plus it had four exhaust pipes and a big eagle on the bonnet :thumbsup:

Funny isn't it, I smoked a Trans Am in my 15 yr old GT Legacy down the Hutt road a few months ago

Read a piece on 'Pontiacs we will miss most' 2 of them were Aus Holdens...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Fri 1/May/09 2:13pm

RJD wrote:Oh god I hope they dont couple american interiors & design with Italian build quality and electrics!

It's pretty rude to leak a company's business model before they've even rebranded themselves.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 1/May/09 3:14pm

I can see it now:
You step into the chrome and faux walnut lined interior, and slide onto the imitation moose seats (flat and unsupportive).

Gazing at the electrically heated cupholders you wonder if today you will be able to keep your cup of 'Joe' hot till you get to the donut shop, but you put it in anyway and thump the dash (making a cracking sound).

You insert the key and turn but nothing happens. Gazing at the large characters on the lurid green digital display you read 'Che cosa sono voi che pensate?! Latte nel caffè dopo il mezzogiorno? I nessun inizio per voi!' and wonder out loud "What the hey?"
nostromo

Postby Joshguy01 on Fri 1/May/09 7:42pm

Well I can't say I'm going to miss Chrysler and their terrible vehicles.
Joshguy01
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Fri 1/May/09 9:12pm

nostromo wrote:I can see it now:
You step into the chrome and faux walnut lined interior, and slide onto the imitation moose seats (flat and unsupportive).

Gazing at the electrically heated cupholders you wonder if today you will be able to keep your cup of 'Joe' hot till you get to the donut shop, but you put it in anyway and thump the dash (making a cracking sound).

You insert the key and turn but nothing happens. Gazing at the large characters on the lurid green digital display you read 'Che cosa sono voi che pensate?! Latte nel caffè dopo il mezzogiorno? I nessun inizio per voi!' and wonder out loud "What the hey?"

wtf??? :lol:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 1/May/09 10:04pm

Oli wrote:
nostromo wrote:I can see it now:

wtf??? :lol:

Seriously, I read one of Chryslers last ditch attempts to foist inferior vehicles on the public was to fit them with cup holders that can heat or cool.

Its only a short step to then add a sensor to know when Latte is being consumed after midday (offense under Italian public law).
nostromo

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 1/May/09 10:07pm

shorties FTW!!!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby nostromo on Fri 1/May/09 10:11pm

shmoodiver wrote:shorties FTW!!!

Yeah, don't pollute the bean!!
nostromo

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts