How many times could you do the hill part of the Nationals course?

<1 I don't go up hills
15%
7%
7%
7%
2%
5%
10%
2%
2%
No votes
2%
No votes
11+ National level riders are pussies
39%

Total voters : 41

Re: How Many Times Could You Do The Nationals Course Hill

Postby mfw on Sat 16/Jan/10 12:42pm

The best way to take this thread further (are you listening Rik?) is to organise a day for riders to have a go and have someone sit at the top with a whiteboard counting laps :D

I for one would only motivate myself to do such a tedious 'test' if there was some live competition. I would suggest do the standard anti-clockwise laps (going up hackthorne) as that makes more sense from the traffic management point of view, and gives the legs a little spin time at the bottom between climbs (which if anything would allow you to build a greater tally). Going up Hackthorne compared to Dyers doesn't make any difference anyway IMO.

At endurance pace I guess my laptime would be 15 mins, or 4 laps/hour. Means to tally the 74 I would have to ride for 18.5 hrs :cry: . I think that would break me, but 40-50 laps might be achievable, which would be the same ascent as the toughest sportive I know of (Marmotte, 5000m).

Any takers :ib: :satan:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby 84millsy on Sat 16/Jan/10 1:24pm

Hackthorne I find much easier than Dyers. Probably something to do with the fact that it is fairly constant the whole way up so you arn't having to vary your pace as much as a Dyers ascent. Plus it is straighter and wider, so no real thinking happening as to cars and corners.
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby XCguy on Sat 16/Jan/10 3:21pm

mfw wrote:Any takers :ib:

Yup :thumbsup:

But that goes without saying really :alien:
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby leprechaun on Sat 16/Jan/10 4:56pm

mfw wrote:The best way to take this thread further (are you listening Rik?) is to organise a day for riders to have a go and have someone sit at the top with a whiteboard counting laps :D

I for one would only motivate myself to do such a tedious 'test' if there was some live competition. I would suggest do the standard anti-clockwise laps (going up hackthorne) as that makes more sense from the traffic management point of view, and gives the legs a little spin time at the bottom between climbs (which if anything would allow you to build a greater tally). Going up Hackthorne compared to Dyers doesn't make any difference anyway IMO.

At endurance pace I guess my laptime would be 15 mins, or 4 laps/hour. Means to tally the 74 I would have to ride for 18.5 hrs :cry: . I think that would break me, but 40-50 laps might be achievable, which would be the same ascent as the toughest sportive I know of (Marmotte, 5000m).

I'll give it a shot MFW if we can get a few to do it............could be a "Dyers Contenter" faceoff with as many leaderboard guys as possible...........................When were you thinking, an evening????
leprechaun
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby leprechaun on Sun 17/Jan/10 5:48pm

What I found today:

Route: Up Hackthorne, Down Dyers and Spin back around to Hackthorne

Easy rhythm comfortable pace on the climb for me was 6:10, one complete lap was 10:20. These times were amazingly consistant just tapping it out. In the saddle from start to finish.

Laps 0-10 ........................ 6:10 .................... Sub 6:20 for the first 10
Lap 11 ........................ 5:51 .................... Picked it up on the last one to see how I would go, didn't hammer it just pushed a bit harder

Doing 11 is no problem and I think to do 11 sub 6 should be ok but I reckon dyers would be tougher for sure as you have to change pace which would make it interesting and may feel a slight pinch at the end :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm up for a repeat to push it harder if we can get a crew, happy riding :) :)
leprechaun

Postby mfw on Sun 17/Jan/10 8:29pm

leprechaun wrote:Laps 0-10 ........................ 6:10 .................... Sub 6:20 for the first 10
Lap 11 ........................ 5:51 .................... Picked it up on the last one to see how I would go, didn't hammer it just pushed a bit harder

:blink:
5:45 is a PB for me. Remind me not to come and do laps with you leps :lol:
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby Ahad on Sun 17/Jan/10 8:36pm

84millsy wrote:
Ahad its all up to you. I believe in you.....in a non man love kind of way.

You saying I'm gay Millsy!!!? :o :angry: Right, thats it! You've done it this time (...again)!!

After being goaded and bullied by Millsy, Headed out to do a few loops of Dyers via Colombo and down Hackthorne after work. Bought 3 cokes as didn't have anything but water with me.

Ahad 70kg. Bike 8.9kg incuding pedals. plus Backpack 2.2kgs

Went up reasonably quick for me, but still reasonably comfortable and got a time of exactly 5:30 so thought I'd try and stick to that pace. Started really feeling it on the 6th lap, and it was all downhill from there. Blew out on the 10th lap a bit so thought for the last lap I'd really hammer it. Yeah right! :blink: That last 12.5 pinch climb was getting harder and harder, and I couldn't go any faster :crazy:

Lap
1. 5:30
2. 5:27
3. 5:35
4. 5:28
5. 5:28
6. 5:32
7. 5:34
8. 5:38
9. 5:38
10.5:53
11.5:54

Total time 1hr44:06 42.2km 24.3kph Av
Although had to ride around a bit at the bottom of Hackthorne on a few laps to wait to be able to cross the road

Was totally smashed and Then had to ride home to Charteris. :cry: Total blew up at far Vic park entrance and got to the top of the SOK in 21:10 tootling along at about 16kph as couldn't go any faster :lol: Crawled up the last hill before Charteris at about 8kph

So based on that performance I reckon I could probably do 5 laps of the Nationals course before blowing up. Those elite guys are bloody incredible!
Last edited by Ahad on Sun 17/Jan/10 8:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Ahad on Sun 17/Jan/10 8:40pm

leprechaun wrote:What I found today:

Laps 0-10 ........................ 6:10 .................... Sub 6:20 for the first 10

Good going Leps! :thumbsup: What time did you do it? Thought I saw a guy in a Highroad top doing a couple of laps up Hackthorne, on my first two before he disapeared off...
Ahad

Postby Ahad on Sun 17/Jan/10 9:08pm

mfw wrote:At endurance pace I guess my laptime would be 15 mins, or 4 laps/hour. Means to tally the 74 I would have to ride for 18.5 hrs :cry: . I think that would break me, but 40-50 laps might be achievable, which would be the same ascent as the toughest sportive I know of (Marmotte, 5000m).

Yep I'll be there, but think I'd have to go a lot slower than just under 10min pace per lap if I wanted to keep it going for more than 15 laps. Thinking 12 or 13min laps should be about right? Otherwise I'd struggle to make it even to 20. But at least you don't have those pinch climbs on Hackthorne which kill the legs a bit after awhile
Ahad

Postby leprechaun on Sun 17/Jan/10 9:13pm

Ahad wrote:
leprechaun wrote:What I found today:

Good going Leps! :thumbsup: What time did you do it? Thought I saw a guy in a Highroad top doing a couple of laps up Hackthorne, on my first two before he disapeared off...

Yup that would have been me, was on it after two to around four I think.....................I didn't notice anyone in a brown shirt and sandals or I would have said hello :lol: :lol:

Nice going on Dyer's though, you have set the benchmark :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .................But will this spur the Millsy machine into action ;) ??
leprechaun

Postby 84millsy on Sun 17/Jan/10 10:25pm

leprechaun wrote:But will this spur the Millsy machine into action ;) ??

No.

Nice work Ahad and Lep. It really is the last up'sy bit on Dyers that really kills you.

And Ahad, I still haven't sent the last invoice out so I'll tack my latest inspirational teachings session on and give you a discount on my book that I'm writing, its called "Look, your mum rang and she said you're lame - inspirational bullying in the world of non-professional sport".
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Ahad on Sun 17/Jan/10 10:39pm

Sounds like a great read Millsy :crazy: :lol:
Ahad

Postby mfw on Mon 18/Jan/10 12:00pm

Ahad wrote:Lap
1. 5:30
2. 5:27
3. 5:35
4. 5:28
5. 5:28
6. 5:32
7. 5:34
8. 5:38
9. 5:38
10.5:53
11.5:54
Total time 1hr44:06 42.2km 24.3kph Av

:crazy: Doh - another fool takes up the challenge (of which most of those are faster than my single lap PB :cry: )

He says as he headed to Dyers himself this morning to have a go, only to be put off by the wet conditions
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby XCguy on Sun 24/Jan/10 4:02pm

Ok, today it was my turn...

Course I chose was up Hackthorne, down Dyers and around the bottom (4km loop), the same as what the Leprechaun did.

I decided I wouldn't be able to hold the 5:30 pace that Ahad did so aimed to just do sub 6 minute climbs for the first 11 laps. Headed up for what I guessed to be 6 min pace for the first lap then adjusted my pace for the remaining laps.

1 - 6:07
2 - 5:58
3 - 5:54
4 - 5:54
5 - 6:00
6 - 5:54
7 - 5:53
8 - 5:55
9 - 5:47
10 - 5:48
11 - 5:38
12 - 6:01
13 - 6:14
14 - 6:17
15 - 6:50
16 - 6:40
17 - 7:26
18 - 6:52

After lap 11 I stopped trying to keep sub 6min and just rode at a pace that suited how my legs felt, which as you can see was deteriating rapidly. The southerly blast hit on lap 17, turning what was a calm climb into a stiff ugliness that wasn't very pleasant. That told me it was time to go home so I decided to do one more 'just for fun'. Turns out it wasn't much :hmmm:

Enjoyable ride all up :)

So sorry mfw, I didn't make the "Mt Cook equivalent" 31 laps but maybe another day. I suspect I'd need to just aim for around 7 minute climbs right from the start if I was to manage 31 laps. As it was, today's 70km felt a lot more than 70km!

So, who's next?
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Ahad on Sun 24/Jan/10 4:59pm

Disapointed XCguy...18laps? Now come on! thats just being slack! :D
You kept up a good pace though! :thumbsup:

Yeah another good thing about that way, is you don't have to stop down the bottom of the hill and wait for cars, and then play russian roulette going around the Colombo St roundabout :crazy: Think I was pretty lucky to go around 10 times without incident the other day!

How are the legs? Took me nearly all of last week to recover :lol: Legs didn't know what had hit them :crazy:
Ahad

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts