How many times could you do the hill part of the Nationals course?

<1 I don't go up hills
15%
7%
7%
7%
2%
5%
10%
2%
2%
No votes
2%
No votes
11+ National level riders are pussies
39%

Total voters : 41

Re: How Many Times Could You Do The Nationals Course Hill

Postby istepinyards on Wed 13/Jan/10 10:27pm

I remember Fergie posting Justin Leov doing repeats for training. Can't remember the number but I seem to think it was 10
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 13/Jan/10 10:31pm

10 repeats of Hackthorne to the Cup the day before he won the NZ Open DH event.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby istepinyards on Wed 13/Jan/10 10:33pm

Who says alcohol ruins your brain :)
Might have to take it back up again :thumbsup:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Ahad on Wed 13/Jan/10 10:49pm

Hmmm...I reckon I could do about 5 or 6 laps at (my much slower) race pace before blowing up. There were quite a few guys after 6 laps who are 14min to SOK riders struggling there arses off just to keep up, which was quite an eye opener to me! :crazy: .

Not sure how accurate my cars odometre is but it said today while driving into town it was more like a 1.5km climb?
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby 84millsy on Thu 14/Jan/10 8:41am

Leov is a Blenheim boy. We are made of sterner stuff :sly:
(well he may be, he rode bikes, I drank)

My parameters are going to be:

=} straight up and then down Dyers, starting at the base, ending at the end of the white line on the Hackthorne turn off.

=} 1-2 sec break at base to record time

=} Aim for sub 5.30 times

=} 11 - 12 repeats at the sub 5.30 times, then ease off and see how many sub 6.30's I can get in.

At a guess I reckon I may get 6 repeats at sub 5.30, then blow out. 11 times is around an hour of climbing alone....
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby 84millsy on Thu 14/Jan/10 11:12am

Much like XCGuy's deck, this one has been cut short by other pressing matters.

Was consistant on the first two repeats with a 5.29 followed by a 5.30, no where near max output and still feeling fine, then got a call from work before the zebra crossing on the third so had to bail.

Bike is in the hands of the Williams twins tomorrow to sort a shifting problem then I will be engaged for another week with boring life stuff so someone else is going to have to have a crack. XCGuy? Ahad?
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"

Postby XCguy on Thu 14/Jan/10 12:25pm

Oh man, was looking forward to reading about how you got on. I can't ride for the next couple of weeks but may look at having a crack at it after that. Now that Ahad no longer needs to do other rides to get him to the top of the leaderboard I am sure he has time to have a go ;)
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Ahad on Thu 14/Jan/10 5:19pm

Oh yeah thanks a lot guys! :hmmm: :blink: Sounds like a load of laughs.... :cry: Anyway Onbike's only playing with me up the top of the leaderboard...I reckon he should give it a go :sly: :D

Would be interesting to see how well an average, "7hrs training a week hacker" like me goes though...

...hmmmm...maybe next week... :lol:
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby 84millsy on Thu 14/Jan/10 6:48pm

Well you can count me out. Count me out of the hill climb leader board, club racing, and events aswell. Just scored a new flat with a bar in it, fitted with a tap, access hatch to the deck outside etc- I'm going to be Magnum P.I.'ing for the rest of the year so cycling is way out :p

Ahad its all up to you. I believe in you.....in a non man love kind of way.
84millsy

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 14/Jan/10 8:33pm

That sounds like Fast Eddies place ?
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby DerrickN on Fri 15/Jan/10 11:12am

Doing an accurate (ie, not "follow roads", but following a "legal" cycling line on the largest scale sattelite map) gives a distance of 1470m from the exit of the Colombo Street roundabout to the front door of The Emperors New Clothes coffee shop. Appling a bit of geometry, to account for an altitude change of 110 metres, this should give a true reading of 1,511 metres.
Elite nationals men doing 11 climbs therefore travelled a tickle under 17km with a total climb of 1,210 metres. Combine that into a single climb and we are talking TdeF figures for an outside category climb I reckon.
DerrickN
"BikeNZ National Volunteer of the Year 2009"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby johnL on Fri 15/Jan/10 11:35am

17km hmmm easy eh. Tour stages do Alpe du hues 11km but before this do the col du telegraph and andother climb to about 30km total. I did 20km up the Tormalle (sp) in 2 hours
with the tour they also do this day in day out for a week. but then only 2 riders on the start list are tour riders.

No point to this entry, just saying thats all.
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Zaphod on Fri 15/Jan/10 12:12pm

Interesting, but no comparison. The climb on Sunday was short and sharp and was done at a much higher intensity each time than a similar single climb would have been done over 17km.

The repeated big efforts up that short climb would have been what blew everyone to pieces. Same logic as doing repeats. You can do 5-6 intervals up hackthorne in 45 mins, but you're toast at the end of that. Do a similar elevation in 1 single climb (eg bottom of Gebbies to top of Bastard) and you're tired, but not as toasted as doing high intensity intervals.
Zaphod
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby who8thepies on Fri 15/Jan/10 1:02pm

I'm one of those older, chubbier, pie-eating cyclists. Laps to The Cup take me at least 15 minutes. I'm the one with "Wide load - pass with care" sign on my butt :)
who8thepies
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Claude on Fri 15/Jan/10 9:22pm

To set the ball rolling, I couldn't be bothered going out round the Bays this morning so spent a few hours going round the Nats course - 6 laps, about 94km recorded, the pace pretty constant at 31-32mins/lap, 3h12m in total.
Any advance on 6?

One other thing I'll say, the chip seal and road repairs done around that course make for a rough ride.
Claude
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts