2%
No votes
No votes
0 (Fixie/Feet/Coaster brakes FTW)
4%

Total voters : 45

Re: How Many Fingers?

Postby Kev on Mon 13/Apr/15 10:22am

swtchbckr wrote:XT, 185 front = LEFT HAND.

Woah! Stop right there. Why would you do that? You use your left hand for the front brake? You monster.

I thought that peculiar trait was confined to the US of A (although I did notice Andrew Neething has a left handed front brake when he was sat at the Lourdes start line this morning)

Does anyone else run a lefthand front brake?
Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Mon 13/Apr/15 8:06pm

When I were a lad and the fashion was to fit wide 'cow horn' bars to your bike. I had to swap the levers over because the cables where too short. Rode it like that for years. :lol:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 14/Apr/15 10:10am

Kev wrote:

Woah! Stop right there. Why would you do that? You use your left hand for the front brake? You monster.

I thought that peculiar trait was confined to the US of A (although I did notice Andrew Neething has a left handed front brake when he was sat at the Lourdes start line this morning)

Does anyone else run a lefthand front brake?
KIL IT WITH FIRE!

one index finger, on the trailbicycle, old shimango deores
2 fingers (index + middle) on the ht, bb5s
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 14/Apr/15 1:27pm

Kev wrote:

Begun my mtnbiking life whilst living in The'Merica in th' early 90s... so, just got used to it and never went back to the Kiwi/seemlingly-rest-of-the-world stylez...

(tho, one of the first times i ever went to rip a big skid i went straight over the bars (landing on my feet running), much to the amusement of my 'merican buddy - so NZ bikes must have rubbed off on me in my first 23 years...)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 14/Apr/15 1:46pm

I am deeply disturbed by the failure of this thread to degenerate
:paranoid:
what has happened to vorb?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Tue 14/Apr/15 1:56pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I am deeply disturbed by the failure of this thread to degenerate

I know and I spent so long crafting a deliberately suggestive title.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby mfw on Wed 15/Apr/15 12:09pm

I use single finger on left (middle, due to genetic defect).
Noticed I had started using two fingers on right, checked my lever position, moved inwards a bit moar, now back to single finger, can I change my pole? :paranoid:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Wed 15/Apr/15 1:18pm

Rik wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:I am deeply disturbed by the failure of this thread to degenerate

I know and I spent so long crafting a deliberately suggestive title.

I understand Babs actually has a bike now and is somewhat distracted from trolling.
znomit

Postby Orphan on Wed 15/Apr/15 3:53pm

Index finger on any of my MTBs (range of brakes including SLX, Juicy 7, Elixir 1,5, and CL?). On my road bike, I ride on the hoods, so usually a couple of fingers on the brakes. BMX two fingers on the cantilever brakes (which is really a bit of grab and pray) and on the SS commuter with v-brakes, two fingers too, if I want to lock up, but single if just for slowing down.
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby Orphan on Wed 15/Apr/15 3:58pm

As to the above regarding left v right for front brake, I once loaned a bike to a friend's French flatmate. "Would you like me to swap the brakes around for you?"

Puzzled look, "No, I shall be fine, no? Mon amie?"

"Reckon instinct will kill you on this"

"Non, I shall be fine"

First sign of trouble and fistull of the wrong brake, and OTB onto the nose. Nice.
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 15/Apr/15 4:44pm

Doesn't have to be wrong sided for that; dude I was at polytech with asked for a go on my commuter once...
He was used to ancient badly set-up caliper jobbies.

Used more than the required one finger on the front BB7 and promptly went OTB in the carpark. Then asked me what the hell was wrong with my brakes...
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Kev on Wed 15/Apr/15 5:32pm

My experience riding a friends US setup bike was much less dramatic. Crusing down a gradualy sloping single track towards a farily sharp bend. I get on both brakes fairly equally but realise I need a bit more retardation so I squeeze a bit harder on the "front" brake. My mind knows something is not right, I'm not getting the weight transfer to the front and I'm just not slowing down fast enough. Perhaps I should squeeze even harder? When the back wheel locked up it finally dawned on me what was going on and I was able to apply the correct brake.
Kev

Postby Wobbler on Wed 15/Apr/15 6:13pm

Kev wrote:My experience riding a friends US setup bike was much less dramatic. Crusing down a gradualy sloping single track towards a farily sharp bend. I get on both brakes fairly equally but realise I need a bit more retardation so I squeeze a bit harder on the "front" brake. My mind knows something is not right, I'm not getting the weight transfer to the front and I'm just not slowing down fast enough. Perhaps I should squeeze even harder? When the back wheel locked up it finally dawned on me what was going on and I was able to apply the correct brake.

You were applying the correct brake
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Kev on Wed 15/Apr/15 6:53pm

Need to add another option to this poll
Q: How many fingers do you brake with?
A: I don't believe in riding technique, I ride foot out, flat out with heaps of back brake round the corners
Kev

Brakes | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts