8%
11 - 20 cows
No votes
10 or less cows
14%

Total voters : 36

How Many Cows Are You Worth?

Postby Tama on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:41am

A couple of months back I had one of "those" discussions at an Indian restaurant where I was trying to compare the productivity of dairy cows versus people to make some point that now completely eludes me. At the time I couldn't work out the numbers but the idea stuck with me so I thought it was high time I sat down and worked it out.

My proposed equation goes like this:

Your annual income / the price of milk solids / the amount of milk solids a cow produces in a year = number of cows you are worth

According to "Go Dairy" the average New Zealand dairy cow products 3,567 litres of milk a year: http://www.godairy.co.nz/page/pageid/2145843551 - Apparently it takes 12 litres of milk to produce one kilogram of milk solids: http://www.oilyrag.co.nz/beverages.htm - That means the average New Zealand dairy cow produces 297 kilograms of milk solids per year.

Fonterra is forecasting it will pay NZ$4.55 per kilogram of milk solids in 2010 (down from $5.20 in the previous season - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10588787 ). Which means the equations goes something like this:

Your annual income / $4.55 / 297kg

For example; if we take an income of $50,000 we get:

$50,000 / $4.55 / 297kg = 37 cows

At this (last?) seasons prices: $50,000 / $5.20 / 297kg = 32 cows

Heh heh... cows... :huh:
DairyCowPhoto.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: How Many Cows Are You Worth?

Postby Oli on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:44am

:blink:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:45am

I don't know about cows, but when I was in Egypt a "nice" man offered to buy me for 1000 camels. HTH
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Chickenman on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:46am

So does this mean I can stop on my way home from work tonight and pick up one my cows for dinner?
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:46am

hmmmm, i'm in the bike industry for love
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Tama on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:47am

Oli wrote::blink:

Oh come on Oli - it's perfectly logical...

...sane no... :huh:

...logical yes :thumbsup:
Tama

Postby dented on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:52am

The equation assumes you know what your annual income is. I have no idea.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby scatter on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:54am

Do you round 0.5 of a cow up or down? I'm not so keen on a half a cow :huh:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby pissface on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:55am

Tama wrote:
Oli wrote::blink:

Oh come on Oli - it's perfectly logical...

...sane no... :huh:

...logical yes :thumbsup:

no! you have forgotten to include net worth, and are just basically comparing earning potential, so that's saying "having me work for you is as valuable as having n cows work for you". If you take into account current sell-up value, then I'd be worth ... um.... at least 334 cows :cool:
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby thorg on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:55am

scatter wrote:Do you round 0.5 of a cow up or down? I'm not so keen on a half a cow :huh:
I'll have the half you dont want :thumbsup:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:57am

scatter wrote:Do you round 0.5 of a cow up or down? I'm not so keen on a half a cow :huh:

Perhaps one of your cows is pregnant?

pissface wrote:no! you have forgotten to include net worth, and are just basically comparing earning potential, so that's saying "having me work for you is as valuable as having n cows work for you". If you take into account current sell-up value, then I'd be worth ... um.... at least 334 cows :cool:

Yes, it is entirely based on earning potential (and probably quite flawed in many other ways) - but tell me this - would you be able to produce as much lovely manure for growing veggies as 334 cows?
Tama

Postby philstar on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:58am

but you also need land to grow cows, but what I earn has the overheads of the office are taken out of it before I'm paid my wage.
so can you say that a cow is worth its toatl production?

then add into that that I'm worth more than I'm paid :D
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 25/Aug/09 8:59am

We're looking at updating our remuneration banding system.

This could work!
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Tue 25/Aug/09 9:00am

Tama wrote:

pissface wrote:no! you have forgotten to include net worth, and are just basically comparing earning potential, so that's saying "having me work for you is as valuable as having n cows work for you". If you take into account current sell-up value, then I'd be worth ... um.... at least 334 cows :cool:

Yes, it is entirely based on earning potential (and probably quite flawed in many other ways) - but tell me this - would you be able to produce as much lovely manure for growing veggies as 334 cows?
i have been known to talk that much shit manure
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby pissface on Tue 25/Aug/09 9:03am

Tama wrote:

oh now that is a digression and unrelated to the main point. i could just as well consider whether my hide would make as nice a jacket. (which it does, it's the most waterproof clothing I own.) or whether a cow (indeed 334 cows) could play the violin as beautifully as do I
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts