Scaredy_Cat wrote:Jelly snakes?

Usually
znomit
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: How Many Bottles For Taupo

Postby cruiser on Sat 6/Nov/10 10:33am

10 jets per bottle :D

Matto:
Lean mass is mass minus fat. Based on the idea fat doesn't demand fuel. So you'd have to have an idea of % bodyfat.

If you were 90kg, 25% fat.

Lean mass is ~67.5kg therefore 540-680g CHO preload per day. That's a shitload. It's tiresome to calculate, but if yer serious that's how it goes...

Just looked at the video:

In general I disagree with him. The metabolic costs they tested for during upstroke change was without a serious foundation of training to adapt to the changed mechanics. This guy is basically saying there is no need to seek perfection because elites dont do it, why should we...and when we tested they consumed more energy...therefore it is wrong?

his discussion is on heel down is misleading. He says heel down is wrong, but then talks about 'ankling'. I agree ankling is KAK, but I feel heel down throughout optimises the force-length of quads and glutes etc, and places the calf in a stronger dynamic tension on the down-stroke.
cruiser
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 6/Nov/10 10:40am

znomit wrote:

Usually

Usually?

anything else would display an very unhealthy attachment to your bike . . . . :D
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Sat 6/Nov/10 10:43am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
znomit wrote:

Usually

Usually?

anything else would display an very unhealthy attachment to your bike . . . . :D

Hey, what goes on behind my garage door is none of your business :paranoid:
znomit

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 6/Nov/10 1:05pm

znomit wrote:
znomit wrote:

Usually

Usually?

Hey, what goes on behind my garage door is none of your business :paranoid:

Mrs znomit must find that hard (or not :blink: maybe)
great uncle bulgaria

Postby Oli on Sat 6/Nov/10 1:22pm

cruiser wrote:Just looked at the video:

In general I disagree with him. The metabolic costs they tested for during upstroke change was without a serious foundation of training to adapt to the changed mechanics. This guy is basically saying there is no need to seek perfection because elites dont do it, why should we...and when we tested they consumed more energy...therefore it is wrong?

his discussion is on heel down is misleading. He says heel down is wrong, but then talks about 'ankling'. I agree ankling is KAK, but I feel heel down throughout optimises the force-length of quads and glutes etc, and places the calf in a stronger dynamic tension on the down-stroke.
Heel down throughout? Give that a try sometime and see how it works. :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Sat 6/Nov/10 1:30pm

Who is John Crook anyway? He's talking BUNKUM, I tells ya, bunkum!
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Sat 6/Nov/10 1:42pm

typically rec riders are going to get far more gains by focusing on improving aerobic conditioning (ie threshold power etc etc.. NOT riding long distance to chasing volume), chasing the perfect pedal stroke is something that will produce minimal returns. Thats excluding really bad technique that should be corrected as it may lead to knee problems, tendon strains etc etc

IMHO
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 6/Nov/10 2:21pm

stop being so pragmatic...just killed the start of a juicy dispute over useless information :D
cruiser

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 6/Nov/10 2:48pm

cruiser wrote:stop being so pragmatic...just killed the start of a juicy dispute over useless information :D

I dispute that
it was the start of a useless dispute over juicy information :huh:
great uncle bulgaria

Postby nzmatto on Sat 6/Nov/10 2:50pm

Joel wrote:typically rec riders are going to get far more gains by focusing on improving aerobic conditioning (ie threshold power etc etc.. NOT riding long distance to chasing volume), chasing the perfect pedal stroke is something that will produce minimal returns. Thats excluding really bad technique that should be corrected as it may lead to knee problems, tendon strains etc etc

IMHO

I agree with that! Make the changes that are going to have the biggest effect first....to the beginner this would have to be actually getting out and riding, and in many cases followed closely by losing weight.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Sat 6/Nov/10 2:51pm

cruiser wrote:stop being so pragmatic...just killed the start of a juicy dispute over useless information :D

I dispute that

Wait, we're supposed to put juice in the bottles?

Apple or orange?
znomit

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 6/Nov/10 3:01pm

znomit wrote:

I dispute that

Wait, we're supposed to put juice in the bottles?

Apple or orange?

juice in the airplane fooooool!
but no juice in the snakes :huh:
great uncle bulgaria

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 6/Nov/10 3:06pm

nzmatto wrote:
Joel wrote:typically rec riders are going to get far more gains by focusing on improving aerobic conditioning (ie threshold power etc etc.. NOT riding long distance to chasing volume), chasing the perfect pedal stroke is something that will produce minimal returns. Thats excluding really bad technique that should be corrected as it may lead to knee problems, tendon strains etc etc

IMHO

I agree with that! Make the changes that are going to have the biggest effect first....to the beginner this would have to be actually getting out and riding, and in many cases followed closely by losing weight.

frequently weight following riding very very very closely (US Gubbermint official policy)
great uncle bulgaria

Postby cruiser on Sat 6/Nov/10 3:11pm

nzmatto wrote:

IMHO

I disagree :paranoid:

Technique first, fitness second. Poor technique is sloppy and a hugely limiting factor and one that often leads to injury when the miles add up. Fitness is easily improved at anytime in the athlete's lifecycle, technique is not easily fixxored if it's fuxxored (ingrained).

Solution is allocate time for technique within a fitness program, don't leave it to chance
cruiser

Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Sifting | Taupo | Taupo Region - Latest Posts