44%
don't have a crusty old pommie grad student as the "face of the club"
No votes
don't have a crusty old pommie grad student as the "face of the club"
No votes

Total voters : 9

How To Improve Vuw Bike Club?

Postby skidston on Fri 1/Jun/07 5:52pm

I've been wondering lately how to improve the VUW bike club.

As far as i can see the main improvement would be if more people came on, and organised rides.

I'm taking off for a few months this winter (going for a bit of a euro conferencing/riding trip), so the relatively weak weekly offers of club rides might diminish even further unless we can get people to start taking a more active role....
skidston
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby skidston on Fri 1/Jun/07 5:56pm

By the way, the update on the workshop is that we didn't get the christian union building.

However, one of the things that came out of the transport survey they recently did on campus was that they would like more bike facilities. Obviously a free/very cheap workshop would fit that bill rather nicely, so we currently have one of the guys who works for facilities management getting behind the project. This means that the project is still very much a go-go, it's just going to take a wee while longer to sort it out.

The good side of it though is that the facilities management guys should be able to find us somewhere permantent, and there's a possibility of squeezing some money out of them as well....
skidston

Postby skidston on Fri 1/Jun/07 5:59pm

i can't seem to add an

"other - please elaborate"

option to the pole, which is a shame....
skidston

Postby cpower on Sat 2/Jun/07 12:19am

I don’t know if I'm sold on the idea of a workshop... I think a small amount of cash thrown at basic tools and the rest used to fund club trips around the place. A lot more people will come out of the woodwork if we start offering things like cheap club trips to Rotovegas etc. It would be an investment - get a decent base of club members this year and with next year’s money do the same again - building up the workshop a little more but mainly coaxing more peeps into riding with the club by offering cheap holidays etc. Everyone likes holidays :)

If we're gonna be honest here, the club could still fall flat on its arse again and throwing all the money into a whole bunch of assets that might just get repossessed (like last year) won’t help anyone in the long run.

I reckon we follow the example of politicians. Make ridiculous promises, offer free things and convince people that they're getting a bargain. Once there's a good sized bunch of core riders (20 or so) with others that have a little to do with the club now and again, then we can look towards more permanent things.

Just my 2c :)
Last edited by cpower on Sat 2/Jun/07 2:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpower
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby cmdr_keen on Sat 2/Jun/07 2:48pm

Nice Connor, yeah the tools arent much of an investment so if we can get an idea of some potential trips away that would be attractive. Joe I gota sign up to the club before you go away, hows that gona work?
cmdr_keen
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Kacey on Sun 3/Jun/07 7:46pm

Trips away, and races are something everyone can do, especially stuff like the n-duro series where we end up doing lots of random other riding. (Apart from conor).

Also I was wanting to plan a trip up to Napier, Rotorua and Taupo to hit all the mtb parks, anyone keen?
Kacey

Postby cmdr_keen on Sun 3/Jun/07 9:50pm

Rotoruas sweet :D , aparently castle rock is cool, Id be keen for trips aye
cmdr_keen

Postby skidston on Tue 5/Jun/07 8:18am

Yeah trips away sounds like a good idea. Visiting all the parks sounds sweet. We should get to kapiti as well, that looks pretty impressive these days.

As a uni club we should be able to get access to cheap van hire, which is pretty sweet.

Although we'r enot a uni club at the moment! But now that the workshop is not going through VUWSA there's nothing to stop us affiliating, so we should get on that....

We should also get together and talk about what's going to happen to the club over the next few months. Baisically we should have an AGM and get affiliated with VUWSA. We need a few people who are willing to help run it. It doesn't make much sense for me to be one of them, as i'm going to be away for most of the rest of the school year....

ANyway, i'll send an email later and hopefully we can go from there.
Chur
skidston

Postby faux_name on Tue 5/Jun/07 9:54am

Last edited by faux_name on Fri 13/Aug/10 5:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
faux_name
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby cmdr_keen on Tue 5/Jun/07 11:09am

I could probably borrow my dads car and that can take 4 bikes so yeah maybe, although i have exams til the 23rd :O
cmdr_keen

Postby skidston on Tue 5/Jun/07 4:56pm

faux_name wrote: anyone else got a vehicle and keen to head up on a weekday this week or next? Or not got one and want a ride?

Hell yeah, keen as mustard!

Email the list and put it out there - it'd be good if more people emailed rides than just myself.

I'd be keen any day apart from tomorrow (wednesday)....
skidston

Postby cmdr_keen on Wed 6/Jun/07 10:59am

I tried to mail a ride to everyone like you said before but most of the emails bounced i dont know why, i cant really ride till after my exams a though or at least til next week when ive got a week to study
cmdr_keen

Postby skidston on Wed 6/Jun/07 11:14am

cmdr_keen wrote: I tried to mail a ride to everyone like you said before but most of the emails bounced i dont know why,

Yeah i get that half the time as well - there's always 5 or 6 that bounce back, but sometimes it's a whole bunch....

Ride next week sometime then. I see they've dumped the dirt up at karitane, so we'll have to have a thrash up there. Got your d8? Better than the hard tail?
skidston

Postby skidston on Wed 6/Jun/07 11:14am

skidston wrote:
faux_name wrote: anyone else got a vehicle and keen to head up on a weekday this week or next? Or not got one and want a ride?

Hell yeah, keen as mustard!

Email the list and put it out there - it'd be good if more people emailed rides than just myself.

I'd be keen any day apart from tomorrow (wednesday)....

By the way, i am car-less at the mo, so would be looking for a ride....
skidston

Postby cmdr_keen on Thu 7/Jun/07 10:58pm

Getting d8 on saturday.
KEEN for a ride sunday arvo or monday sometime anyone? we could go makara or mt vic or karitane...
cmdr_keen

Clubs | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Victoria University MTB Club | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts