How Durable Is Gore Tex Pac Lite?

Postby poledo on Sun 18/Oct/09 5:25pm

Does it stand up to "normal" NZ tramping conditions? Also, whats it like with wearing out around areas like pack straps/waistbelts? Thanks
poledo
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: How Durable Is Gore Tex Pac Lite?

Postby j2hyde on Sun 18/Oct/09 10:27pm

Its pretty durable. You'll have to work pretty hard to wear it out around pack contact points.

Like most jackets, it won't get on with spiky stuff like gorse, crampons or the burred edges of skis.

Also, Gore Tex (and all the other microporous membrane fabrics) are a rort in temperate climates, it only really works when the outside air temp is around 0 deg or below as it relies on a temp/pressure gradient between the inside and outside of the jacket. Great for snow, but crap for tramping. Personally I don't carry waterproof gear in summer, ever. Something light, windproof and highly breathable eg a marmot windshirt is more useful in every conditon. When it rains you're going to get wet no matter what you wear, so you might as well wear something that is really comfortable when wet.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby lloydy on Sun 18/Oct/09 10:44pm

I'm a big fan of goretex paclite, I've had a lightweight Berhghaus Paclite jacket for over 5 years now, and use it regularly for hill walking with a pack, and it's held up very well. It still performs excellently and has had plenty of use both on the bike and on walking trips. I've also got a bike specific version of paclite, a gore (german co) bike jacket so the original sees less use on the bike and is confined to walking duties now.

It certainly very waterproof, and great for those summer & winter (use it year round just with more layers in winter) downpours.

Even in summer I prefer a proper waterproof, rather than making do with a lightweight shower/windproof, which I'd take along anyway. Both weigh far less together than full goretex waterproof.

I've got some gore paclite shorts too, which came in so handy on wet bike tour of the Northland a couple of weeks ago. Staying dry on a short commute's not absolute essential but if you are out in the weather most of the today, comfort does come in to it. Can't say I've seen any Paclite in NZ though.
lloydy
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby wayno on Sat 1/May/10 8:30pm

its not the temperature, its how wet the face of the fabric is, if it's wet it stops the vapour getting through. below zero the face can't get wet to the vapour can pass out of the fabric.
depends how much you use paclite, the more you use it the faster it wears out compared to three layer fabric with the mesh protecting from friction.
wayno
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby northernmonkey on Sun 2/May/10 9:26pm

Its pretty Durable but Goretex isn't that flash in NZ conditions, the breathability is useless in most circumstances, if you buy a waterproof for NZ use make sure it has Zip vents under the arms...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Honora on Fri 25/Jun/10 8:33pm

I have a pair of paclite overtrousers and I did own a paclite jacket. They probably lasted as long as any other Gore-tex jacket I've owned. I agree with the comments re: breathability in New Zealand. I think it's important to reapply waterproofing regularly. Also be aware that smoke can munt your DWR coating. To reapply it, I've read it's really important to thoroughly wash your jacket in ordinary soap powder, then eliminate the soap powder residue. To do this, you can use something like Sportswash. Then you need to rinse it really well again and then apply the waterproofing and of course dry it in a dryer if you have one to set the DWR, or failing this, iron it.

Needless to say, I've only got as far as giving it the first wash in soap powder so I can't comment on the effectiveness but my partner washed his once, rinsed it twice then washed it in the waterproofing and dried it in the dryer. It had a pathetic outcome! :angry:

In the meantime, I'm wearing my various DWR depleted jackets with a dri-ducks jacket underneath (tivek, polypropylene coating and weighs 100g) which is keeping me dry. It helps not being a big sweater. I also wear a Mountain Hardwear Transition top as my baselayer in winter which is very effective at wicking.

I bought my paclite at that shop in Southwark St near CPIT that sells Macpac and Fairydown gear. There are sometimes good deals to be had there.
Honora
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Bigfoot on Sat 26/Jun/10 8:53am

I've used the Nikwax goretex wash and wash in waterproofer - it generally works a treat. I find using soap powder, or regular detergent in general to be somewhat of a pain in the arse...
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 26/Jun/10 10:03am

j2hyde wrote:Its pretty durable. You'll have to work pretty hard to wear it out around pack contact points.

Like most jackets, it won't get on with spiky stuff like gorse, crampons or the burred edges of skis.

Also, Gore Tex (and all the other microporous membrane fabrics) are a rort in temperate climates, it only really works when the outside air temp is around 0 deg or below as it relies on a temp/pressure gradient between the inside and outside of the jacket. Great for snow, but crap for tramping. Personally I don't carry waterproof gear in summer, ever. Something light, windproof and highly breathable eg a marmot windshirt is more useful in every conditon. When it rains you're going to get wet no matter what you wear, so you might as well wear something that is really comfortable when wet.

:withstupid:
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mark2c on Sat 26/Jun/10 12:25pm

Humidity gradient... but higher temps make for higher humidity (except for deserts etc).
mark2c
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Honora on Fri 2/Jul/10 11:05pm

Is the Nikwax goretex wash as effective as ordinary washing powder for ridding your jacket etc. of the oils and smoke? I have Sportswash but have got the impression that I would need something very effective at stripping out all the oils and smoke from the jacket for the DWR application to work. I am a big fan of fires when I go into the hills, especially from living in Chch where they are verboten.:butbut:
Honora
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Bigfoot on Sat 3/Jul/10 9:57am

I've not had an issue with it, but I don't know how dirty yours gets. I personally avoid a washing powder, and when possible use a liquid detergent. I find powder gets into the creases and folds and leaves nasty powdery residues. Saying that, it's been a while since I used powder because we have a high efficiency washer that requires the liquid...
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby michaelbpap on Mon 16/Aug/10 7:25pm

It's crap in NZ can't stand NZ conditions i would suggest a good hunting brand or at least get the arm pit zips should make the jacket better.
michaelbpap
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby wheeltowheel on Mon 16/Aug/10 7:49pm

Lux flakes dissolved in warm water work really well instead of detergent. Much, much cheaper too.
wheeltowheel
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby nzmja on Sat 17/Sep/11 2:51pm

Help - need to know how to remove acrylic paint from my paclite jacket? Anyone got tips. North Face shop said to bring it in and they will send off to someone somewhere for assessment. Paint has been there for a month or so, so very dry now.
nzmja
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Tramping - Latest Posts