Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Mar/09 1:28pm

Trail wrote:Scatter, sounds like a fine trade to me :D If i was getting some plants for MrsAlmaG would you guys like some too??

Not just at the moment.......I don't have any space for rhubarb triffids just right now!

Hmmm, I wonder how it would go in a large planter.........
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby XCguy on Tue 17/Mar/09 1:30pm

scatter wrote:
Trail wrote:Scatter, sounds like a fine trade to me :D If i was getting some plants for MrsAlmaG would you guys like some too??

Not just at the moment.......I don't have any space for rhubarb triffids just right now!

Grow it at work like our colleagues do :)
XCguy
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby herbman on Tue 17/Mar/09 2:42pm

Here it goes a second time as the interwebby just killed my first go at this.

Wow there is some real misinformation out there about stonefruit and fruit growing.

First of all the cool store is not at fault, stone fruit must be picked at the correct stage of its life or else it will not ripen, the cool store does not change this fact. The truth is sometimes we as growers get it wrong and pick fruit that we should not.

Second, the only stone fruit that I know of that doesn’t ripen after it has been picked is cherries, everything else will ripen up if it is picked at the right time.

Third, it is you guys who are the driving force of looks over taste not us the grower.
Most orchards will have a few old school trees so the grower has some nice fruit to eat.
We know what we want to eat but then we also know what sells. And it isn’t taste any more.

The key to getting good stonefruit is buying fruit that will ripen and is grown buy a good grower.

Here are some tips

Know whose fruit you are eating.
We all label our boxes and most of us have our own brands/boxs that we sell with, look out for them. And if you get good fruit buy off them again, if you don’t get good fruit don’t buy off that grower again.

Know what you are eating
Learn what is out there. Some Varieties taste better than others, it is a fact and try as we may some varieties just taste bad.

Buy fruit that is ripe or will ripen.
Learn what a ripe bit of fruit looks like. And its not just colour, the shape of the fruit is also very important. Most stone fruit should be “fulled” out and rounded with a shallow “bum crack”.

Know who you are buying off.
There are some bottom feeders other that will buy fruit that should be thrown out.
If the fruit is cheap, it will be cheap for a reason.
I do not include supermarkets as bottom feeders, there are some super markets that do a great job but then there are others that really suck. Learn who is good and who sucks.

Don’t buy crap.
As always in life, you get what you pay for.

Mail order
There are a few places that do mail order now, fruit direct from the orchard to you. Why pay the middle man.

brent
herbman
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 17/Mar/09 3:01pm

herbman wrote:Learn what a ripe bit of fruit looks like. And its not just colour, the shape of the fruit is also very important. Most stone fruit should be “fulled” out and rounded with a shallow “bum crack”.


who else got a chub reading that? come on, be honest.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby danose on Tue 17/Mar/09 3:07pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
“fulled” out and rounded with a shallow “bum crack”.


who else got a chub reading that? come on, be honest.


I just keep looking at those pics of peaches and thinking of stranglers songs :love:
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Mar/09 4:09pm

herbman wrote:First of all the cool store is not at fault, stone fruit must be picked at the correct stage of its life or else it will not ripen, the cool store does not change this fact. The truth is sometimes we as growers get it wrong and pick fruit that we should not.


What about the cool storage of Peaches making them mealy/dry? Or is that just something that happens to certain varieties?

Third, it is you guys who are the driving force of looks over taste not us the grower.

If I had it my way the orchards would still be growing on taste rather than looks.

The key to getting good stonefruit is buying fruit that will ripen and is grown buy a good grower.

Here are some tips

Know whose fruit you are eating.


this is the problem. In a supermarket or fruit shop here in Chch I have no idea who grew the fruit, and no real way of finding out as usually the people working there have no idea.


Know who you are buying off.
There are some bottom feeders other that will buy fruit that should be thrown out.
If the fruit is cheap, it will be cheap for a reason.
I do not include supermarkets as bottom feeders, there are some super markets that do a great job but then there are others that really suck. Learn who is good and who sucks.


I have learnt that all the fruit shops I have tried so far suck. :( Even when paying quite premium prices.


Mail order
There are a few places that do mail order now, fruit direct from the orchard to you. Why pay the middle man.


Now that sounds like the way to get good fruit. Any suggestions of who to start with??
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby ShoreBoy on Tue 17/Mar/09 6:27pm

If you move in to the country, you can eat alot of peaches. ;)
ShoreBoy
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby herbman on Tue 17/Mar/09 7:02pm

Trail wrote:
herbman wrote:First of all the cool store is not at fault, stone fruit must be picked at the correct stage of its life or else it will not ripen, the cool store does not change this fact. The truth is sometimes we as growers get it wrong and pick fruit that we should not.


What about the cool storage of Peaches making them mealy/dry? Or is that just something that happens to certain varieties?

Third, it is you guys who are the driving force of looks over taste not us the grower.

If I had it my way the orchards would still be growing on taste rather than looks.

The key to getting good stonefruit is buying fruit that will ripen and is grown buy a good grower.

Here are some tips

Know whose fruit you are eating.


this is the problem. In a supermarket or fruit shop here in Chch I have no idea who grew the fruit, and no real way of finding out as usually the people working there have no idea.


Know who you are buying off.
There are some bottom feeders other that will buy fruit that should be thrown out.
If the fruit is cheap, it will be cheap for a reason.
I do not include supermarkets as bottom feeders, there are some super markets that do a great job but then there are others that really suck. Learn who is good and who sucks.


I have learnt that all the fruit shops I have tried so far suck. :( Even when paying quite premium prices.


Mail order
There are a few places that do mail order now, fruit direct from the orchard to you. Why pay the middle man.


Now that sounds like the way to get good fruit. Any suggestions of who to start with??


these are the guys i buy my fruit off. been in the game for years, they leave there fruit on the tree longer for the stuff they sell on there fruit stall. nd to top it of they know there stuff.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing ... webb-sons/

the mealyness tends to be tired up with how well the fruit has been ripened before picking, but the weather can also affect this as well as the fruit needs heat to ripen and build sugars up, cold temps at and leading up at harvest will will in some cases lead mealyness.
the coolstore does not make it mealy, it does slow it down but it does not stop it.


some supermakets do use the orchards own boxs, countdown in dunners is one i saw the other day. most good supermarkets should know who they get there fruit off as as some growers fruit is often asked for by name by the buyers. small greengrosers that are owner/operators are another one that i would look at as they know whos fruit they are buying and what will get return customers.
if the have a "funky" or "fresh" name, they are bottomfeeders IMOH.
herbman
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Mar/09 7:02pm

ShoreBoy wrote:If you move in to the country, you can eat alot of peaches. ;)

But watch out for ninjas ambushing you from up in those peach trees! :D
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby The_Quinsta on Tue 17/Mar/09 7:24pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
herbman wrote:Learn what a ripe bit of fruit looks like. And its not just colour, the shape of the fruit is also very important. Most stone fruit should be “fulled” out and rounded with a shallow “bum crack”.


who else got a chub reading that? come on, be honest.
holy shit thsi had me ROFLMAO......WAC


hahahahaahaa made my day cheers
The_Quinsta
User avatar
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby bigJIMMY on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:27pm

i can't be bothered going through this whole thread so thought i would just add on as is.

"tree ripened fruit" is what the world misses, many scientists believe this is what is causing a lack of vitamins and necessary nutrition in our day to day diet.
i read an oxford article (that google just won't turn out for some reason) on it. i think it was the dna that is "finished off" in stone fruit in the last few days before fully ripening on the tree. from what they were saying, if the fruit is not ripe on the tree, we miss out on the majority of it's benefits.

i have 13 fruit trees in my garden at different stages of maturity, with the goal to have fruit year round from the garden. supplemented by nectarines and peaches from cromwell that get couriered up from an orchard down there. (nectarines turned up last week! ) mean!
bigJIMMY
User avatar
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:01am

cant be bothered seeing if anyone's said this...



How can i get good peaches?

Walk on the beaches...
tho, its gotten kinda bit cold for that now...
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby philstar on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:29am

anyone kon of a more detaild verison of a season chart like this
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:43am

Like this?
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 18/Mar/09 10:01am

scatter wrote:Like this?


Fail.

that chart does not contain at least three essential food groups:

Spearmint leaves

Jelly beans

Chocolate covered anything.


I think I am having my period, because I crave chocolate all the time now.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Food | Gardening | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

44 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle