Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Slim on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:24am

Trail wrote:
Slim wrote:Ring Brent, who is coming to CHCH next week for a pissup and get him to bring you a box ;)


Oh and next year, come steal them off our trees :lol:


Yep, knowing people with excess fruit on their trees at home has got to be the winner!!

Mmm maybe I can talk Brent into bringing me a box from Central (if they still have them for sale at the stalls).



They don't need to be forsale at stalls, he just needs to know who's cool store still has stock ;)
Slim
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby -Reaper- on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:25am

As everyone has concluded, nothing beats backyard/stall fresh fruit.
-Reaper-
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:25am

Trail wrote:If I had known I would have been out there scoffing peaches :lol:

Well, you know for next summer :D
They're really good peaches too. Dunno what variety they are cos they're ancient but are white-fleshed (which I thought was a "newer" development)
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Colin on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:26am

Trail wrote:
Colin wrote:For years scientists have been developing fruit that turns a nice colour, looks ripe but the flesh is still firm to allow for easy transport without damage. The way the fruit looks in the supermarket, long shelf-life and limited losses is way more important than how it tastes.

And for years orchardists have been pulling out the trees that grow the best tasting fruit and replacing them with trees that produce the best selling fruit. The fruit demanded the large buyers.

You are going to need to plant and tend your own trees to get fruit like you used to eat.


Bollocks. The peaches for sale in Central Otago taste great... The problem with the ones I bought the other day is that the cold storage had ruined them.

Peaches are among those temperate zone fruits susceptible to chilling injury. Woolliness is a factor of considerable commercial importance wherever peaches and nectarines are grown. Woolliness or mealiness was found to be the major problem affecting cold-stored peach fruit.


I do agree with you about orchadists breeding fruit for the consumers eye rather than taste and this is why I no longer buy apricots.


When I was a kid peaches never had white flesh. That shit is breed to have a pretty presentable skin, firm flesh to travel easy but it doesn't taste like the juice running down your arm peaches of my childhood.

I stood in an apricot orchard having this conversation with the orchardist as his old trees were being ripped out 20 years ago. Why would peach growers not chase the same big dollars rather than every year watching their profit margin rot away when too much fruit was ripe all at the same time.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:30am

Colin wrote:When I was a kid peaches never had white flesh. That shit is breed to have a pretty presentable skin, firm flesh to travel easy but it doesn't taste like the juice running down your arm peaches of my childhood.

Wrong.
Like I said.....our peach trees are ancient but are white fleshed. The River variety from up North is a white-fleshed peach from early last century (yay for working at PFR - I did just ring someone and ask :lol: )
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:32am

Whatever happened to Blackboy peaches?? They were yummy too... maybe the PC crowd banned them because of the name?? :lol:
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:32am

I can source you some Blackboys - one of our biometricians is bringing them in by the bag full at the moment
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:36am

scatter wrote:I can source you some Blackboys - one of our biometricians is bringing them in by the bag full at the moment

Yummo! :love:

I would love some of those. :D
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby grahamt on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:42am

I heard somewhere that unlike most other fruit, peaches don't continue to ripen after they are picked. This means that the sugar content and sweetness don't develop.

The orchardists pick them slightly hard to enable them to be packaged and transported without bruising - they therefore have not developed their full flavour when picked. Once picked they only go soft and remain relatively tasteless, like the poor examples you get at the supermarket.

I too miss the big sweet juicy peaches we used to get in Central Otago when I was a kid.
grahamt
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Mar/09 9:55am

Trail wrote:
scatter wrote:I can source you some Blackboys - one of our biometricians is bringing them in by the bag full at the moment

Yummo! :love:

I would love some of those. :D


I'll see if I can grab some tonight on the way home ;)
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby danose on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:48am

Trail wrote:Bollocks. The peaches for sale in Central Otago taste great... The problem with the ones I bought the other day is that the cold storage had ruined them.


yep - the ones in supermarkets manage to go from rock hard and inedible, to rotten, without seeming to every acutally be 'ripe'

annoyingly I had a run of GREAT peaches via a supermarket mid-feb, central otage white flesh (super juicy) - obviously not cold stored :thumbsup: . Can't find any more now :(
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:55am

scatter wrote:
Trail wrote:If I had known I would have been out there scoffing peaches :lol:

Well, you know for next summer :D
They're really good peaches too. Dunno what variety they are cos they're ancient but are white-fleshed (which I thought was a "newer" development)


red skins?

One of my workmates has a "Black Boy" peach tree and bought some into work. I've been eating poached peaches for breakfast: really rich purple colour. Fantastic.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby Slim on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:58am

I only eat the peaches from my trees, Nothing like getting home from a ride having a couple of peaches off the tree, then going inside for a beer.

Our trees were planted in the 1940's and are white flesh
Slim
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby thelivo on Tue 17/Mar/09 11:01am

Henry Dorset Case wrote: I've been eating poached peaches for breakfast: really rich purple colour. Fantastic.


Do you poach them yourself? If so - gotta recipe? Sounds gooood. :D
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: How Can I Get Good Peaches??

Postby scatter on Tue 17/Mar/09 11:13am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
scatter wrote:
Trail wrote:If I had known I would have been out there scoffing peaches :lol:

Well, you know for next summer :D
They're really good peaches too. Dunno what variety they are cos they're ancient but are white-fleshed (which I thought was a "newer" development)


red skins?

Nope, green.
Apparently they're Wiggins (clingstone versus the River variety that is freestone) - a very popular planting 50 old years ago
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Food | Gardening | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

57 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 55 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop