Re: 24 Hours Of Adrenalin World Solo 24 Hour Champs

Postby Lynskey on Mon 27/Jul/09 11:23pm

Sucks for Thomas, if I know that boy it would take one hell of a problem for him to pull out. Good on him for doing a final lap, and bloody good on him for the effort, I can't even comprehend such a race...
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby LeMatelot on Tue 28/Jul/09 8:47am

All over bar the shouting. We're out at the event site doing a final equipment cleanup.

The solo categories were all presented at the awards night on Sunday night at The Goat here in Canmore. I have added an album for last night, so here is the consolidate package of links, and I have repeated the final results below as well.

Pre Race Photos

Race Photos

Presentation Night Photos

It was great to see Tony Hogg from NZ at the presentation night. Jason and Tony really battled it out for the first half of the race. Tony spent a fair bit of time under medical care after collapsing on-course during the race. All looks good for him and we hope to see him (and a few more Kiwis) in Canberra next year.
Overall Placings Final.pdf
Shows Overall (left) and Category (right) placings in Male/Female Solos, plus teams
Downloaded 43 times
Category Summary Final.pdf
One page per category
Downloaded 31 times
Top 20 MFDN Lap Times.pdf
For Solo riders only, the top 20 Male/Female, Day/Night laps of the race
Downloaded 36 times
Lap Splits Final.pdf
Sorted by Category, All riders with their complete lap split details
Downloaded 32 times
LeMatelot
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 28/Jul/09 9:33am

It's so handy for Vorb to have an Australian-roaming-correspondent :) Cheers Russ.
wgtngrl
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby ryda on Tue 28/Jul/09 12:32pm

wgtngrl wrote:It's so handy for Vorb to have an Australian-roaming-correspondent :) Cheers Russ.

:withstupid: Thanks Russ
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby LeMatelot on Wed 29/Jul/09 5:51am

A little bit on cyclingnews.com
LeMatelot

Postby X_to_the_Y on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:22am

Thanks for the support everyone,

Here is a bit of a report or an explanation from perspective.

http://thomaslindup.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Thomas Lindup
X_to_the_Y
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Rider Race Speed-time-laps Graphs

Postby LeMatelot on Sun 2/Aug/09 12:16pm

Here are the race speed-time-laps graphs for Elite Men and Elite Women from the race. You can see:
. the criss-crossing between the top 3 men until Tony Hogg withdrew,
. how Andy Fellows and Rebecca Rusch basically rode it alone within their categories,
. the criss-crossing between places 2/3/4 in the women,
. Jess Douglas' fade in the last 6 hours,
. how Jason English pulled away from Cary Smith after sunrise, and
. how Karen Foat's consistent pace saw her overtake 2 riders later in the race.

In the graph for the U25 Men, you can see how New Zealand's Thomas Lindup:
. falls slightly behind at the start (flat tyre),
. takes the lead after about 6 hours,
. opens up the lead over the next 11 hours, and
. crashes and burns when his digestive system comes apart on him.
WSC 2409 Graph Elite Men.pdf
The graph for Elite Men
Downloaded 44 times
WSC 2409 Graph Elite Women.pdf
The graph for Elite Women
Downloaded 38 times
WSC 2409 Graph U25 Men.pdf
The graph for Under 25 Men
Downloaded 40 times
WSC 2409 Graph 45_49 Men.pdf
The graph for 45-49 Men
Downloaded 36 times
LeMatelot

Postby psychavoc on Sun 2/Aug/09 6:40pm

Once I got my head around what the graphs plotted ( :blush: ), it made for interesting viewing!
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby LeMatelot on Sun 2/Aug/09 7:16pm

psychavoc wrote:Once I got my head around what the graphs plotted ( :blush: ), it made for interesting viewing!

Ah well - I'd be interested to hear if people found them "valuable" as they are a semi-automatic process now, but making them fully automatic will require a fair bit of coding into the race software.

They can also be very useful for seeing if some riders ride together in a race - a quick check if you have a "drafting" situation to police.
LeMatelot

Postby snr_merv on Sun 2/Aug/09 7:35pm

X_to_the_Y wrote:Thanks for the support everyone,

Cheers,
Thomas Lindup

Sounds like hell, but strangely I'd still like to give that a go one day :D Congrats on the 2nd place, that's still pretty awesome, especially with your bad luck :thumbsup:
snr_merv
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby XCguy on Sun 2/Aug/09 8:17pm

X_to_the_Y wrote:Thanks for the support everyone,

Cheers,
Thomas Lindup

Brilliant reading Thomas :thumbsup: Very inspirational material. Bring on 2010!
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby dented on Sun 2/Aug/09 9:15pm

Jesus Thomas, you make 24hr solo's sound like such fun :alien:
Hard luck and better luck next time
dented
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby LeMatelot on Mon 3/Aug/09 9:10pm

Here is a full set of graphs for all the World Solo categories. A couple have Men and Women on the same page.
Last edited by LeMatelot on Tue 4/Aug/09 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.
LeMatelot

Postby basementdweller on Mon 3/Aug/09 10:22pm

blingpusher wrote:As one of Thomas' sponsors I am gutted (for him) that he didn't finish, but I'm also incredibly proud of how well he rode. To race at that pace on that course is a huge achievement, in their respective classes all the New Zealand competitors really put the hurt on their competition. It's a brutal form of racing and sometimes when you go as hard as Thomas and Tony did your body simply won't let you go on. Maybe they didn't get the results they wanted by they're both heros in my book. Well done!

We in New Plymouth are also proud of what Thomas achieved on what I understand was a very limited budget. :) From his report, it would seem not having a race day mechanic was not ideal. If he had the services of one, he shouldn't have found a flat on his tyre to fix up at the end of the run at the race start. Then having to play catch up through the hottest part of the race may have been the main reason for his body giving up after 15 laps.

I hope he is able to get someone to fill that role for him in Australia next year if he goes. If he can get there, he most likely will move up to the elite grade even though he will only be 24 in 2010. Having a full support crew, however, doesn't automatically mean success as all your stars have to be in alignment for this type of racing as Tony found out this year and Tinker did in 2008.
basementdweller
"Now looking across the bull pen"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby LeonH on Sat 8/Aug/09 4:11pm

LeMatelot wrote:At the conclusion of the solo rider brief for the 2009 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solo 24 Hour Championships (about 1630 on Friday 24 July Canmore time - 0830 Saturday 25 July Sydney time), Stuart Dorland, the Founder of 24 Hours of Adrenalin made the following public announcement:

"The 2010 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solo 24 Hour Championships will be held in Australia. I have received two very good bids from Tailwind and Canberra off-Road Cyclists and I am confident that each bid would be suitable for the 2010 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solo 24 Hour Championships.

I will be traveling to Australia in two weeks and will visit both proposed venues and have discussions with the event organisers. The venues are in South-East Queensland for Tailwind and at Stromlo Forest Park in Canberra for Canberra Off-Road Cyclists. I expect to announce the selected event some time after the UCI World Championships in early September 2009.

The winning Elite Solo Men and Women from the 2009 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solo 24 Hour Championships who are non-Australian or non-NZ riders wil receive air tickets to Australia to compete in 2010, as will the Eilte Solo Men and Women winners from the Canadian Solo 24 Hr Championships."

the album.

I'm pretty stoked about this. I live about 40 minutes from the South East Queensland venue, and it's something pretty special. They've apparently done a heap of improvements and added a lot of new track since I was last there also. IMO Tailwind are one of the best MTB promoters in Australia, and they do a lot for the sport in general over here.

Although having said that, Stromlo is amazing as well, as is nearby Sparrow Hill, also in Canberra - it's a solid day drive from my place, but I think it would be well worth the effort to see the elites do their thing, then squeeze in a few laps of Stromlo and "Ride the Bird" after the event before heading home.

I'm actually doing a Tailwind event in a couple of weeks that finishes at the proposed venue, I'll keep my ear to the ground for any whispers about how it's progressing for 2010. News does tend to travel fast around here... :)
LeonH
"L'equip de la grande poubelle"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Alberta | Canada | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Events | Mountain Biking | North America | Regions - Latest Posts