Re: Home Ventilation Systems: Do They Work Or A Crock?

Postby happybaboon on Wed 16/Dec/09 8:53pm

Right, so you've got to install a hole in the ceiling AND a fan AND some vents from the ceiling space to the outside. Still not quite understanding why they're so expensive :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Fraser on Wed 16/Dec/09 9:06pm

In Finland this morning it is -17 deg C outside, the inside it is a nice +22 deg C. They don't ventilate they seal air spaces. Normally with insulation. You guys are probably colder at nite than I am :D
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 16/Dec/09 9:17pm

Yeah but it's well established that everyone involved in designing and building homes in New Zealand is spectacularly retarded.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby cooper770 on Wed 16/Dec/09 9:29pm

we put DVS in our restored Californian bugalo and it was fantastic, when we move to the new place which is early 70's brick it was a waste of money! I've re-routed it now to be a heat transfer system as one of the outlet which was above the log fire is now connected to the suction so it draws the heat in and blows in down the hall way and bedrooms. I also draped old blankets over the foil tubes to insulate them
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Fraser on Thu 17/Dec/09 5:32am

Right so you now use the fans to blow the warm air from the log fire heat source within the rest of the house using ducting within the ceiling. Which is central heating. Same as the larger buildings that you probably work in.

Please spend your money on insulation rather than this fan heater in a tent set up.
Fraser

Postby bigJIMMY on Thu 17/Dec/09 7:49am

fraser, if your house is anything like swedish houses you have a shared oil heating system with your neighbours. you will also have triple glazed windows. (at least double).

yes the house will be insulated. but it will be blown insulation that has actually settled over time to become crap.

the only reason why your house is warm will be an amazing oil heating system and triple glazed windows,. you will use over double the electricity in a year that i use here keeping your house warm.

amiright? or am i right ?
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby cooper770 on Thu 17/Dec/09 8:25am

Fraser wrote:Right so you now use the fans to blow the warm air from the log fire heat source within the rest of the house using ducting within the ceiling. Which is central heating. Same as the larger buildings that you probably work in.

Please spend your money on insulation rather than this fan heater in a tent set up.

I noticed, when I lied in Oslo, that the houses seemed warmer and drier than in NZ....luckily the power seemed to be so much less expensive and my income was at least 4 times my NZ income....plus they have a centuries old tradition of having to build for the conditions....whilst in NZ we still are only 150 years young and have a tradition based on early colonial houses. There are now building regs which require a higher level of insulation. Since I've been in this house we have re-done the roof space insulation with rock wool, layered heavy plastic on the ground underneath, re lagged all the water pipes and Im in the process of fitting poly sheet under floor, which is made from recycled poly waste by a company based at the Porrirua landfill..
We fitted the DVS becuase we found it worked really well in the last home which was had also restored and insulated with the latest spec products. Unfortunately it doesn't work in a brick cavity wall house.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby bigJIMMY on Thu 17/Dec/09 8:33am

heavy plastic on the ground?
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Fraser on Thu 17/Dec/09 9:40am

The electricity per month is €20/month. The heating and hotwater is shared at €19/month.
The heating was off for a month for servicing last month. Our power bill went to €26.
Fraser

Postby lauretta07 on Tue 2/Feb/10 4:43pm

I think home ventilation system is really great because it is not only improve home ventilation like Ceiling Fan but it also eradicate unwanted smells. It also eliminate moisture and wipe out mold and mildew. It is a nice equipment to have in our house. Bathroom Fan
Last edited by lauretta07 on Tue 23/Feb/10 7:39pm, edited 4 times in total.
lauretta07
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby downwego on Tue 2/Feb/10 5:58pm

get a fire
downwego
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 2/Feb/10 6:34pm

downwego wrote:get a fire

I have a fire, but the running cost is actually more expensive than getting a heat pump unless you get cheap wood from somewhere, inconvenient on many levels, draw the oxygen out of the house etc etc..
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby downwego on Tue 2/Feb/10 6:37pm

ITs not that expensive you need to get with the facts trees are there for a reason for tree burning

get some fire wood ill sell you some ten grand a tonne
downwego
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Environment | Sifting - Latest Posts