Re: Home Ventilation Systems: Do They Work Or A Crock?

Postby Stun on Thu 28/May/09 10:08pm

Scotty wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:I AM THE MOISTURE MASTER.

You're not dougal stevenson? :eh:

Haha - he was in work today voicing some Moisture Master ads for an agency somewhere... for some reason.
I really should know why... what with me being the person in charge of that sort of thing. :blush:
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Fri 29/May/09 6:34am

ngn wrote:i had a system installed a downstairs flat that had some serious dampness issues (rotting carpet etc) where the tennats had been running a dehumidifier that didn't do much

the system runs warm moist air out of the house via a heat exchanger that warms up cold dry air from outside, absolutely fantastic, flat is warm and dry, easy to heat, doesn't retain cooking smells (had some tennats that cooked a lot of curries, but you couldn't smell them). The more you heat the place the warmer the dry air from outside gets..nice :)

it cost a fair chunk more than a DVS because of the extra insulated ducting and takes up a bit of space but was money really well spent, and i don't think it adds much to the power bill as its only two small fans.

I reckon the DVS type are just creating a draft from the ceiling space, and I don't see the benefit in that

got it from these guys in wgtn http://www.nrl.co.nz but i think there is someone in chch making them, brand name Avon.

I smell a rat. 1 post on vorb........................................
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Fraser on Fri 29/May/09 6:40am

Or a dead one in the loft.... :rolleyes:
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby DD-Rick on Fri 29/May/09 8:10am

sifter wrote:
nzmatto wrote:
sifter wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:
pissface wrote:the thing i don't like is taking that shitty air from in the roof and breathing it. it's filthy.

2 things -
a) unless you have gremlins stomping around stirring up all that latent dust and grime the air will be no worse than on your average city street,
b) filtration !!

I think the HRV system is closed, and brings cold air in from outside, transfers heat from the warm stale air being removed from inside, then pumps the (now warm) fresh air inside. The fact it's in the ceiling cavity is simply convenience...

...unlike DVS

Nah, HRV still takes the air from the ceiling cavity dude. It has filters, but it is the same air -- at least that's how ours is. :)

Still does a fantastic job of keeping the house dry, no weeping windows for us even with all the crappy weather over the past week.

not according to this... http://www.nrl.co.nz/main.php?page=1331

HRV is a generic term for Heat Recovery Ventilation (ie what is shown in the picture)
HRV the company has a system the same as DVS where roof space air is filtered and pumped into your house.

My post on page 2 (and the one from kirchbaum directly after it) are the answer to the initial question.
DD-Rick
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Fri 29/May/09 8:41am

DD-Rick wrote:
sifter wrote:
nzmatto wrote:
sifter wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:
pissface wrote:the thing i don't like is taking that shitty air from in the roof and breathing it. it's filthy.

2 things -
a) unless you have gremlins stomping around stirring up all that latent dust and grime the air will be no worse than on your average city street,
b) filtration !!

I think the HRV system is closed, and brings cold air in from outside, transfers heat from the warm stale air being removed from inside, then pumps the (now warm) fresh air inside. The fact it's in the ceiling cavity is simply convenience...

...unlike DVS

Nah, HRV still takes the air from the ceiling cavity dude. It has filters, but it is the same air -- at least that's how ours is. :)

Still does a fantastic job of keeping the house dry, no weeping windows for us even with all the crappy weather over the past week.

not according to this... http://www.nrl.co.nz/main.php?page=1331

HRV is a generic term for Heat Recovery Ventilation (ie what is shown in the picture)
HRV the company has a system the same as DVS where roof space air is filtered and pumped into your house.

My post on page 2 (and the one from kirchbaum directly after it) are the answer to the initial question.

Cheers for the clarification...
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby oliver range on Fri 24/Jul/09 11:28am

I wondered if a ducted warm air system was better than a combination of a heat pump and a ventilation system (like HRV or DVS etc). My findings led me to conclude that the warm air system is much better, more benefits at the same costs.
A typical Ventilation System costs between $3,000 and $5,000, it reduces condensation, freshens air, reduces dust build-up, BUT it does not provide effective heating and it can fight against convection heating systems. For one Heat Pump to a heat a room, the cost is between $3,000 and $5,000, it reduces condensation, circulates and filters air, provides cooling in summer, BUT does not heat a whole home and suffers from reduced heating output in colder weather. So for Partial Comfort I would be spending between $6,000 - $10,000 (100-160 sqm home).

Alternatively, I can get a Bonaire Ducted Heating & Air Circulation System for the same cost. This will reduce condensation, circulate and filter air, reduce dust build-up, provide a cooling-effect in summer, effectively heats a whole home, heat different zones, at different times/temps, maintain heating output in colder weather. What’s more it will use NZ’s natural resources more efficiently and effectively, it is an Asthma Foundation NZ approved product. I know which sounds better!!
Unlike Heat Pumps, there is no need to go into chilly defrost mode, plus you can enjoy quiet air distribution from many ducts not just one big blower.
Unlike Ventilation Systems, warm air reduces condensation, plus effective heating is provided efficiently on demand (you should not have warm air in your loft in winter in the evening as decent ceiling insulation should keep this heat in your rooms). So to benefit from Total Comfort I will spend between $6,000 - $10,000 (100-160 sqm home).
A warm air system is much better.
oliver range
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby thorg on Fri 24/Jul/09 11:32am

Nice advertising. :)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Spyder on Fri 24/Jul/09 11:33am

thorg wrote:almost Nice advertising. :)

Hasn't given us a phone number or website to go to!
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby thorg on Fri 24/Jul/09 11:35am

Spyder wrote:
thorg wrote:almost Nice advertising. :)

Hasn't given us a phone number or website to go to!
I know! how rude. If you going to post up an advertising blurb on a message board the least you could do is provide a web link :hmmm:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Bigfoot on Fri 24/Jul/09 11:37am

Preferably some Cyrillic text as well.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Wed 16/Dec/09 6:35pm

how are these all working??? a couple months down the track? anyone care to review?
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby notanotherhill on Wed 16/Dec/09 7:44pm

I had a HRV put in, Verry good esp in the main room its always clean air ans sleeping is better

It has also taken care of 99.9 percent of my condensation

I think these are a little too expensive for what they are, But they work

I have one vent in each room, But 2 in the lounge and dining because of high ceilings. The only thing i need is a ceiling fan to move the clean air.
notanotherhill
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 16/Dec/09 8:03pm

We had a DVS in our place. If we closed the curtains at night (which is what most people do!) the air/ draught didn't circulate past the windows. We still had condensating windows. If we left the curtains open it worked OK but let in the cold air thru the glass!!! Can't win really!

Can't comment on other systems.

But in my experience of drying damp houses, first you need to warm the air before you can take moisture out of it. A warm house will be a dryer house.

IMO airflow in a house is crucial, but if you have damp then you need to address the cause of dampness, not get a DVS/ HRV type system. Deal with the damp causing problems first and foremost. The vent systems are just panadols for damp.

Take advantage of the insulation schemes out there.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 16/Dec/09 8:11pm

Whats the difference between a DVS and just cutting a hole in your ceiling and installing some fans in the roof to blow the air back through the hole? Because that doesn't sound like it should be an expensive thing to do.......
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 16/Dec/09 8:47pm

happybaboon wrote:Whats the difference between a DVS and just cutting a hole in your ceiling and installing some fans in the roof to blow the air back through the hole? Because that doesn't sound like it should be an expensive thing to do.......

Just make sure you have some way for air to get into the ceiling space ;)

Heard a story about a system like that installed in someones house. Turns out their ceiling was nicely sealed from the outside so the air got pulled up into the ceiling from inside the walls, which came from under the house, which in turn fucked all the wall paper from moisture damage :lol:
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Environment | Sifting - Latest Posts