Re: Home Ventilation Systems: Do They Work Or A Crock?

Postby pinkmaggit on Mon 4/May/09 7:07pm

I concur. Home ventilations systems do see to work.
Spokes, it probably would, unless your castle is in a cave.
pinkmaggit
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 4/May/09 7:11pm

pinkmaggit wrote:I concur. Home ventilations systems do see to work.
Spokes, it probably would, unless your castle is in a cave.

Its on top of a large hill with a moat. I have wondered if the moat could be causing the problem.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby sifter on Mon 4/May/09 7:21pm

Check out the HRV system here Scotty, http://www.nrl.co.nz/main.php?page=1331

The DVS at my place simply used the air in the ceiling space... HRV looks like the go.
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Scotty on Mon 4/May/09 8:02pm

It interests me because I've heard heaps of people on both sides of the fence. I'm wondering why those who say it's a crock have that opinion. Whether it's because of poor set-up,some sort of user error or just plain grumpiness.

I think it looks pretty good... but yeah, don't know enough to say yes or no.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Mon 4/May/09 8:08pm

I am dubious of the benefits of them personally, I would get a heat pump before I bothered with one I think..
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Joshguy01 on Mon 4/May/09 8:12pm

Hmm well we just got HRV. It works even in our draughty castle. I've certainly noticed the difference
Joshguy01
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby ngn on Mon 4/May/09 9:48pm

i had a system installed a downstairs flat that had some serious dampness issues (rotting carpet etc) where the tennats had been running a dehumidifier that didn't do much

the system runs warm moist air out of the house via a heat exchanger that warms up cold dry air from outside, absolutely fantastic, flat is warm and dry, easy to heat, doesn't retain cooking smells (had some tennats that cooked a lot of curries, but you couldn't smell them). The more you heat the place the warmer the dry air from outside gets..nice :)

it cost a fair chunk more than a DVS because of the extra insulated ducting and takes up a bit of space but was money really well spent, and i don't think it adds much to the power bill as its only two small fans.

I reckon the DVS type are just creating a draft from the ceiling space, and I don't see the benefit in that

got it from these guys in wgtn www.nrl.co.nz but i think there is someone in chch making them, brand name Avon.
ngn
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby DD-Rick on Tue 5/May/09 8:23am

DVS and HRV type systems that 'create a draft' are fine if you live in an older house that has a few gaps and holes around windows and doors to let the air being forced into the house from the roof space to get out.

If your house is new and has no draughts then a heat exchange system like above or http://www.dryair.co.nz is better suited.

Like all things, you pay for what you get and the heat exchange sytems are more expensive

AND

Don't be conned by the 'free heat' from the roof space. This air may feel stifling hot when you stick your head in the roof space, but most of that is radiated from the roof covering not actual air temperature.
If its additional heat you want, buy a heat pump.
DD-Rick
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby kirschbaum on Thu 28/May/09 2:11pm

Hi there. I agree that the forced air systems including DVS and HRV seem better suited to older homes than newer airtight homes. DVS and HRV rely on natural gaps in the building envelope, which there are plenty of in older villas and bungalows. However, for newer airtight homes, all they are doing is circulating stale air around the home. Whether the heat blown down from the roof cavity is warmer than what's already in the living spaces - when you need it - or not (sense my skepticism), it still needs a pathway to exit the house to create the required 0.35 air changes per hour.

There seems to be polar extremes between people completely satisfied with HRV / DVS systems and those who think it doesn't work as claimed. This may be a combination of expectations vs reality, but perhaps it's a question of the type and age of house the customers have installed it in to. It would be interesting to see whether those happy with the systems own older style villas / bungalows.

For those with newer airtight homes and a forced air system installed, a major issue is going to be that the indoor, moisture-laden air (i.e. from the kitchen and bathroom) has no way to escape, it just gets pumped around the home. One cost effective solution for anyone unhappy with their forced air system could be to get some trickle vents installed into a few windows. These are a requirment as part of the building code in the UK, but not so here. This will allow you provide a ventilation path that can be opened or closed as needed. If you google trickle vents you should find some suppliers here in NZ. They're usually installed by any qualified glazier.
kirschbaum
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby pissface on Thu 28/May/09 2:28pm

Scotty wrote:It interests me because I've heard heaps of people on both sides of the fence. I'm wondering why those who say it's a crock have that opinion. Whether it's because of poor set-up,some sort of user error or just plain grumpiness.

I think it looks pretty good... but yeah, don't know enough to say yes or no.

the thing i don't like is taking that shitty air from in the roof and breathing it. it's filthy.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Thu 28/May/09 5:39pm

pissface wrote:the thing i don't like is taking that shitty air from in the roof and breathing it. it's filthy.

2 things -
a) unless you have gremlins stomping around stirring up all that latent dust and grime the air will be no worse than on your average city street,
b) filtration !!
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Thu 28/May/09 5:49pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:
pissface wrote:the thing i don't like is taking that shitty air from in the roof and breathing it. it's filthy.

2 things -
a) unless you have gremlins stomping around stirring up all that latent dust and grime the air will be no worse than on your average city street,
b) filtration !!

I think the HRV system is closed, and brings cold air in from outside, transfers heat from the warm stale air being removed from inside, then pumps the (now warm) fresh air inside. The fact it's in the ceiling cavity is simply convenience...

...unlike DVS
sifter

Postby nzmatto on Thu 28/May/09 7:22pm

sifter wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:

2 things -
b) filtration !!

I think the HRV system is closed, and brings cold air in from outside, transfers heat from the warm stale air being removed from inside, then pumps the (now warm) fresh air inside. The fact it's in the ceiling cavity is simply convenience...

...unlike DVS

Nah, HRV still takes the air from the ceiling cavity dude. It has filters, but it is the same air -- at least that's how ours is. :)

Still does a fantastic job of keeping the house dry, no weeping windows for us even with all the crappy weather over the past week.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Thu 28/May/09 10:02pm

nzmatto wrote:
sifter wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:

2 things -
b) filtration !!

...unlike DVS

Nah, HRV still takes the air from the ceiling cavity dude. It has filters, but it is the same air -- at least that's how ours is. :)

Still does a fantastic job of keeping the house dry, no weeping windows for us even with all the crappy weather over the past week.

not according to this... http://www.nrl.co.nz/main.php?page=1331
Vent_hse_circ_med.gif
sifter

Postby Spokes on Thu 28/May/09 10:07pm

nzmatto wrote:
sifter wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:

2 things -
b) filtration !!

...unlike DVS

So if you fart you get to smell it over and over again? :butbut:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Environment | Sifting - Latest Posts