Postby Angusdog on Tue 19/Jun/07 10:48am

Fliers scramble for safety cards
The Dominion Post | Tuesday, 19 June 2007
Passengers hurriedly read flight safety information cards as their flight from Timaru to Wellington circled before making a nerve-racking crash landing in Blenheim.


Should have read them when they were told to, not that anyone does. I can imagine the flurry of hands into seat pockets. "Emergency liferaft? Where's my nearest escape hatch? Does it still help if I put my head between someone else's knees?"
Angusdog
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Tugboat on Tue 19/Jun/07 10:56am

Angusdog wrote:
Fliers scramble for safety cards
The Dominion Post | Tuesday, 19 June 2007
Passengers hurriedly read flight safety information cards as their flight from Timaru to Wellington circled before making a nerve-racking crash landing in Blenheim.


Should have read them when they were told to, not that anyone does. I can imagine the flurry of hands into seat pockets. "Emergency liferaft? Where's my nearest escape hatch? Does it still help if I put my head between someone else's knees?"


On those little planes there is no flight attendant to tell you to read them. I've never had the pilot bother, or if he has I haven't heard it.
Tugboat
User avatar
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Jun/07 11:18am

Vinnie wrote: Good thing it wasn't one of these ones!

Instead of ripping the arms off the prop, you would rip the engines off the wings (or the wings off the plane) :0


Yeah, but there's a lot more space between the bottom of the plane and the passengers bottoms in one of those :huh:

Also the airport would have that slippery foam lubricant to lay down first. Ooooooh slippery.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby dh_winner on Tue 19/Jun/07 11:42am

how shit scarey would it be to be the bugger sitting parrallel with the props? I would be worried that pieces would be coming through the wall
dh_winner
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Butch on Tue 19/Jun/07 2:46pm

Just got home from work after an overnight last night, I showed up at the airport about an hour after it happened, and got to sit round for about 2 & a half hours before they cleared the runway of bits of the props so we could take off.

The boys did an awesome job, it was a textbook effort. All the passengers were spoken to one on one about what to expect before the landing (I guess thats a luxury you get when there's only 15 passengers on board as opposed to 400), and as it turned out, the landing was a bit of a non event, the aircraft ended up in pretty good condition afterwards, apart from the obvious damage to the props.

The 1st officer is a keen mountain biker.. ;)
Butch
User avatar
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Malcy on Tue 19/Jun/07 3:42pm

dh_winner wrote: how shit scarey would it be to be the bugger sitting parrallel with the props? I would be worried that pieces would be coming through the wall



That's the thing, I was totally surprised that there was no apparent fuselage damage via shattering props. I guess though, that they must be designed to fragment.

Was amazing pilot skill at the end of the day.
Malcy
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Butch on Tue 19/Jun/07 3:44pm

Malcy wrote: I guess though, that they must be designed to fragment.


I hope not! :crazy:


There's very little weight/inertia in them, the blades are all made from a kevlar composite
Butch
User avatar
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby STKL on Tue 19/Jun/07 3:48pm

:crazy: uhhh whats wrong with it?
STKL
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

43 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 41 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle