Hiring Snow Chains

Postby DogsBollocks on Mon 7/Jun/10 8:33pm

Hi, sorry to ask here but gotta do Ch-Ch to Greymouth return for a funeral on Wednesday and figured carrying chains might be a plan. Never had to get them before so where do I go ? Looked on teh interwebs but can't really see anywhere.

Help much appreciated. :)
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Hiring Snow Chains

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 7/Jun/10 8:43pm

DogsBollocks wrote:Hi, sorry to ask here but gotta do Ch-Ch to Greymouth return for a funeral on Wednesday and figured carrying chains might be a plan. Never had to get them before so where do I go ? Looked on teh interwebs but can't really see anywhere.

ring any of the local shops that do ski hire
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Spyder on Mon 7/Jun/10 10:15pm

Hamco in town, Ian Scobie tyres (http://yellow.co.nz/companies/Tyres/Ian-Scobie-Tyres-&-Mechanical/102857089_1671.html are 2 that I can think of.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby neels on Tue 8/Jun/10 10:38am

DogsBollocks wrote:Hi, sorry to ask here but gotta do Ch-Ch to Greymouth return for a funeral on Wednesday and figured carrying chains might be a plan. Never had to get them before so where do I go ? Looked on teh interwebs but can't really see anywhere.

For what size tyres? Somebody may have some you can borrow...
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 8/Jun/10 12:12pm

Maaan, just found out the car we were going in (bro's XR6) is not compatible with snow chains. Time to look for a new plan ! Apparently this is common to quite a few later model XR6's for all you car/ski buffs out there if you're thinking of getting one. :)
DogsBollocks

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 8/Jun/10 12:51pm

DogsBollocks wrote:Maaan, just found out the car we were going in (bro's XR6) is not compatible with snow chains. Time to look for a new plan ! Apparently this is common to quite a few later model XR6's for all you car/ski buffs out there if you're thinking of getting one. :)

well at least you will get to the closed bit quicker :-0
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 8/Jun/10 12:52pm

Take the train!
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Spyder on Tue 8/Jun/10 12:54pm

DogsBollocks wrote:Maaan, just found out the car we were going in (bro's XR6) is not compatible with snow chains. Time to look for a new plan ! Apparently this is common to quite a few later model XR6's for all you car/ski buffs out there if you're thinking of getting one. :)

I've had chains on the 05 XR6 I had a few years ago. Probably wouldn't take the standard big chunky types, but the more expensive "stand-back-and-throw-them-at-the-car" ones fitted OK (as in no rubbing). That was on the standard 17's.

You can't beat plenty of power, rear wheel drive and a LSD for skifield road fun :D
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 8/Jun/10 1:08pm

Spyder wrote:

I've had chains on the 05 XR6 I had a few years ago. Probably wouldn't take the standard big chunky types, but the more expensive "stand-back-and-throw-them-at-the-car" ones fitted OK (as in no rubbing). That was on the standard 17's.

You can't beat plenty of power, rear wheel drive and a LSD for skifield road fun :D

It's an '05 BF with 18's on it. Handbook, Hutchies and Hamco all said no ! Funeral at 11 so too late for train.

Looks like an early morning via Reefton ! :crazy:
DogsBollocks

Postby chchbob on Tue 8/Jun/10 2:01pm

DogsBollocks wrote:
Looks like an early morning via Reefton ! :crazy:

Check land transport site, I recal something about slips this morning around Reefton.
chchbob
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Sifting - Latest Posts