Re: High Heart Rate On Garmin Hrm?

Postby cruiser on Fri 11/Feb/11 7:57am

jeyboi wrote:Does she have pierced nipples?

*lurks* :paranoid:

in all seriousness, she'd know if it was her ticker - it's interference from somewhere.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Conners on Fri 11/Feb/11 9:43am

Conners wrote:
jo wrote:Underwire?

Aha! Good thinking batman. I shall investigate...

Answer to this one is yes. Hmmmm.....

jeyboi wrote:Does she have pierced nipples?

:lol:
No.

cruiser wrote:in all seriousness, she'd know if it was her ticker - it's interference from somewhere.

As stated in the original post, she has a heart murmour - apparently. But also as stated, my Polar (with the "wear fit" strap) works fine (on her, wearing the same clothes etc).
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 11/Feb/11 4:49pm

Conners - have you seen Cherry 2000 ?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 11/Feb/11 7:44pm

I just had a look through some Garmin logs, one graph has lots of sharp upward spikes like yours, dunno why. I found that low battery and dry skin make bad readings.

The pickup does not have to be on the front of the chest, you can try it offset to the left or on the left side of your back.

You could try swapping straps with another Garmin user to see if there is a hardware fault.
Upgrade your firmware first if that is possible with your unit.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Fri 11/Feb/11 11:07pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:Conners - have you seen Cherry 2000 ?
:D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Wed 16/Feb/11 11:12am

Ahhhh, nope - and for some reason I don't want to do a google search at work!

Bit of an update, took the strap to a jeweler to replace the battery. Photo shows the inside of the battery compartment, what looks like a good mix of corrosion and battery acid. It's on its was back for replacement now, hopefully this was at least part of the cause...
IMG_6510_edited.JPG
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Conners on Thu 24/Feb/11 9:28am

Word just in from wiggle, they have a replacement unit on the way and have fully reimbursed me for the return freight.

Happy I am :)
Whether this will solves the high HR reading issue remains to be seen though :paranoid:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby ThingOne on Thu 24/Feb/11 9:38am

Conners wrote:Word just in from wiggle, they have a replacement unit on the way and have fully reimbursed me for the return freight.

Happy I am :)
Whether this will solves the high HR reading issue remains to be seen though :paranoid:

Sweat would have got in past the seal, happened to one of mine a few years back, polar straps are the best in that there is no battery cover (although expensive when battery does go flat)

When you get the new one, put some silcone lube, ie that stuff they use on underwater camera housings on the threads and screw it back down again.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Thu 24/Feb/11 9:46am

That's not a bad idea Clive - although it was only used a handful of times and gave issues right out of the box.
Will definietly inspect the new one prior to use!
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby ThingOne on Thu 24/Feb/11 9:55am

Conners wrote:That's not a bad idea Clive - although it was only used a handful of times and gave issues right out of the box.
Will definietly inspect the new one prior to use!

I sweated out a Sigma one after a single ride..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby cauld on Fri 2/Nov/12 7:13am

I have a bunch of the Garmin straps including the original hard strap as well as both a series 1 and series 2 version of the soft straps. I still much prefer the reliability of the original hard strap.

I am super excited about the new 4iii's Viiivia strap http://4iiii.com/pdf/Viiiivia_release.pdf. It's basically an ANT+ to Bluetooth smart protocol bridge incorporated into a strap. So it'll read all your ANT+ sensors and rebroadcast on BTLE. Totally getting one of those when they ship... and someday we might even see the Garmin Vector pedals ship too but at the moment I'm thinking strongly about one of the http://www.stagescycling.com/stageone power meters for the mountain bike too.
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 2/Nov/12 5:00pm

Conners wrote:

Ahhhh, nope - and for some reason I don't want to do a google search at work!

Sooooo .... have you seen it yet?

Made in 1985. It was a commercial flop - the mixture of Mad Max themes, comedy, violence, sci-fi, sex robots and the Hoover Dam was hard to sell. One critic called it "aimless futuristic action babble".

It's a classic cult movie. Not a chick flick but it is a love story with many memorable scenes.
If you don't like Melanie Griffith you'll like her in this.

You can't buy it AFAIK but there is a 1GB torrent in English on Isohunt.

cherry-2000 - 1986.jpg
Cherry 2000, 1986

"No sandwiches for him then."
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Fri 2/Nov/12 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Fat Burglar on Fri 2/Nov/12 6:05pm

This comes up as a regular item on the Garmin forums. It seems that many people 'lick' the contacts on their HR strap (come on, admit you do too), but apparently it's better to use a small squeeze of aqueous cream, liquid soap, moisturiser or chamois cream on the pickups on the strap instead of water or salivia. You get a much better contact with the skin and your HR readings should even out. Mine settled down since I switched to a bit of 'lube :blush:
Fat Burglar
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby Fat Burglar on Fri 2/Nov/12 6:08pm

cauld wrote:... and someday we might even see the Garmin Vector pedals ship too....

Yeah Right. lol
Fat Burglar
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Fri 2/Nov/12 7:00pm

I have, back in the day. I remember it being super-schlocky but so bad it was good.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Cycling | Health | Running | Sifting - Latest Posts