Re: Hey Dickhead

Postby barcode on Fri 22/May/15 4:57pm

It's not about being "cool" ; Breaking the law for the sake of doing it isn't something I consider to be hip or fly - besides, testing the coercive power of the state has it's consequences.

Neither am I trying to justify such naughty behaviour and the irreparable social damage it causes - I'm simply trying to explain a small piece of reality that I know with intimate familiarity.

I could wax lyrical about the thousands of hours I've spent on a bike in an urban environment, the complex etiquette of road use or the deficiencies of infrastructure - but no one wants to hear that.

0e9.jpg
barcode
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby danose on Fri 22/May/15 6:46pm

barcode wrote:I could wax lyrical about the thousands of hours I've spent on a bike in an urban environment, the complex etiquette of road use or the deficiencies of infrastructure - but no one wants to hear that.

my heart bleeds for you - why not just get a real job, hell even starbucks pays better than couriering (though it does require basic social skills and hygiene - something I generally find bike couriers lack)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 22/May/15 9:33pm

lol barcode, moar like barchode amirite
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby umog on Sat 23/May/15 10:01am

danose wrote:
my heart bleeds for you - why not just get a real job, hell even starbucks pays better than couriering (though it does require basic social skills and hygiene - something I generally find bike couriers lack)

Goes back to the original comment justifying the idiot's running of red lights "because the industry is so competitive".

So wake up and comprehend that being a courier is a lifestyle, a luxury job where you get to ride around all day and pretend you are doing something productive.
umog
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby znomit on Sat 23/May/15 10:06am

umog wrote:Goes back to the original comment justifying the idiot's running of red lights "because the industry is so competitive".

Yeah, couriers drive cars too, and they are generally pretty responsible from what I've seen.

Except the prick who leaves stuff by the letterbox on rainy days. :hmmm:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Sat 23/May/15 10:28am

barcode wrote:Please don't misquote me, you illiterate fuddyduddy.

Some general context: I am a courier, but I am not the one on the Klein. I did show him your post though - he found it strange and amusing that people are/were talking about him on the internets.

Anyway, it shouldn't take a whole bunch of empathy to put oneself in the position of a courier - what we do isn't rocket science, afterall; just logistics. People want shit to move from A to B within a defined period of time. A lot of people moving shit in different directions all at once. Fail to make the time, risk not being paid - or worse, pissing off the customer and losing their contract. Everything is stat-tracked and gps'd these days. It's a competitive industry where every company is offering essentially the same service. Numbers don't stay green, someone in Auckland starts a ball of shit rolling all the way down the hill.

Now, for an expected dose of hashtag messlife arrogance: Don't make the mistake of lumping all cyclists together. What you do and what we do is a world apart.

Make no mistake: I'm not disagreeing with you on any particular point, but merely suggesting that your opinion is priggish and your means of expression boorish. :love:

Oh Hai Toetag, illiterate fuddy duddy here.

The eloquence of your dissertation moved me. I may have even shed a tear.
I'm stunned you have taken so much time to defend your "friend" ;) and your occupation, when your time may have been better spent writing a strongly worded letter to your local MP proclaiming your outrage that the poor downtrodden cycle courier was not more adequately catered for in last weeks budget. The groundswell of support for your plight is obviously huge. I'm sure they will listen.

Or......to be priggish and boorish. You're full of shit you fuckin idiot, pull your wooly head in before you and your dicksmokin mate get an arse full of car. :thumbsup:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Kyle on Sat 23/May/15 10:48am

Yo Bollocks, start a petition to ban cycle couriering. Show them the true power of the people!...or be an ass, that's cool too I suppose.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby barcode on Sat 23/May/15 10:57am

I guess you guys just don't want to understand.

Every stroke of my pedals cleans the air; every day on the bike is a small victory for Mother Earth. Are you part of the solution or...?

I ride more miles in a month than you will in five years. My technical abilities will be remembered in the great songs passed down through the generations. Men and women of all ages and stations swoon at the site of my Lycra-clad package. I am the hero that this city needs. As cyclists - nay, as HUMAN BEINGS - you should fall at my feet and worship me as the bronzed god that I am.

I believe in you guys. I know there's a lot of love left in your hearts - I just want to help you let it out. :music:
barcode
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 23/May/15 11:24am

I'm gushing so hard right now
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby umog on Sat 23/May/15 11:42am

barcode wrote:I guess you guys just don't want to understand.

I'm thinking it is you that is having trouble with comprehension.

Pull your head in or people will rip you a new one.

If you can't envision the forms of displeasure that you are about to reap, I will help you out.

Can't be hard to figure out the courier company of the purple one.
PLENTY of people here are YOUR customers, smart mouth.

A quick call might be made, or it could even be that business goes elsewhere without even bothering with that pleasantry.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Then there is direct action.

Ultra-busy lifestlye?
There are ways to make you slow down and smell the roses.

Many a spare Ulock lurks in the back of a vorber shed...

Ever have one of those weeks when you keep finding that you have broken a couple of spokes, really gets old, especially when they are on the drive side.

Happy times ahead :)
umog
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby Claude on Sat 23/May/15 2:59pm

Every stroke of my pedals cleans the air; every day on the bike is a small victory for Mother Earth. Are you part of the solution or...?

I ride more miles in a month than you will in five years. My technical abilities will be remembered in the great songs passed down through the generations. Men and women of all ages and stations swoon at the site of my Lycra-clad package. I am the hero that this city needs. As cyclists - nay, as HUMAN BEINGS - you should fall at my feet and worship me as the bronzed god that I am.

I believe in you guys. I know there's a lot of love left in your hearts - I just want to help you let it out. :music:

This sounds like the makings of a (c)rap song here :p
Claude
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Sun 24/May/15 10:40pm

part of the precipitate ? :sly:

you may have the high ground over the general population, but within the cycling community you are just someone that makes us all red light runners. it is not about reality it is perception, that is what you just don't seem/want to understand.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 25/May/15 12:30pm

UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Barbsarama on Mon 25/May/15 1:32pm

I actually feel for the cycle couriers. I think it's a cool job that I would love to do but likely wouldn't have the energy to do it. Yep, it's also a lifestyle, just like building or being a gym instructor or being a data analyst - whatever floats your boat.

I think cycle couriers get it tough, on the bike all day, bored with traffic lights and cars and pedestrians getting in their way etc. However I don't think this excuses riding without a helmet (unless as has been mentioned earlier some sort of special dispensation has been sought) and I also don't think it excuses breaking the road rules... Just cause you're really good at something and have a lot of pressure on you doesn't make it right to break the rules. I'm really good at my job and I have a lot of pressure on me, but I still have to obey the law. That's the thing, the law is an equalizer (well, supposed to be but let's not get into that here) and should apply to all.

It's a hard knock life...

PS, if you all obey the rules etc then the times won't be so achievable :)
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby R+P+K on Mon 25/May/15 1:44pm

UK_Exile wrote:Is this guy a cycle courier? http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/688 ... decker-bus

Apparently, the rider in question commented on the video and said:

It was me. Thought i'd just get the lights, hence the speed. Realised it wasn't happening, squeezed the front brake. Cable snapped. Not enough time to lose speed on back wheel in the wet.
Not fun.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts