Help With My Peugot Super Vitus 980

Postby Buff.K on Sun 15/Apr/12 3:03pm

Gday, just been tidying up a bit round home and clearing out some things on TradeMe. I'd thought I'd put up my old Peugot, but really, I'm loathe to get rid of this bike, I think it's pretty rad.

Problem is I know nothing about bikes other than I love to ride them. I was riding this wee peach around Chch, long bays and stuff pre earthquake but I don't know if I'm unlucky or what but I get a tonne of punctures on this bike and cos its tubular if I ride over a big bit of glass or a nail it stings me $40 to get a new tube (I've filled them with that glue stuff but that haven't had much luck with that).

How do I go about putting some clinchers on this? I tried swapping over some clinchers from my commuting bike but it didn't fit. How much would I be looking at for some clinchers? It's a 30 year old bike so don't really wanna shell out too much.

Buff.K
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Help With My Peugot Super Vitus 980

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 15/Apr/12 5:45pm

Beautiful!
Clinchers are easy, you need 700C narrow-ish rims as fitted to every road bike since the late 1980s.
A modern 8/9/10 speed rear wheel will fit by springing the rear fork out 4mm, but it is easier and cheaper to find a 6/7 speed wheel.

Any road front wheel will fit except the very ancient 27", and possibly some of the wide ones fitted to hybrids.
You want the standard 700C / ETRTO 622mm rim and 100mm hub spacing. Anything that looks like a racing bike and isn't 27" has what you need.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sun 15/Apr/12 10:05pm

IF you want to go new . . . . cheapest clinchers ive seen is shimano r500 $140 in the devils shop (T7) hardly top shelf, but might be ok for commuting but then add tyres and tubes $80 online and cost of springing frame ??25-40$ and I'm unsure if your derailleur will work on a wider hub . . . .
how much did you want to spend??
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 16/Apr/12 2:57am

The R500s are sometimes impressively cheap (only for a light rider) but I reckon it is a fashion crime to put them on an original French bike from 1982-83.
The original wheels have 36 stainless spokes so anything less than 32 might look a bit strange. The R500s have 20 + 24 spokes and are black, that's just not natural. :crazy:
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 16/Apr/12 8:59am

less of a crime than not riding a bike though . . . . :blink:
seems to me that brand new wheels could be a silly expensive option

btw that chain looks to need some shortening too.
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby TukitukiFREERIDER on Mon 16/Apr/12 9:54am

These would be pretty dope on it i reckon. Sounds like on wider 8/9/10-speed freehub body you will just need a 4.5 mm spacer behind a 7-speed cassette so will be sweet.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling ... 962611.htm

Heres a nice example of something similar
http://velospace.org/node/11414
TukitukiFREERIDER
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 16/Apr/12 2:31pm

TukitukiFREERIDER wrote:These would be pretty dope on it i reckon. Sounds like on wider 8/9/10-speed freehub body you will just need a 4.5 mm spacer behind a 7-speed cassette so will be sweet.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling ... 962611.htm

Heres a nice example of something similar
http://velospace.org/node/11414

Hey that's an excellent set of wheels. In good nick I'd guess they would be a better investment at $250 or so than the same money spent on a new wheelset. Condition of used wheels is pretty variable though.

Watch out for postage. Bike shops can do it cheaper with Fastway or PBT but the public has to use NZPost, about $42 a set before the recent price changes.
Simonius_Titius

Postby Buff.K on Mon 16/Apr/12 6:28pm

Hey thanks for the ideas guys, that bike does look awesome.

Ok, so if I picked up those wheels on TradeMe I'd need to pick up a cassette as well? I cant use the one on my current wheel (6 speed I think). Get a store to fix it on, and shorten the chain, and I'm away?
Buff.K
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 16/Apr/12 11:29pm

No your existing 6 speed is either a standard English screwon cluster or a Maillard Helicomatic cassette.
An 8/9/10 speed wheel like the one above has a Shimano splined freehub. 7 speed cassettes are as low as you can go, with a spacer. But 8 speed makes more sense.

If your front chainrings are in good enough nick to work with a new chain you would put a new 8 speed cassette and a new 8 speed chain on.

The shop will size and join the chain, and will give you one that will work with your chainrings at the front. (Your rings don't have lifting pins so you can't use a smooth sided chain).
Simonius_Titius

kolo1
Member for: 3 weeks 5 days

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts