Help Support Master’s Women Track Cycling!

Postby Gemz on Tue 3/Feb/09 1:28pm

If you are or if you know of any could you please pass this information on?

Currently there are no events for Masters Women track cyclists at the National Track Cycling Championships. Every other category has events from Under 15’s, Masters Men to AWD.

But over the last two years four NZ rider’s have achieved seven UCI World Championships track medal wins in 2007 and again 2008 but we don't get to ride in a national championship event in our own country.

After contacting BikeNZ they are open to the possibility of including events at the 2010 Track Nationals, potentially introducing two events, 500mTT and a pursuit.

For this to happen the centre/club’s have to submit a motion at the Cycling NZ AGM which is in May.

If you are a masters women cyclist, know of someone who is, or want to offer your support for masters women’s events to be included at the track nationals, you can do so by simply asking your centre/club to submit a motion for the additional of these events.
Gemz
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Help Support Master’s Women Track Cycling!

Postby Oli on Tue 3/Feb/09 7:23pm

Good luck, Gemz! I'll try and rark up some women I know to make some noise... :sneaky:
Oli
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Gemz on Tue 3/Feb/09 7:43pm

Thanks Oli!

The events that they are looking at having (500mTT and pursuit) are excellent for women who may not be super confident on the track riding in bunches but want to be competitive.

And I haven't got an adgenda to pursue this for myself as I plan on competiting in the sprint in the women's cateogry until i'm too slow to be selected!!!
Gemz

Postby Gemz on Tue 10/Feb/09 6:34pm

UPDATE: from Rachael Neutze, Events Officer at Bike NZ:

Great news for your Masters Women riders, there is now no excuse to get out on the track and compete at the RaboPlus National Track Championships in Invercargill!

This year there will be 2 test events offered for Masters women as part of the RaboPlus National Track Championships. The 500m TT and 2k Pursuit will be offered for masters women. However, please note, these events will be demonstration events for 2009 and there will be no medals presented.

If these events are well supported by high competitor numbers, the events may be ratified as Championship events at the CNZ AGM in May.

If there are any riders interested in participating, please email me their contact details ASAP.
Gemz

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts