Help Needed, How To Adjust Forks. - Pics Added

Postby BigMike on Fri 12/Jun/15 10:12am

Hey guys

I have a 2006 GT Avalanche 2.0.
Bikepedia says it has a 80 - 120mm fork. Its currently sitting between 80 and 90mm, if I pull the forks down I can get a fair bit more travel but I have to pull pretty hard. Question is, how do I adjust it out to sit at 120mm?

Link to bikepedia - http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2006&brand=GT&model=Avalanche+2.0+Disc

Thanks in advance

Mike
Last edited by BigMike on Sun 14/Jun/15 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigMike
Member for: 2 years 4 months

Re: Help Needed, How To Adjust Forks.

Postby BigMike on Fri 12/Jun/15 11:04am

I should also add, I have tried turning the adjustment knob, dosnt seem to do much?
BigMike

Postby Kev on Fri 12/Jun/15 11:08am

That bikepedia link you provided said it's a RST Omega T6
And a quick websearch turned up these comments

On the left fork (left fork being the fork on the left if im sitting on the bike facing forward), there's this knob which has the word RST in the middle, and an anti clock wise arrow labeled ( - ) , and a clockwise arrrow labeled ( + ) . Could someone kindly tell me what happens if i turn anti clock wise (-) or clock wise (+)
I know this is a way old reply but for anyone that may find it useful... On my 2006 RST Omega T6, the left knob adjusts travel (80 mm to 120 mm)--not sure if it affects stiffness too. The right push button is to lock out the fork to make it rigid.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby BigMike on Fri 12/Jun/15 11:28am

Thanks Kev

I did the same thing and found that link but turning that knob dosnt do anything on mine. No leaks but maybe there due for a service?
BigMike

Postby NickCW on Fri 12/Jun/15 11:54am

I had a similar experience with the RST Omega T5 back in '04, the adjustments didn't do bugger all.

I don't think Rampage level hucks would get full travel out of the one I had. The elastomers were strong in that one...
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 12/Jun/15 8:20pm

The adjusters sound like preload, which simply squish the springs a bit to change the ride height by about half an inch max.
You won't notice much.

As for travel adjust. Depends what it originally was and how it was supposed to work. RST documentation isn't flash so rip in and take a look is about the only option left.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby BigMike on Sun 14/Jun/15 4:23pm

20150614_114547.jpg
20150614_114301.jpg
20150614_114250.jpg
20150614_114245.jpg
20150614_113951.jpg

Well I pulled them apart. Pics attached.
In the left /spring side, the insert came out and as you can see the spring is in 2 piece's with a threaded rod in the middle which winds out and space's out to make the 'travel' longer when the travel adjustment knob is turned. The thing is the adjuster winds out the top side of the threaded rod only which adds 25mm and the bottom stays snug tight. When I un threaded the bottom spring assembly manually while it was apart, the female part that the threaded rod goes into only has a 20mm sleeve. If I wind out the bottom adjustment as well then reassemble will it be ok? Dangerous?

Hope this makes sense, I'm sure the pics will help.

Thanks in advance
Mike
BigMike

Re: Help Needed, How To Adjust Forks. - Pics Added

Postby Dougal on Mon 15/Jun/15 9:13am

You're on the right track. I can't quite see in the photos, what is the mechanism that lets the adjuster turn the double screw in the middle?
Dougal

Postby BigMike on Mon 15/Jun/15 1:07pm

Hi Dougal. Thanks for your advice, I cant see due the heat shrink but I'm pretty sure there is a rod from the adjustment knob running through the top spring and fixed to the double screw. The hard part is that the bottom spring isnt fixed to anything except that double screw so if its half wound out, how will I tighten the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork without turning the bottom spring assembly and shortening it again?
BigMike

Postby Dougal on Mon 15/Jun/15 2:25pm

I've never worked on that specific fork. But others with similar systems have the last coil in the spring wound to a D shape and the lower compression rod locks into it to stop it turning.
Dougal

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks | Suspension Forks - Latest Posts