Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 13/Nov/14 4:22pm

dented wrote:
znomit wrote:
AgrAde wrote: they're providing a warranty for the lifetime of the frame on the BB threads with the solution being an equivilent replacement frame.

Or the lifetime of the LBS, whichever is shorterer.
This is a salient point.

4:1 on the BB
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Thu 13/Nov/14 5:04pm

Dont take the frame back
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Thu 13/Nov/14 5:15pm

Mickyfinn wrote:Dont take the frame back

what i mean is leave it with them
Mickyfinn

Postby Sims on Thu 13/Nov/14 6:02pm

Right... Finally got in contact with the store manager. They're confident that the repair is good and will last long term - As such they've agreed to provide a written warranty on the repair work, to either replace the front triangle, or replace the frame with a new equivalent. I'm fine with that outcome, as it gives me a 'get out of jail free' card should the need arise.

The lesson here for me is to esculate things much sooner; Got much better service dealing with the decision maker. Second lesson is to never let anyone do anything ever. bah. Exhausting...
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Thu 13/Nov/14 6:15pm

problem is you have to deal with a shop that is dodgy
Mickyfinn

Postby znomit on Thu 13/Nov/14 6:39pm

Sims wrote:Right... Finally got in contact with the store manager. They're confident that the repair is good and will last long term - As such they've agreed to provide a written warranty on the repair work, to either replace the front triangle, or replace the frame with a new equivalent. I'm fine with that outcome, as it gives me a 'get out of jail free' card should the need arise.

The lesson here for me is to esculate things much sooner; Got much better service dealing with the decision maker. Second lesson is to never let anyone do anything ever. bah. Exhausting...

Was there a lifetime warranty on the frame?
I'd ask that they(or another dealer) confirm this is still OK.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 13/Nov/14 8:42pm

Sims wrote:Right... Finally got in contact with the store manager. They're confident that the repair is good and will last long term - As such they've agreed to provide a written warranty on the repair work, to either replace the front triangle, or replace the frame with a new equivalent. I'm fine with that outcome, as it gives me a 'get out of jail free' card should the need arise.

dont take it back until such warranty is actually provided. get it signed dated and witnessed.
then take one of their children as insurance . . . . .
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Danny B on Thu 13/Nov/14 9:07pm

I am blown away by this thread. I've had some dopey stuff done (or not done) by some dodgy wrenches over the years but nothing even remotely in this league of herp-derpery.

Slim wrote:you can't recut that thread in that way. at best they have used shit/blunt taps and essentially cold formed the threads.

^This.

There's no way that I'd be taking their word for it being "okay". I'd be getting them to pony up for a new frame - pure and simple. They muffed it up, they should fix it. You have the Consumers Guarantees Act requiring them to find a suitable solution.

If they don't come to the party NAME AND SHAME (and pls edit yr OP to include the store name). I don't every want to take a frame for respray to a clown that does shit like that.

my 2c
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby sketchaa on Wed 22/Jul/15 4:19pm

If you don't have any joy out of the shop that did it, it should be possible to extract the pressfit bearings from the cups and swap the 24mm bore bearing to the drive side thus solving the 'stepped' issue. However it's not going to work the way it was designed where the threads oppose the rotational force of the crank to prevent loosening, so at least a dot of low grade threadlocker on each side would be worth doing...
sketchaa
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts