Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Sims on Mon 10/Nov/14 9:41am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Wobbler wrote:If someone is a dumb enough cunzor to plough through thread like that no amount of labeling with help them

indeed.

They presumably used the BB as a makeshift tap. the loominum will be softer but it might pay to have a look at the bb itself.

The frame part was given to the shop monkey sans BB.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 10/Nov/14 1:09pm

So you have by now spoken to the proprietor, yes? Uttered the fateful words "How are you going to fix this, cuntflaps?" and awaited the response which is "Here take my Lamborghini whilst I flay the mechanic's hide into a nice new seat for you and you await the delivery of your new Pinarello"

.................right?

or are we still at the "I know, I'll ask the invisible voices in my head, aka the internet, what to do, because that always works out... except for that time they told me to burn down that school, but that was just the once and really, no one was using it because it was at night and I dont know why it was such a big deal"

right?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Sims on Thu 13/Nov/14 10:03am

Dougal wrote:Ultimately reverse cutting threads will only make them ~50% weaker. It could be recut and it may be okay but it could recut and be complete poo. If it takes the usual tightening torque of the BB cups (40Nm roughly) and doesn't pull out then it's likely okay. You will know by how firmly it pulls up (or pulls out).

After spending the week chasing for updates and getting nowhere, I dropped in this morning to find that they've had success with recutting the thread. I got them to back out the BB in store and re-torque it to spec, and it holds fine.

So ultimately this qualifies as 'fixed' as it works within the manufactures specs (and the above Dougal specs). I still feel dirty though.
Sims

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 13/Nov/14 10:23am

Sims wrote:
Dougal wrote:Ultimately reverse cutting threads will only make them ~50% weaker. It could be recut and it may be okay but it could recut and be complete poo. If it takes the usual tightening torque of the BB cups (40Nm roughly) and doesn't pull out then it's likely okay. You will know by how firmly it pulls up (or pulls out).

After spending the week chasing for updates and getting nowhere, I dropped in this morning to find that they've had success with recutting the thread. I got them to back out the BB in store and re-torque it to spec, and it holds fine.

So ultimately this qualifies as 'fixed' as it works within the manufactures specs (and the above Dougal specs). I still feel dirty though.

I it just me that feels extremely suspicious?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 13/Nov/14 10:25am

I would not accept this as a reasonable solution.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Slim on Thu 13/Nov/14 10:33am

you can't recut that thread in that way. at best they have used shit/blunt taps and essentially cold formed the threads.

Might be ok, might not. you'll find out next time you remove the BB.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 13/Nov/14 10:44am

wachtourak wrote:I would not accept this as a reasonable solution.

:withstupid:
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Sims on Thu 13/Nov/14 10:57am

Okay - trying for the simplest solution... Given that the threads hold for now - What if i accepted the frame on the terms that the frame would be replaced if the threads failed at a later date.
Sims

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 13/Nov/14 11:05am

Sims wrote:Okay - trying for the simplest solution... Given that the threads hold for now - What if i accepted the frame on the terms that the frame would be replaced if the threads failed at a later date.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA good luck with that. If you take it back you own it, they've "fixed" it and its your problem.

Dont get fooled again they are trying to fuck you.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Sims on Thu 13/Nov/14 11:10am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Sims wrote:Okay - trying for the simplest solution... Given that the threads hold for now - What if i accepted the frame on the terms that the frame would be replaced if the threads failed at a later date.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA good luck with that. If you take it back you own it, they've "fixed" it and its your problem.

Dont get fooled again they are trying to fuck you.

Cue fucking self loathing against internal angst against conflict. I hate this shit.
Guess i need to go back to the store with my big boy pants on.

The plus side, I haven't taken the frame yet.
Sims

Postby philstar on Thu 13/Nov/14 11:24am

I think that you are legally entitlement to this, so get it in writing, and it will be still hard pressed to enforce at a later date. I think you would be hard pressed to require any more as they have "fixed" the problem
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 13/Nov/14 12:49pm

Get them to sign something that states that they're aware they made a mistake, they concede that the repaired part is not to the same standard as the original, and that they're providing a warranty for the lifetime of the frame on the BB threads with the solution being an equivilent replacement frame.

Name, date and signature from the manager/owner and one other person at the shop as a witness.

Any less and they don't trust their fix.

Make it clear that you're happy as larry as long as they stand by their fix. Make it clear after they sign that if they don't stand by their fix, they'll be immediately in the disputes tribunal. It's an easy and cheap process for you with your documentation, but they'll want to avoid it.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 13/Nov/14 1:07pm

AgrAde wrote:Get them to sign something that states that they're aware they made a mistake, they concede that the repaired part is not to the same standard as the original, and that they're providing a warranty for the lifetime of the frame on the BB threads with the solution being an equivilent replacement frame.

Name, date and signature from the manager/owner and one other person at the shop as a witness.

Any less and they don't trust their fix.

Make it clear that you're happy as larry as long as they stand by their fix. Make it clear after they sign that if they don't stand by their fix, they'll be immediately in the disputes tribunal. It's an easy and cheap process for you with your documentation, but they'll want to avoid it.

This sounds very sensible, and will probably scare the shop. Even specifying "the lifetime of the frame on the BB threads" is likely to give them pause.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Thu 13/Nov/14 1:34pm

AgrAde wrote: they're providing a warranty for the lifetime of the frame on the BB threads with the solution being an equivilent replacement frame.

Or the lifetime of the LBS, whichever is shorterer.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby dented on Thu 13/Nov/14 3:59pm

znomit wrote:
AgrAde wrote: they're providing a warranty for the lifetime of the frame on the BB threads with the solution being an equivilent replacement frame.

Or the lifetime of the LBS, whichever is shorterer.
This is a salient point.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts