Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 7/Nov/14 4:13pm

Sims wrote:Was going to modernise it to last the next few years. I'd spend the last 2 months buying parts as they cropped up on special. Had a full new 1x10 clutched drive line with a shiny new narrow wide guidering. New rear shock, and all new frame hardware. Then got the frame re sprayed gloss white, while Rach was overseas and none the wiser.

A lot of thought, effort and research went into sorting it all out. I've felt bad that Rach has always got hand me downs from my bike. And while i couldn't afford to buy her a new one, I could use my skills to refurb her current ride to nearly new.

Thats why its all so gutting.

that is fairly poos really. bummer
major hassle
you actually seem extraordinarily reasonable about it. more reasonable than many.
don't sell yourself short - they need to put it right - and anything less than a replacement BB part will be tears at some stage.
read crusty's post again. he occasionally knows wat he's on about with the law :thumbsup:
dont take a half arsed fix up
great uncle bulgaria
User avatar
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby el_booto on Fri 7/Nov/14 5:59pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Sims wrote:Was going to modernise it to last the next few years. I'd spend the last 2 months buying parts as they cropped up on special. Had a full new 1x10 clutched drive line with a shiny new narrow wide guidering. New rear shock, and all new frame hardware. Then got the frame re sprayed gloss white, while Rach was overseas and none the wiser.

A lot of thought, effort and research went into sorting it all out. I've felt bad that Rach has always got hand me downs from my bike. And while i couldn't afford to buy her a new one, I could use my skills to refurb her current ride to nearly new.

Thats why its all so gutting.

that is fairly poos really. bummer
major hassle
you actually seem extraordinarily reasonable about it. more reasonable than many.
don't sell yourself short - they need to put it right - and anything less than a replacement BB part will be tears at some stage.
read crusty's post again. he occasionally knows wat he's on about with the law :thumbsup:
dont take a half arsed fix up



:withstupid:
The bb yoke should be available, the teocali design was the same up til at least 2012, there might just be a bit of a wait for the mongoose guys to get one from straya/usa/taiwan.

I wouldn't be accepting anything less than a replacement part (unless they genuinely can't get one, then I'd be chasing a set of shimano cranks)
el_booto
User avatar
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby ryda on Fri 7/Nov/14 7:33pm

el_booto wrote:I wouldn't be accepting anything less than a replacement part (unless they genuinely can't get one, then I'd be chasing a set of shimano cranks)
the problem asking for shimano crankset is they will only give you STD BB which will last all of 5mins, I'd be asking for a Chris King bb with the sram adaptor and a greasing tool then you can locktite it in and leave it there
ryda
User avatar
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby happybaboon on Fri 7/Nov/14 9:05pm

I think a replacement frame/part of identical or better quality is the only fair compensation. Or cash. If damage has been done to such an integral part of the frame as the BB shell you just don't know how long any BB/crankset or the frame is going to last.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Mr_Bob on Sat 8/Nov/14 9:34am

Dougal's solution is probably by far the easiest solution if the shop can't get you a replacement part

Name and shame so others don't have the same unfortunate problem that you had, and should know where to avoid

(sounds like something my former boss would do) :lol:
Mr_Bob
User avatar
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby znomit on Sat 8/Nov/14 9:38am

When taking your bike in always check their tool rack to see if they have left and right handed ball peens. If they don't, walk away.
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby philstar on Sat 8/Nov/14 12:10pm

Mr_Bob wrote:Name and shame so others don't have the same unfortunate problem that you had, and should know where to avoid
(sounds like something my former boss would do) :lol:


a better solution (for the future) is that if you are handing bottom bracket part of a frame to a shop, that is not easily determinable which end is front, then tag and label it properly. the fact that this was not done in no way alleviates the shops responsibility to fix their fuck up.
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Wobbler on Sat 8/Nov/14 12:26pm

If someone is a dumb enough cunzor to plough through thread like that no amount of labeling with help them
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Slim on Sun 9/Nov/14 7:54am

everyone fucks up from time to time, they shouldn't be judged by making a mistake they should be judged by how they fix it and they should be given that oppourtunity before they are outed on the net.

I am sure everyone here has made a mistake during the course of their employment, and wouldn't want the business crucified on the internet for it.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Conners on Sun 9/Nov/14 8:10am

Well put Slim.
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Sims on Sun 9/Nov/14 9:34pm

Well they haven't called back with any solutions yet...
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby MattV on Sun 9/Nov/14 10:47pm

Hopefully they're frantically scouring the interwebs for a replacement part
MattV
User avatar
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 10/Nov/14 7:15am

Sims wrote:Well they haven't called back with any solutions yet...


Have you spoken with the storeowner / manager yet? rather than just the "other mechanic". Maybe the message about what has gone on hasn't got through yet to someone who might have an invested in the reputation of the store.
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Dougal on Mon 10/Nov/14 9:31am

Slim wrote:everyone fucks up from time to time, they shouldn't be judged by making a mistake they should be judged by how they fix it and they should be given that oppourtunity before they are outed on the net.

I am sure everyone here has made a mistake during the course of their employment, and wouldn't want the business crucified on the internet for it.


And interestingly if you screw up, own it and fix the problem the customer can end up far happier than if they just got the right stuff the first time.

Humans, funny creatures.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Help - Bike Mechanic Has Reversed My Bb Threads

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 10/Nov/14 9:36am

Wobbler wrote:If someone is a dumb enough cunzor to plough through thread like that no amount of labeling with help them


indeed.

They presumably used the BB as a makeshift tap. the loominum will be softer but it might pay to have a look at the bb itself.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

69 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], oldandlazy and 64 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit