Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby twinshock750 on Tue 14/Apr/09 10:26pm

Every head is different I guess and I found whether motorcycle helmets or cyling helmets, there are some that fit and some that don't. I've always tended towards mid to upper end gear on both sorts of bikes and at times I've lusted after a bling helmet and when I try it on....nah, no good. This includes some $1000plus motorcycle helmets and $400 cycling helmets.

Big things is pick a helmet from a name brand that fits really well. You will be spending literally hours in it. Not comfy will only piss you off. The name brands have the rep and testing gear to give you confidence in the quality and manufacture. Look at how it is assembled and what the pads are like etc.

I reglarly use a head stocking thing to catch sweat and it does make things a little nicer to put back on if you stop...

I've been through two Giro's in accidents - both would have left me with concussion and or skill fracture if I was not wearing a helmet. Love them. They also fitted my head.

My commuter helmet is a Limar 520. Which I see as a consumable item at $50 bucks, but surprisingly it was quite comfy whereas Limars fitted like a bucket prviously. So was suprised when I tried it on as is a surprisingly good helmet for what I use it for and the price. Enough so I bought my wife one as well.

My "good" helmet is a MET. It was one of the few in the shop that fitted me, and there were Uvex, MET, Limar and a number of other brands. Straps can play a part in the fit to - ie how they fit around your ears. The MET is just okay in this regard.

Also about the glasses - the MET is crap for glasses in the openings....and the Limar is worse as it has netting molded in across the openings - something to watch for!!

You may get a helmet really cheap online, but my view is unless you really know the fit, go to your LBS so you can really try them all on and find a good fit and you can get a feel for construction. Will pay off long term.

Also, buy new.....
twinshock750
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 14/Apr/09 10:43pm

woot woot woot. better protection than i had before. and a street helmut i can bail on and not really worry about
CG920219.jpg
CG2008123.jpg
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby nzmatto on Wed 20/May/09 8:42pm

It seems that Bell have and are changing their line up for the Sweeps. In fact I suspect the model 'sweep' is disappearing. They seem to be tumbling in price, with local retailer's prices as low as $176.

The Sweep R has also gone with all Sweep 09 models coming with the lugs and visor.

Despite emailing them, it seems that GT Bikes don't care that they have apparently made a stuff up in their pricing....
http://www.239bike.com/store/index.php?productid=3869
Yup you too can buy it for a saving of minus $56.

I see that capital cycles have it at $180. I may pop up at lunch tomorrow and pick one up.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 20/May/09 8:44pm

you mean you're going to spend some money an a real helmut matt?

you feeling ok?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby nzmatto on Wed 20/May/09 9:36pm

yup. I am tired of the old cheapy not fitting properly, still $40 bucks for a years use is not bad.
nzmatto

Postby nzmatto on Thu 21/May/09 10:16am

And so I am now the *ahem* proud owner of a new Bell Sweep in Matt Black/Carbon. Purchased from Capital Cycles (supporting the LBS) for $180.00. I expect to be treated like a cool kid now and no-one is allowed to overtake me cause they'll be so captivated by the back of my helmet!
I hope this makes me go faster!
nzmatto

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts