Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby Conners on Sat 11/Apr/09 4:36pm

No hot water cupboard at your place farty?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby phunk on Sat 11/Apr/09 4:43pm

We dont have a hot water cupboard at our place, having two helmets is really good.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby IamTOAD on Sat 11/Apr/09 5:53pm

get a helment
IamTOAD
User avatar
"It's not okay. Ever"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby Spokes on Sat 11/Apr/09 6:11pm

IamTOAD wrote:get a helment


I think I have about 6.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby nzmatto on Sat 11/Apr/09 6:49pm

I forgot about the old helment thread, not so sure that they'll meet safety standards though. I think I'll keep looking for a certified darth vader helmet.

Knocked off another 65km today and had no problems with the old helmet, so I think I wil be keeping that for a while longer.
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby IamTOAD on Sat 11/Apr/09 8:48pm

try rolling in one of these
Knight_Helmet.jpg
my new helmet. even better than a helment
IamTOAD
User avatar
"It's not okay. Ever"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby Spokes on Sat 11/Apr/09 8:54pm

IamTOAD wrote:try rolling in one of these


I have worn one of those and they are farking heavy.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby IamTOAD on Sat 11/Apr/09 9:18pm

Spokes wrote:
IamTOAD wrote:try rolling in one of these


I have worn one of those and they are farking heavy.


this could just be the new craze
F-35-HUDless-flight-helmet.jpg
IamTOAD
User avatar
"It's not okay. Ever"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby Colin on Sat 11/Apr/09 10:13pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::thumbsup: Having two helmets can be a good idea if you've used one in the rain and it hasn't dried out by the next day for riding. Putting a wet helmet is akin to putting on a wet wetsuit...its a bit yuk.

:) It sounds like you've got a good one so good idea to hang on to it.


Yip. I figure I will be riding bikes longer than the life of several helmets.

So I buy when I see them on sale. Always runnning two or more helmets and can always find one that isn't wet from rain/sweat.

Usually have one set up permanently for night riding too.

Given I am a sweaty person and commute every day, yesterday's helmet will yuk to put on. I extend the life by washing the pads, and also using buying spare pad sets.

In the long run it will will cost me no more by having more than one helmet at a time. Probably less because I buy when on sale (Active Kiwi were doing Giro Animas silly cheap a while ago) and I know my head in a Giro shaped head.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby Oli on Sat 11/Apr/09 11:56pm

Active Kiwi are gone! At least the shopfront in Aro Street is...pretty sure it was still there on Thursday, but completely disappeared today. :paranoid:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 12/Apr/09 12:15am

I really rate my Lazer Genisis Helmet.
Fits me super well, and drys really fast as well, so no super soggy helmet.
I've put it back on at times expecting a soggy forhead and I've been pleasently surpised most times.
SlackBoy
User avatar
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby ThingOne on Sun 12/Apr/09 9:48am

Oli wrote:Active Kiwi are gone! At least the shopfront in Aro Street is...pretty sure it was still there on Thursday, but completely disappeared today. :paranoid:


I had something delivered from them on Wednesday last week.
ThingOne
User avatar
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:59am

Colin wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::thumbsup: Having two helmets can be a good idea if you've used one in the rain and it hasn't dried out by the next day for riding. Putting a wet helmet is akin to putting on a wet wetsuit...its a bit yuk.

:) It sounds like you've got a good one so good idea to hang on to it.


Yip. I figure I will be riding bikes longer than the life of several helmets.

So I buy when I see them on sale. Always runnning two or more helmets and can always find one that isn't wet from rain/sweat.

Usually have one set up permanently for night riding too.

Given I am a sweaty person and commute every day, yesterday's helmet will yuk to put on. I extend the life by washing the pads, and also using buying spare pad sets.

In the long run it will will cost me no more by having more than one helmet at a time. Probably less because I buy when on sale (Active Kiwi were doing Giro Animas silly cheap a while ago) and I know my head in a Giro shaped head.


:thumbsup: Good on you. Alternating them regularly is the way to go.
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby chuckie34 on Mon 13/Apr/09 4:30pm

Colin wrote: (Active Kiwi were doing Giro Animas silly cheap a while ago.


Their website still has them at $109. :)
chuckie34
User avatar
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Helmets -- What To Buy, I Need A New One.

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 13/Apr/09 4:32pm

Smashed a helmet today, makes me glad I spent some dollars on a decent one. I hadn't even planned on crashing either
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

68 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 67 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit