Hello - Dunedin Roadie New To Vorb

Postby Weevil on Mon 29/Dec/08 8:46am

Hello folks, awesome site you have here! I have recently got back into my cycling trying to ride once a day and do anything from 20-60km's to try and get my fitness up. Currently I am riding an '07 Avanti Blade hybrid which seems a fairly decent ride for the time being. I am looking for a bit of direction perhaps on good road bike routes. I am currently doing rides out to Port Chalmers, Albatross Point, Portabello and round town etc. These routes are fine but can be a bit repetitive after a while. Any direction would be appreciated.

I hope everyone has had a good Xmas and I hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year!
Weevil
"Spills for thrills baby!"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby TiHT on Mon 29/Dec/08 9:38am

Up Three Mile Hill would be a good test
TiHT
"cycle of life"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Pies on Mon 29/Dec/08 1:29pm

Some options for around that length could be. Portobello via the high road, Waitati and back, Outram and Taieri Mouth etc are all good rides. Also within the distances that you are looking to cover. High road over Peninsular and Waitati rides have some decent length hills to build strength up as well. To go a bit longer make the Waitati ride further around the coast to Karitane, the Taieri Mouth ride over the hill to Waihola and return through Mosgiel.
Pies
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Weevil on Mon 29/Dec/08 6:30pm

Thanks heaps for the replies people! I will bear those routes in mind especially Pies. My sparrow legs really struggle with hills but I am sure its a mind over matter thing, well that, or I'm just lazy. my route will always finish with either going up High Street or Eglinton. Anyways if you see a newbie roadie struggling along on a black Avanti Blade feel free to either a) point and laugh or b) come over and say hi.
Weevil

Postby Pies on Mon 29/Dec/08 7:43pm

The Thursday night bunch ride from Browns is a good one for new riders as well.
Pies
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Weevil on Wed 31/Dec/08 10:19am

Pies wrote: The Thursday night bunch ride from Browns is a good one for new riders as well.

Yeah I might hit that one up. I was checking out the route on mapmyride.com. It looks good.
Weevil

Postby psychavoc on Wed 31/Dec/08 10:42am

Where do they go? :)

We're moving back to Dunedin next month (after a couple of years up in Wellington) so I'll be looking at joining a few social bunch rides at some stage also :thumbsup:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby psychavoc on Wed 31/Dec/08 10:43am

Heh. Turns out google is very helpful :thumbsup: http://www.cyclingotago.co.nz/rides.htm
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Weevil on Wed 31/Dec/08 11:54am

psychavoc wrote: Heh. Turns out google is very helpful :thumbsup: http://www.cyclingotago.co.nz/rides.htm

Yeah I had looked at that site also but wondered if the dates where still current. I guess they must be.
Weevil

New User Introductions | Vorb - Latest Posts