Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:00pm

Got a heart rate monitor for Christmas and yesterday completed first MTB race using it (Wee McGregor, 40km of rough Tekapo high country riding).
I was highly surprised at end of it to see my average was 184 for the 2hrs (finished 2.00.44).
Does that seem normal capability for a 40yr old male ?

I recently read something saying to race at 80-85% leaving capacity for steep sections and challenges from other riders. I've tested max during a training as 196. Max in race was 194. I completely ignored it after regular checking for first about 30mins as I was feeling ok. I doubt I had much more than another 15-30 minutes left at that rate though
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby Nick_K on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:04pm

Heart rate monitors are the devils work and in the wrong hands worse than useless.

IMHO Expense toys or a lazy training tools pushed by crap coachs.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby Oli on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:16pm

Plus what you thought was your maximum heartrate most probably wasn't. ;)
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby wgtngrl on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:16pm

Everyones heart is different. To only know a couple of stats is to know them completely out of context. It's not unusual for me to avg up to 194 in a 2 hour race. But when I recently avg'ed 199 then collapsed I knew something was up. Here's the thing -the symptom might be cardiac, the cause may not be.

Did you have any other concerning symptoms? Do you have anything at the same intensity to compare it to? A little odd that you hit a higher max in training as usually it's racing where you'll push yourself the hardest, but if you were a little tired, stressed, fighting a low grade virus/infection it would keep the hr a bit lower. Did you experience any 'bad pain' during the race?

It all comes down to being sensible. Like I said, everyones heart is different and data about it needs to be taken in the greater context of more data about it but if you are genuinely concerned then I highly recommend you see someone and get some tests done.

As for the 'holding something in reserve' during racing. Pah :p Racing is the one time you get to go all out :thumbsup:

PS - I totally disagree with Nick. 'Lazy tools pushed by crap coaches'??? They're a fantastic tool when used properly and second only to reliable and accurate power training tools (only like, an eighth of the cost).
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby jo on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:17pm

220 - your age is bollux. ;)
Find out your max proper like and go from there. :)
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby nzmatto on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:29pm

I cant afford to go to a power tool, so regularly use my HRM to monitor my activity. I find it gives me more of a rough guide overall to how the ride was, and often I compare the time ridden against the calorie burn (according to the HRM). This allows me to compare rides and confirm how hard I have worked.

using the old 220 - your age count which gives me 182 as a max, I am easily able to exceed 100%. In fact on many of my rides I am hitting 200 - 205 and sometimes am reaching 220. Anything above that I consider to be a mis-reading from something like power lines, etc.
These times when I do get high normally do not last too long, and the weird thing is that it is almost always on a flat section of road, when I am pushing the highest RPM. My heart rate sits at around 165-170 on a decent hill climb.

So for me, it is not some bible thing that rules my training, but I do consider it as a useful tool for overall measurement of how I am doing. A quick look down my riding log clearly is showing that as I have got fitter my overall heart rate has dropped. This would coincide with the dramatic loss of fat and body size that I have had, so I guess there is less blood actually flowing within the ole bod now.
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby nzmatto on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:30pm

jo wrote:220 - your age is bollux. ;)
Find out your max proper like and go from there. :)


Thanks, I agree. BUT.....How does one do this?
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby Fergie on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:36pm

Do a maximal test. Warm up 10min and either on windtrainer or uphill progressively crank up the resistance or speed every minute till you can not sustain the tempo any longer. This should get you to your max. Racing is a really good way to get your absolute max.

HR is a long way behind power but can still be a useful tool. Rather than a maximal HR I would look for a threshold heart rate. Do a 2 x 20min TT pace efforts. Your average heart rate for the 2nd effort will be pretty close to your threshold. Probably more accurate than an expensive lactate threshold test.
Fergie
User avatar
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby ThingOne on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:40pm

Max HR isnt much use IMHO, you need to workout your lactate threshold which could be anywhere between 70% and 90% of max HR, this is the point where you start to basically redline.

From memory.

Warm up 10 minutes
Then medium pace for 10 minutes
then thrash yourself silly for 30 minutes and take the average of that (last 30 mins that is).

That should be your lactate threshold.
You then base training off that, for example 10 min reps @ 90% of threshold etc
ThingOne
User avatar
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby ThingOne on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:41pm

ThingOne wrote:Max HR isnt much use IMHO, you need to workout your lactate threshold which could be anywhere between 70% and 90% of max HR, this is the point where you start to basically redline.

From memory.

Warm up 10 minutes
Then medium pace for 10 minutes
then thrash yourself silly for 30 minutes and take the average of that (last 30 mins that is).

That should be your lactate threshold.
You then base training off that, for example 10 min reps @ 90% of threshold etc



Yeah, what fergie said.. he beat me to it.
ThingOne
User avatar
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby Joel on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:44pm

ThingOne wrote:
ThingOne wrote:Max HR isnt much use IMHO, you need to workout your lactate threshold which could be anywhere between 70% and 90% of max HR, this is the point where you start to basically redline.

From memory.

Warm up 10 minutes
Then medium pace for 10 minutes
then thrash yourself silly for 30 minutes and take the average of that (last 30 mins that is).

That should be your lactate threshold.
You then base training off that, for example 10 min reps @ 90% of threshold etc



Yeah, what fergie said.. he beat me to it.

+1
Joel
User avatar
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby nzmatto on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:54pm

Fergie wrote:Do a maximal test. Warm up 10min and either on windtrainer or uphill progressively crank up the resistance or speed every minute till you can not sustain the tempo any longer. This should get you to your max. Racing is a really good way to get your absolute max.

HR is a long way behind power but can still be a useful tool. Rather than a maximal HR I would look for a threshold heart rate. Do a 2 x 20min TT pace efforts. Your average heart rate for the 2nd effort will be pretty close to your threshold. Probably more accurate than an expensive lactate threshold test.



Cool. The electronics around my trainer screw the heart rate thing silly, so it is no use me doing it that way. 2x20 min TT at pace sounds good though. What sort of break do you put between them? Is the aim to have a rest, or just to reset the counters and get going as soon as possible?
I also intend measuring my at rest heart rate, as I have read some stuff about calculations that way, but I just cant seem to get myself to put the HRM on in bed.

one of my girls classes is doing a thing on hearts and how your heart beats faster when your working, etc at the moment, so tomorrow I am taking my trainer, MTB and HRM to her school. Let the kids have a go! Should be interesting, but somehow I think the boys will be more interested in the speed factor......I know I would. :)
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby Fergie on Mon 23/Mar/09 8:57pm

I normally have a 5min break then hit it again.
Fergie
User avatar
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby Oli on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:01pm

People were able to measure their heart rates before monitors were around. Just check your pulse for 20 seconds and times it by three.
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby danose on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:07pm

jo wrote:Find out your max proper like and go from there. :)


and finding out your max is soooo much fun - remember, it's not a maximal effort unless you do actually really pass out :thumbsup:
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Health | Mountain Biking | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

55 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 52 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles