Re: Heart Rate, 94% Average For 2hrs ?

Postby happybaboon on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:26pm

I think that if you worked your heart at 94% of it's actual maximum for 2 hours you'd kill yourself... But not to worry, 'cos I'm sure your body would be very unlikely to let you exert your heart to death. As people have said it's probably just that your own max hr is a lot higher than what is considered to be normal. Also possible that the high reading could be due to equipment error (interference, poor build kwality, etc - I'd imagine equipment error is particularly likely if your HRM is a $50 devil store model... But less likely if it's a $1000 Polar one...).
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:34pm

I've reached peak of 196 a couple of times on Port Hills training. 194 in yesterdays race is close enough to 196 to be 100% to me !

As for other questions, no pain or anything. I was just surprised how high the average was and wondered if it was abnormal. Seemed very high average compared to the averages in 160s during training, even when trying race effort training. I guess trying to keep up with others makes you push yourself a lot more than you can ever do when out by yourself.
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby nigelp on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:34pm

I did the same race on Sunday and my heart rate was average 153 and race time 2hrs 30 mins. I am 108kgs, 29 y/o and rather unfit. My highest was 184 - anything higher and I generally feel like throwing up! :blink:
nigelp
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:38pm

nigelp wrote:I did the same race on Sunday and my heart rate was average 153 and race time 2hrs 30 mins. I am 108kgs, 29 y/o and rather unfit. My highest was 184 - anything higher and I generally feel like throwing up! :blink:

Don't feel bad. I'm guessing if I dropped my effort back to 150s I also would have ridden 2.5hrs. But I needed to push hard as I could as my 15yr son was ahead of me ! The whole father son challenge is really on at the moment.
UK_Exile

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:40pm

happybaboon wrote: Also possible that the high reading could be due to equipment error (interference, poor build kwality, etc - I'd imagine equipment error is particularly likely if your HRM is a $50 devil store model... But less likely if it's a $1000 Polar one...).

It's a Sigma brand so good quality and seems to be very reliable and consistent. Zippo interference sources in high country around Lake Tekapo !
UK_Exile

Postby Fergie on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:41pm

I never use heart rate while road racing and found in time trials that my racing heart rate was way above what I could sustain in training for the same duration (184bpm vs 160bpm). In racing I can get a max heart rate of 203 but in a ramp test (progressively increasing intensity) it is around 193. You may be one of those people who can ride at a very high level of your Vo2max (a good thing). Maybe on the day things like nutritional status, hydration, heat etc affected your heart rate. So many things affect it that it is less science than just a helpful guide. Hence power being the Gold Standard.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby specializedman on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:53pm

I am definitely going to try and find my max HR in a test like Fergie explained.

Using the old 220-age thing I get my max at 204 and my Maximum I have ever seen while exercising is 203 while sprinting hard after a long wind up to over 50km/h. I would consider that effort to be my absolute maximum as I actually pulled to the side of the road and flopped off my bike afterwards because everything had gone blurry and wobbly...

My highest average HR for a race is 189 for a 1 hour race, that was seriously painful.
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 23/Mar/09 10:11pm

Fergie wrote:I normally have a 5min break then hit it again.

Are you talking about pies?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 23/Mar/09 10:13pm

danose wrote:
jo wrote:Find out your max proper like and go from there. :)

and finding out your max is soooo much fun - remember, it's not a maximal effort unless you do actually really pass out :thumbsup:

So when you get that metalic taste in your mouth its not there yet?

Ive found that comes just before the vomit and fall over.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 23/Mar/09 10:15pm

Oli wrote:People were able to measure their heart rates before monitors were around. Just check your pulse for 20 seconds and times it by three.

or you could do it for 10 seconds and times buy twelve then divide by two....

it's like counting sheep, you count the legs and divide by 4
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 23/Mar/09 10:24pm

but we're talking about more than 2 minutes riding here spokes
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Oli on Mon 23/Mar/09 10:35pm

shmoodiver wrote:
Oli wrote:People were able to measure their heart rates before monitors were around. Just check your pulse for 20 seconds and times it by three.

or you could do it for 10 seconds and times buy twelve then divide by two....

it's like counting sheep, you count the legs and divide by 4

It's more accurate the longer you hold it - I could have said 30 seconds but I figured that would be too long for most people's span of attention. ;)
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Ahad on Mon 23/Mar/09 10:39pm

Finding your maxHR can be quite painfull. Some people are better at pushing themselves than others. There is a difference b/t pushing yourself and reallypushing yourself. I know my max because I've equalled it only on a few times but never exceeded it in the 4yrs I've had a HR monitor (Unless the batteries are starting to go and its reading wrong).

For a really hard hilly 3hr ride my avHR is in the low 150's bpm or ~80%max. So personally there is no way I coud sustain 94% av for 2hrs. But think I could for perhaps 15minutes going for a pb up a hill.
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 24/Mar/09 7:55am

So it seems my body may be capable than I thought :) or it's old and knackered and has a revy ticker that doesn't do much :(

BAck to questions, if I worked out the threshold that has been mentioned what do you use it for ? How do you use it ? Isn't it just a certain heart rate anyway ? I know the monitor is more just a guide on well your operating at the time rather than a tool to tell you what to do.
UK_Exile

Postby Fergie on Tue 24/Mar/09 8:06am

You can do long rides at 80-90% of your threshold. You can do long intervals at 90-100% of your threshold and medium intervals at 110% of your threshold. You will find it hard to do short intervals as heart rate lags behind the actual effort. But what you can do is complete your interval and use the monitor to see when you heart rate has come back down (to say 70% of threshold) and start the next one.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Health | Mountain Biking | Sifting - Latest Posts