Re: Hbo - The Pacific

Postby happybaboon on Thu 22/Apr/10 9:25pm

Wouldn't it have made sense to issue the best quality equipment to the guys who were going to be fighting the most Japaneseses? :huh:

One thing the Pacific got totally right - that opening orchestral theme music - spine tingly good stuff.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby RussS on Thu 22/Apr/10 9:38pm

Nah maing, the poofta clowns that ran the military had the thought that giving good shit to cannon fodder was a waste of good shit.

Same crap happened in Korea and Nam.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby herbman on Fri 23/Apr/10 11:50am

RussS wrote:Nah maing, the poofta clowns that ran the military had the thought that giving good shit to cannon fodder was a waste of good shit.

in Generation Kill they have a great quote about when the marine go to war "marines make do"
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby RussS on Fri 23/Apr/10 12:01pm

herbman wrote: in Generation Kill they have a great quote about when the marine go to war "marines make do"

HOO AH
RussS

Postby Willey_Coyote on Fri 23/Apr/10 12:16pm

Gen Kill - is Awesome
Cousin met most of those guys when they were visiting the army here.
Willey_Coyote
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby herbman on Fri 23/Apr/10 1:38pm

one of the better things that i have seen in a long time, and they went some places that i was sure that a show like that would not go as well.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 23/Apr/10 2:21pm

Wasn't as good as the wire though
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 25/Apr/10 9:48am

Watched a few episodes of this, not as good as Band of Brothers IMO. As far as 'dramatisation of real events' shows go, I'm liking the new series of Underbelly more at this point.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sun 25/Apr/10 1:36pm

RussS wrote:Nah maing, the poofta clowns that ran the military had the thought that giving good shit to cannon fodder was a waste of good shit.

The marines had the option on m1's and rejected them early on cause the springfeilds were considered to be more reliable in jungle conditions (ie you could roll em round in mud and saltwater and they didn't jam). The marines were/are commanded by admirals, not generals, so a rifles a rifle eh, now where's my cruiser?
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby RussS on Sun 25/Apr/10 3:17pm

CrustyMTB wrote:

The marines had the option on m1's and rejected them early on cause the springfeilds were considered to be more reliable in jungle conditions (ie you could roll em round in mud and saltwater and they didn't jam). The marines were/are commanded by admirals, not generals, so a rifles a rifle eh, now where's my cruiser?

Not quite. The Commandant of the Marine Corps is a General. The commissioned orificers have ranks much like in the army - Second Lieutenant - First Lieutenant - Captain - Major - Lieutenant Colonel - Brigadier General - Major General - Lieutenant General - General. The problem back then was that the navy held the balance of power in the Joint Chiefs of Staff and what little funding there was got snapped up building fancy floating gin palaces. The Army Air Corps and the Marine Air Division was badly underfunded due to the pre WWII leadership being isolationalist. As far as the ground troops went it was all surplus WWI crap with any newer stuff going to the army as they were next in seniority to the navy.
RussS

Postby happybaboon on Mon 17/May/10 9:02pm

I'd given up on watching, but then ended up watching last weeks episode online.. And now watching tonights one. It's actually gotten fairly decent. They're doing actual battles now, rather than just duck shooting a Jappos who run head-long at American lines. :thumbsup:

Tonights episode has been all action so far, which is especially good because it takes ones attention off the awful dialogue.
happybaboon

Postby MattV on Mon 17/May/10 9:15pm

Agreed. They didn't spare the severed limbs either.
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 17/May/10 9:37pm

MattV wrote:Agreed. They didn't spare the severed limbs either.

Plentiful severed limbs was most acceptable. Also I liked it when they beat that dude to death with the shovel. And I like that psychoish guy with the mad eyes whos with Sledge.
happybaboon

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 17/May/10 9:37pm

Some good recent episodes. Especially the battle in tonight's episode. War is cool. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby RussS on Mon 17/May/10 9:54pm

Getting better. When I see someone roaming around behind enemy lines with a pair of pliers, pulling gold teeth from dead Japs I will know it is starting to get authentic :D
RussS

Sifting | Television - Latest Posts