Re: Hbo - The Pacific

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 21/Apr/10 4:38pm

You heard me. Homo eroticism.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 21/Apr/10 7:22pm

is that where the roman soldiers lift there metal skirts up after marching for 5 days in the freezing cold to see who has the smallest willy?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 22/Apr/10 9:11am

Oli wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:WW2 was great.
Best war EVER! :thumbsup:

:lol:

Best use of sarcasm evah! :D
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby RussS on Thu 22/Apr/10 12:22pm

Be nice if it was a little bit more authentic.

The Marines had Lemon Squeezer helmets back then and used Springfield rifles. The modern style helmet and M1 carbine were not issued until later in the campaign (about Tarawa I think).

The old man was hoping there would be more stuff like interviews and actual footage included.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Thu 22/Apr/10 2:16pm

I thought the lemon squeezer was a hat, not a helmet?
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby RussS on Thu 22/Apr/10 2:36pm

That is what the old man calls the WW1 helmets they wore back then - kind of looked like the pommy ones of the era.
RussS

Postby Oli on Thu 22/Apr/10 2:40pm

Oh, right - I know what you mean now...
Oli

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 22/Apr/10 2:52pm

Lemon squeezer is the hat. Helmet in question is called the Brodie helmet if Wikipedia is to be trusted. It says the Americans used them until 1942, but not when in 1942 (Guadalcanal began in August). The picture on this page clearly has the marines wearing the newer helmet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalcanal_Campaign
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby RussS on Thu 22/Apr/10 3:51pm

Yup, that was the official name for them. Had them issued when I did my ROTC way back when too.

Pop said they used them on Guadalcanal and come Saipan the army had the new helmet issued for Saipan, but only the new Marine division had them initially. For the sounds of it they were a replacement issue during the campaign as they were finding the old helmet next to useless. By the time Iwo Jima cam around the M1 helmet was standard issue. Dad thinks the navy gunners were using the M1 helmet right back to when he shipped over here before the campaign started.
RussS

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 22/Apr/10 5:35pm

RussS wrote:Be nice if it was a little bit more authentic.

The Marines had Lemon Squeezer helmets back then and used Springfield rifles. The modern style helmet and M1 carbine were not issued until later in the campaign (about Tarawa I think).

The old man was hoping there would be more stuff like interviews and actual footage included.

They were mostly using springfeilds in the last episode. :)

And the old water cooled brownings. :crazy:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Thu 22/Apr/10 7:23pm

Maybe some of them used the old helmets and some of them the new ones. Your Pop wouldn't have seen every Marine on Guadalcanal surely?
Oli

Postby northernmonkey on Thu 22/Apr/10 8:03pm

I don't think the historical accuracy of the headgear would have saved the series.... Up to episode 6 now and it isn't really shaping up to be any better (just finished watching Generation Kill which is fantastic so may be setting too high a bar). its not cohisive enough, they'd have been better focusing on one unit and maybe one or two campaigns rather than lurching from Island to island with a were all fucked and going to die one minute, we've won and killed all the japs the next simplicication of each. Still gonna watch it though its not like there is anything else much on.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby RussS on Thu 22/Apr/10 9:22pm

Oli wrote:Maybe some of them used the old helmets and some of them the new ones. Your Pop wouldn't have seen every Marine on Guadalcanal surely?

Nah, but they were mostly garrisoned in Paekakariki - well, a couple divisions were. The M1 helmet was not introduced until late 1942 and all the marines were outfitted early in the year prior to heading down under. Since they were the 'shock troops' I think the powers that be figured many would not survive so issue the new stuff to those that were going to come along and reinforce or garrison the islands.
RussS

Sifting | Television - Latest Posts