Have you ever taken part in a political poll?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total voters : 36

Have You Ever Taken Part In An Election Poll?

Postby bugle on Fri 18/Nov/11 8:26am

I see your polls TV/Radio/internet but I never get asked, nor does anyone I know

Where do these figures come from?
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Have You Ever Taken Part In An Election Poll?

Postby Slim on Fri 18/Nov/11 9:00am

I've been asked once, via a phone call at home.

I think it greatly depends on what the particular organisation wants the outcome to be.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Jono on Fri 18/Nov/11 9:02am

Yar. Once several years ago. By phone again.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 18/Nov/11 9:04am

Someone called once and I declined their most generous offer to partake in their pole.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Slim on Fri 18/Nov/11 9:12am

I only partake in phone polls or surveys if they are prepared to come clean as to who commissioned it. It's surprising the number of survey companies that expect you to give out information without knowing what it will be used for.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby brian245 on Fri 18/Nov/11 9:44am

I was asked once
brian245
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby brian245 on Fri 18/Nov/11 9:51am

Slim wrote:I've been asked once, via a phone call at home.

I think it greatly depends on what the particular organisation wants the outcome to be.

I would tend to agree with them trying to get a desired outcome as I have also been quizzed on other topics and then declared as not fitting the target group so apparently not having an opinion worth including hence spoiling the intended result
brian245
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby Bigfoot on Fri 18/Nov/11 10:18am

I have been twice - and while I normally would not have participated, as a lefty in an area of nasty tories I felt it was my duty to try to skew the results...
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Sat 19/Nov/11 2:29pm

I partake in an election poll about once every three years - the ones that about 2.5 million others do, with a margin of error of approx 0.0000% (or so we are led to believe :D )

As for those other polls, nope - never been arksed.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sat 19/Nov/11 4:18pm

bugle wrote:I see your polls TV/Radio/internet but I never get asked, nor does anyone I know

Where do these figures come from?

The more well known polls use Random Digit Dialing, and then random selection of a potential voter in each household (I think). This approach includes every household in New Zealand that has a landline telephone (including those with unlisted numbers).

This method is by no means perfect because potential voters without a landline have no chance of being selected, phone polls a biased toward those who speak English well, the response rates for phone surveys have been declining, and those from small households have a greater chance of being selected than those from large households. Post survey weighting tries adjust for some of these things, but is not perfect either.

Nationwide door to door surveys would provide better response rates, more representative samples, and would be more robust overall, but a sample of 1,000 would take a couple of months to collect and process and the budget would need to be enormous (and there are only a couple of companies left in NZ who do them). So phone surveys are currently the accepted approach. The alternative of an online political poll is, well, just plain bad.
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby nzmatto on Sat 19/Nov/11 4:37pm

None till this one. ;)
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby avantibill on Sat 19/Nov/11 8:29pm

Only once every 3 years since 1984, usually on a Saturday in November (aprat from 1984 and 1987 when it was in July) :p
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 21/Nov/11 12:14am

I have been phoned for a few polls. They all seemed pretty straight & well designed for internal consumption by parties though, not for reporting to the public.

You should not necessarily expect to be told in detail who is commissioning the poll before answering questions and especially not before deciding whether to participate, as that can skew the results horribly. I don't see why they shouldn't tell you after the survey.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby UnimatrixZero on Wed 30/Nov/11 4:50pm

Just in case you care... here are two comparisons to show which polls were close and which were not. The Horizon poll is an online poll.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1111/S00761/analysis-of-political-polls-election-ratings.htm

http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2011/11/how_the_pollsters_did.html
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts