Postby Lamedoggo on Mon 15/Jun/09 8:42pm

State of Fear - Michael Criton

'nuff said.
Lamedoggo
"Like Elmo but without the fluff."
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: I Have Swine Flu

Postby Butch on Mon 15/Jun/09 8:50pm

bmansteve wrote:i must say that 15 minutes of every news bulletin is becoming rather tiresome...
I say lets all have a swine flu party alla chickenpox party and get it over and done with

Swine mobbing! :thumbsup:
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby avantibill on Mon 15/Jun/09 9:11pm

You know if you've got it when you have rashes... there is a support line, but it's so busy , all you get is crackling
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 15/Jun/09 9:14pm

jo wrote:And a week off work would be rather nice. :paranoid:

With current levels of paranoia and idiocy you could easily claim you might have it, have been unable to get tested by a GP (would not be stretching the truth) and are taking a week off just to be on the safe side.

Who knows, they might even reward your responsible attitude ;)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 15/Jun/09 9:17pm

avantibill wrote:You know if you've got it when you have rashes... there is a support line, but it's so busy , all you get is crackling

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm crackling...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby jo on Mon 15/Jun/09 10:53pm

j2hyde wrote:
jo wrote:And a week off work would be rather nice. :paranoid:

With current levels of paranoia and idiocy you could easily claim you might have it, have been unable to get tested by a GP (would not be stretching the truth) and are taking a week off just to be on the safe side.

Who knows, they might even reward your responsible attitude ;)

Dont think so, boss is away for the rest of week, colleagues out til thursday; its just me in charge of the new guy. :paranoid:

I dont think they are testing here anymore unless you've got other stuff going on. With 1000 odd confirmed cases they reckon a third of the victorian population has already been exposed. :blink:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby DropKick on Tue 16/Jun/09 8:19am

Butch wrote:
bmansteve wrote:i must say that 15 minutes of every news bulletin is becoming rather tiresome...
I say lets all have a swine flu party alla chickenpox party and get it over and done with

Swine mobbing! :thumbsup:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/swine-flu/ ... ecommended

YFY.

I think we should just get it over and done with. :thumbsup:

If its good enough for the gays in the U.S and their seroconversion parties, its good enough for us :thumbsup:
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Thermo on Tue 16/Jun/09 10:08am

happybaboon wrote:
DropKick wrote:Couldve spent all these tax payers dollars on shortening surgical waiting lists and useful things like that, but why bother when you can make such a fuss warning people they might get the sniffles (which if it does amount to anything you can do sfa about anyway)

20% of the population taking a week or more off work 'cos of a flu pandemic. That'll hurt the economy good. Worth buying some tamiflu. Also you know damn well that an influenza virus could be way worse than the one we've currently got (and which could mutate into a worser version).

Yeah, it seems that the H1N1 strain is less stable than other strains so the potential is there to mutate unpredictably.
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 16/Jun/09 10:34am

Thermo wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
DropKick wrote:Couldve spent all these tax payers dollars on shortening surgical waiting lists and useful things like that, but why bother when you can make such a fuss warning people they might get the sniffles (which if it does amount to anything you can do sfa about anyway)

20% of the population taking a week or more off work 'cos of a flu pandemic. That'll hurt the economy good. Worth buying some tamiflu. Also you know damn well that an influenza virus could be way worse than the one we've currently got (and which could mutate into a worser version).

Yeah, it seems that the H1N1 strain is less stable than other strains so the potential is there to mutate unpredictably.

All influenza viruses are unstable in exactly the same manner as this one. Don't believe the hype about how it could mutate and become more dangerous. Sure, it could, but so could any other influenza virus. Same goes with how infectious it is - it's no more or less infectious than any other influenza virus... (influenza viruses are epic-infectious).

The reason this one could cause (or, is causing) a pandemic is that it's sufficiently different to any flu that's come before it that no one has acquired immunity to it, so it spreads fast and easily. With most flus that have done the rounds before many people will have a level of immunity from either past infection or immunisation, with less people susceptible there's less ability for it to spread and less social/economic interruption. Also because of partial immunity a lot of people who do get sick may not get as sick as they would have with no immunity.

Summary: It's pretty much just normal flu... but more folks will get it than usual, they might get sicker than normal, and it could mutate and become nastier.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 16/Jun/09 10:40am

happybaboon wrote:Summary: It's pretty much just normal flu... but more folks will get it than usual.

Statements like that won't get you the lead item on the 6 o'clock news!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby scatter on Tue 16/Jun/09 11:16am

There's some good information here (it's a bit boffin-ish :huh: ). Has a good discussion about the epitope analysis (amino acid changes which alter the virus enough to allow it to have such a rapid emergence)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Naff on Tue 16/Jun/09 12:03pm

Well... I blame the american government.
Everything bad that happens in this world is directly related to them.

Probably. :huh:
Naff
"3 times the fun!"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 21/Jul/09 2:56pm

I have the swine flu (probably, 'cos I've got a flu and I've had a flu shot which should protect me from the other strains going around). So far it sucks, two days in and I'm aching all over, got a slight temperature (though not as high as I expected - 38.2, but it might be higher than that 'cos I took my temp under my armpit because the thermometer I used is the one that I stick up animals bums... So I didn't really want it in my mouth/bunghole).

I have a productive cough, but benardyl has pretty much got that covered. Epic headache. And a bit of a tummy ouchie. Sleeping is difficult, and I have VERY odd dreams. More like hallucinations than dreams.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Tue 21/Jul/09 2:58pm

You swine!
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 21/Jul/09 2:59pm

happybaboon wrote:I have the swine flu (probably, 'cos I've got a flu and I've had a flu shot which should protect me from the other strains going around). So far it sucks, two days in and I'm aching all over, got a slight temperature (though not as high as I expected - 38.2, but it might be higher than that 'cos I took my temp under my armpit because the thermometer I used is the one that I stick up animals bums... So I didn't really want it in my mouth/bunghole).

I have a productive cough, but benardyl has pretty much got that covered. Epic headache. And a bit of a tummy ouchie. Sleeping is difficult, and I have VERY odd dreams. More like hallucinations than dreams.

Nah it's probably just aids.
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts