Re: I Have Swine Flu

Postby happybaboon on Sat 13/Jun/09 10:28pm

Tugboat wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
j2hyde wrote:I was reading the other day that they'd diagnosed:
1000 odd people in Australia - no deaths
11,500 odd people in the US - 19 deaths
5000 odd people in Mehico - 97 deaths

Now the mexico figures are probably crap because they have no health system and the government there wouldn't have a clue anyway.

But based on the other figures the fatality rate is less than .017%
So I'm not worried.

Normal flavoured flu causes similar fatalities. This current pandemic strikes me as being not too much to worry about. Although I fucking HATE having the flu so I still really hope I don't get it :)

Seasonal flu kills 400 - 500 people a year in New Zealand. Those strains don't have cool names like bird flu or swine flu so aren't as scary and therefore of no value to the media.

Well, they do kind of. All the flus we've got we generally share with piggies and birdies. So they're all sort of "swine flu" or "bird flu" (or "human flu...") Swine flu is just a name the media cottoned onto. They shoudl re-think things. Maybe they should name flu strains after fictional Mafia gangsters... "Tony Montana Flu" or "Silvio Dante Flu" would be way cooler :thumbsup:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby DropKick on Sun 14/Jun/09 9:29am

happybaboon wrote:
j2hyde wrote:I was reading the other day that they'd diagnosed:
1000 odd people in Australia - no deaths
11,500 odd people in the US - 19 deaths
5000 odd people in Mehico - 97 deaths

Now the mexico figures are probably crap because they have no health system and the government there wouldn't have a clue anyway.

But based on the other figures the fatality rate is less than .017%
So I'm not worried.

Normal flavoured flu causes similar fatalities. This current pandemic strikes me as being not too much to worry about. Although I fucking HATE having the flu so I still really hope I don't get it :)

From what I understand most of the people who die from that are usually due to the complications (eg - a secondary pneumonia) rather than the flu itself.

And strangely enough in general the people who die from things like the sniffles are the ones who cant compensate (eg - old, barely alive as it is), and the ones with shot defences (eg - smokers, IV drug users and all the ppl with te aids). Charles Darwin called it natural selection.

Couldve spent all these tax payers dollars on shortening surgical waiting lists and useful things like that, but why bother when you can make such a fuss warning people they might get the sniffles (which if it does amount to anything you can do sfa about anyway)
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby danose on Sun 14/Jun/09 10:34am

DropKick wrote:From what I understand most of the people who die from that are usually due to the complications (eg - a secondary pneumonia) rather than the flu itself.

it's not the death rate in the weak/unhealthy that's the worry - it's the higher than usual death rate in the rest of the population

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/05/ ... 241584708/
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 14/Jun/09 11:02am

DropKick wrote:Couldve spent all these tax payers dollars on shortening surgical waiting lists and useful things like that, but why bother when you can make such a fuss warning people they might get the sniffles (which if it does amount to anything you can do sfa about anyway)

20% of the population taking a week or more off work 'cos of a flu pandemic. That'll hurt the economy good. Worth buying some tamiflu. Also you know damn well that an influenza virus could be way worse than the one we've currently got (and which could mutate into a worser version).
happybaboon

Postby Spokes on Sun 14/Jun/09 11:44am

happybaboon wrote:
DropKick wrote:Couldve spent all these tax payers dollars on shortening surgical waiting lists and useful things like that, but why bother when you can make such a fuss warning people they might get the sniffles (which if it does amount to anything you can do sfa about anyway)

20% of the population taking a week or more off work 'cos of a flu pandemic. That'll hurt the economy good. Worth buying some tamiflu. Also you know damn well that an influenza virus could be way worse than the one we've currently got (and which could mutate into a worser version).

Cool, a week off. :thumbsup:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby DropKick on Sun 14/Jun/09 12:15pm

happybaboon wrote:

Yea thats true bout the work thing.

But realistically the common cold could morph into te aids and we'll all be fucked. Anything has the potential to do anything (except wachy bagging Miley Cyrus, thats never gonna happen). I'm not a religious man but 'thats just gods will'

danose wrote:it's not the death rate in the weak/unhealthy that's the worry - it's the higher than usual death rate in the rest of the population

Meh, its no higher than the deathrate in young people attributed to other, more easily avoidable things (eg - Alcohol to name just one!), yet they dont get much attention just cos they're not the new kid on the block
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby sifter on Sun 14/Jun/09 8:19pm

Last year, they said that if Obama won the election, pigs would fly.

This year?

Swine flu
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby musket on Sun 14/Jun/09 8:25pm

DropKick wrote:
happybaboon wrote:

Yea thats true bout the work thing.

But realistically the common cold could morph into te aids and we'll all be fucked. Anything has the potential to do anything (except wachy bagging Miley Cyrus, thats never gonna happen). I'm not a religious man but 'thats just gods will'

danose wrote:it's not the death rate in the weak/unhealthy that's the worry - it's the higher than usual death rate in the rest of the population

Meh, its no higher than the deathrate in young people attributed to other, more easily avoidable things (eg - Alcohol to name just one!), yet they dont get much attention just cos they're not the new kid on the block

Erm, alcohol is the result of a choice...
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby sweet_P on Sun 14/Jun/09 8:26pm

:rolleyes: (at Sifter's joke :D )
sweet_P
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 15/Jun/09 11:53am

I was wondering why swine flu took off in Australia so much faster than it did here. Turns out it's because they're alarmingly incompetent http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 01,00.html

She said a 17-year-old boy who came to her Toorak practice two weeks ago with classic flu symptoms, including a 39C fever, had to wait for eight days for test results to confirm his diagnosis, by which stage he was back at school.

The patient was initially refused priority testing because he fell outside Victoria's risk criteria, and could not be fast-tracked even after classmates tested positive to swine flu.

"They said they couldn't do it - it was on the slow train to nowhere and had been sent interstate," Dr Charlesworth said. "I asked if I could at least have Tamiflu for the patient, for his household, and for myself - and they said, 'No, because he doesn't have swine flu at this stage'."
happybaboon

Postby j2hyde on Mon 15/Jun/09 7:47pm

Looks like I've given it to everyone and now the whole country gets a week off*. Isn't life grand?

I accept cash, cheques or, umm, favours. You can thank me later. :)

*total fucking joke considering it's hardly even dangerous. Oh no I got a runny nose the world is ending!!!!!
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby jo on Mon 15/Jun/09 7:49pm

Just curious... is a runny nose your only symptom? :eh:

Just asking cos I live in Melbourne....

And have a runny nose.....

And a week off work would be rather nice. :paranoid:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 15/Jun/09 8:05pm

I already had swineflu a couple of weeks ago, youse are so behind the times
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby bmansteve on Mon 15/Jun/09 8:28pm

i must say that 15 minutes of every news bulletin is becoming rather tiresome...
I say lets all have a swine flu party alla chickenpox party and get it over and done with
bmansteve
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby bmansteve on Mon 15/Jun/09 8:30pm

i must say that 15 minutes of every news bulletin is becoming rather tiresome...
I say lets all have a swine flu party alla chickenpox party and get it over and done with
bmansteve
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts