Re: Hardtail V Full Suspension For Trail Riding

Postby Conners on Sun 24/Jul/16 10:16pm

bikedog wrote:Thanks for all your comments, its helped a great deal. A Reign it is.

bikedog wrote:At NZ$6200 ....yeah right.

Equivalent models of Reign retail for ~$500 more than the Trances.

I reckon the Trance 2 is stonking value at RRP $3,700. It even comes with two chainrings and a front derailleur :ib:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 25/Jul/16 1:27am

mudlover/hater wrote:If the maintenance costs on a FS are making you hesitant maybe you would consider one of the new 27.5plus hardtails... they look like a lot of fun and tyre choice is getting better all the time...

I believe Specialized does one for $2500ish and the Marin Pine Mountain looks effing radtastic.

BTW I would tell you look for a steel ht whether it was plus sized or not but I have a continuous massive hard on for steel hardtails, generally.... :blush:

if youre after big big giggles. buy a 27+ fully
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 25/Jul/16 10:54am

Conners wrote: It even comes with two chainrings and a front derailleur :ib:

I do believe the correct term is a forward mount range expander.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 25/Jul/16 11:09am

shmoodiver wrote:

Keeps the weight low and central, very #enduro.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Mon 25/Jul/16 11:51am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:

Keeps the weight low and central, very #enduro.

Sprung weight too, these guys have thought of everything.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby bikedog on Mon 25/Jul/16 6:19pm

Conners wrote:
bikedog wrote:Thanks for all your comments, its helped a great deal. A Reign it is.

bikedog wrote:At NZ$6200 ....yeah right.

Equivalent models of Reign retail for ~$500 more than the Trances.

I reckon the Trance 2 is stonking value at RRP $3,700. It even comes with two chainrings and a front derailleur :ib:

I'm lookin for a x1, so much simpler, less weight and less wear & maintenance. Sure you have less gears but that's a good thing if you don't need them and have decent leg power.
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 25/Jul/16 6:27pm

1x does not have less wear or maintenance, in the same way a single pivot does not have less maintenance than a multipivot bike
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 25/Jul/16 7:15pm

bikedog wrote:Usual marketing spin about 1x

Wobbler wrote: Usual rebuttal

Cool, that puts the thread officially past the opening arguments and into the scrapping phase.
Clips or flats?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Mon 25/Jul/16 7:29pm

bikedog wrote:I'm lookin for a x1, so much simpler, less weight and less wear & maintenance. Sure you have less gears

Even betterer then - take off the front shifter, derailleur, chain rings and chain guide, sell them and throw on a narrow wide ring. Even cheaper than the $3700!

Wobbler wrote:1x does not have less wear or maintenance, in the same way a single pivot does not have less maintenance than a multipivot bike

Defo less wear on your brain as you no longer need to calculate the perfect shift sequence to ensure you step through every available gear ratio in the correct order.

I'm also noticing a significant decrease of wear on my left thumb and forefinger. But I don't have a #enduro seat post, so I might be a special case.

Come on wachy, we know it's you... :sneaky:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby bikedog on Wed 27/Jul/16 6:20pm

So your saying a 2x has less problems and is cheaper to service than a x1 ?
bikedog

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 27/Jul/16 6:27pm

Well you are spreading the load between 2 chainrings and can get longer chain life with ability of a better chainline.
2x does not have more or less problems, just different ones.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Wed 27/Jul/16 8:05pm

bikedog wrote:So your saying a 2x has less problems and is cheaper to service than a x1 ?

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Well you are spreading the load between 2 chainrings and can get longer chain life with ability of a better chainline.
2x does not have more or less problems, just different ones.

This.

Plenty of pluses and minuses on both sides.
1x rings are more expensive than 2x, but you only need to buy one of them.
1x chainine isn't quite as good, but plenty of people cross chain like mongs and don't understand that it's bad.

I recently made the switch from 3x to 1x, no regrets. If I was buying a new bike I wouldn't let 1x vs 2x original setup deter me, it's an easy change to make down the track when you're replacing worn drivetrain parts. Unless it is a 1x specific frame with no front derailleur mount - that would be a negative in my book.

1x is working well for me - and I haven't needed to go for a stupidly big cassette (on a 32 tooth oval chainring and 11-36 cassette (on 26" wheels)). Front shifting (or mis shifting) has always been a bug bear of mine - so it's kind of refreshing in that regard.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby bikedog on Thu 28/Jul/16 7:35am

So you do prefer no front derailleur. Would that be because it is more reliable when changing gear or some other reason? Have you found it offers enough range in gears? I read some people say they don't?
bikedog

Postby OliverBendix on Thu 28/Jul/16 9:18am

Front gear changes are slower and clunkier than rear, as the chain is crossing from one chain ring to the other under some load where on the rear it crosses with no load. So if you don't need a front changer, it's nice to not have one.

The gear range you need depends where you ride and how strong, spinny, competitive etc. you are. Personal preference really. I have one 3x 10 bike, one single speed and like them both for different reasons. And most things I ride on one I can ride on the other.

I wouldn't let 1x or 2x make much difference to my preference for a new bike - it's not forever as if you ride a reasonable amount you'll be up for a new drivetrain at some point anyway. And drivetrain doesn't make the biggest difference to your ride experience, particularly off road, so long as it works and you can climb what you need to.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 28/Jul/16 11:11am

It depends entirely where you ride. 11-42 is not enough range for me. I'm still 1x because I don't ever want to drop a chain. I'm currently using a 36t chainring to get the top end I want, but 32:42 would be a much better climbing gear. 10-42 SRAM would suit me fine I think. Eagle better still.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts