Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby cauld on Fri 14/Sep/12 8:00pm

The hardworking team at http://www.getacross.org.nz have announced that they have a potential Public/Private partnership deal in progress for the Auckland Harbour Bridge Cycleway. A tolled cycle way. That is just freaking fantastic.

Not only do we get a great new cycle way but we
a) Don't make an unnecessary drain on the central or local government finances and;
b) This shit is gonna have the Green party turning freaking summersaults. A tolled cycle way organized by evil private equity firm... Magic!
cauld
User avatar
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby jo on Fri 14/Sep/12 8:05pm

Thats great news cauld!
Thanks to Morrison & Co for providing the financing to make it happen. :thumbsup:
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 14/Sep/12 8:27pm

tolled ? you mean I have got to pay again?
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby therollex on Fri 14/Sep/12 8:44pm

And they dictate how many are using it at one time. So you may have to queue
therollex
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 14/Sep/12 8:54pm

Doh
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby jo on Fri 14/Sep/12 9:43pm

If you live in akl you should be used to queuing. :sly:
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby Crashed on Fri 14/Sep/12 9:54pm

Tolls have got to be cheaper than the ferry devonport to auckland return is $11 . Ownership and control of the $28 million SkyPath is given to Council after the tolling period, so it will be free one day .It is also a walk way ,so it will become a tourist trap with the fantastic views of harbour, there was also some talk of a cafe in a pod about half way across .Once it is built they will see how many people commute by bike and wont be able to ignore cycling as a real transport option ,the more people that ride the more cycle infrastructure we will get :)
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 14/Sep/12 10:55pm

Crashed wrote:Tolls have got to be cheaper than the ferry devonport to auckland return is $11 . Ownership and control of the $28 million SkyPath is given to Council after the tolling period, so it will be free one day .It is also a walk way ,so it will become a tourist trap with the fantastic views of harbour, there was also some talk of a cafe in a pod about half way across .Once it is built they will see how many people commute by bike and wont be able to ignore cycling as a real transport option ,the more people that ride the more cycle infrastructure we will get :)



Good news :thumbsup:
A cafe :ib: ...Aucklanders just can't survive without Lattes on offer :hmmm:
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby EoinC on Sat 15/Sep/12 12:29am

Mickyfinn wrote:tolled ? you mean I have got to pay again?

Your choice at the moment is to not pay and not ride.
Your choice in the future is to not pay and not ride, or to pay and ride.
Your choices have increased. If you don't like your new choice, stick to your pre-existing choice.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 15/Sep/12 12:54am

Two bucks a trip is a good deal but there are quite a lot of two buckses in $28M!
The "tolling period" is not specified but it could be quite a while. Meanwhile the council tops up earnings if under 75% of expected return. Sounds like a fine idea.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby mtnkiwiishere on Sat 15/Sep/12 8:11am

Great news. Almost worth a trip to Auckland for one day. Congrats to the Get Across team, persistence!
mtnkiwiishere
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby wpp1 on Sat 15/Sep/12 8:31am

Queuing won't be a problem for commuters as they are not in a big group, and at the time commuters are riding there won't be many other users like pedestrians. It will be the weekends that queues will happen. There will be an explosion in pedestrian numbers.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby brian245 on Sat 15/Sep/12 8:47am

wpp1 wrote:Queuing won't be a problem for commuters as they are not in a big group, and at the time commuters are riding there won't be many other users like pedestrians. It will be the weekends that queues will happen. There will be an explosion in pedestrian numbers.


The New Plymouth coastal 'walkway' has proven that pedestrians and cyclists do not mix.
It may work where the pedestrians are disciplined enough ,but total caos here
brian245
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 15/Sep/12 9:10am

brian245 wrote:
wpp1 wrote:Queuing won't be a problem for commuters as they are not in a big group, and at the time commuters are riding there won't be many other users like pedestrians. It will be the weekends that queues will happen. There will be an explosion in pedestrian numbers.


The New Plymouth coastal 'walkway' has proven that pedestrians and cyclists do not mix.
It may work where the pedestrians are disciplined enough ,but total caos here


I've only ridden it a few times and had no probs. You'll never please everybody all the time but the majority seem happy with sharing things in life. The whingers and those that always moan are just showing their true disposition. Small towns seem worse in my biased opinion.
thelongwalk
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Harbour Bridge - Tolled Cycle Way

Postby cauld on Sat 15/Sep/12 9:17am

thelongwalk wrote:
brian245 wrote:
wpp1 wrote:Queuing won't be a problem for commuters as they are not in a big group, and at the time commuters are riding there won't be many other users like pedestrians. It will be the weekends that queues will happen. There will be an explosion in pedestrian numbers.


The New Plymouth coastal 'walkway' has proven that pedestrians and cyclists do not mix.
It may work where the pedestrians are disciplined enough ,but total caos here


I've only ridden it a few times and had no probs. You'll never please everybody all the time but the majority seem happy with sharing things in life. The whingers and those that always moan are just showing their true disposition. Small towns seem worse in my biased opinion.


New Plymouth is my home town and I've walked that walkway numerous times. Never had any bike conflict issues.
cauld
User avatar
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway - Latest Posts

Who is online

68 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], oldandlazy, UK_Exile, Wobbler and 64 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit