Hamilton Real Estate

Postby spiderweb on Sat 16/Apr/11 10:47pm

Hi, if you were new to Hamilton, what would be the recommended areas of the city to be looking at for real estate these days. I think the Eastern side would be the preferable but still scouting options around possible move.

Please fire away
spiderweb
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Hamilton Real Estate

Postby RussS on Sat 16/Apr/11 11:41pm

Depends on the sort of property you are looking for.
RussS
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby spiderweb on Sun 17/Apr/11 8:59am

yep, should have added probably 2-3 bedrooms.
spiderweb

Postby jo on Sun 17/Apr/11 9:20am

You are coming back? :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Sun 17/Apr/11 9:39am

Eastside 4 lyf! :cool:

You thinking Southern Eastside or Northern?

Do you want to be within the city limits? Tamahere, Newstead & Matangi :love: are all outside the boundary but 10-15mins from the centre of town (assuming a good run through Cobham Dr)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby spiderweb on Sun 17/Apr/11 9:54am

I guess outside the city limits is fine. Don't know much about north-south of the Eastside hence the query.
Have heard that the growth has been north as the mega-centres and development has moved from the main street north

:)
spiderweb

Postby RussS on Sun 17/Apr/11 10:20am

Cobham drive can be a real shit when going to or coming home from work. Then again, I guess it depends on where you work, what you do and what hours you keep. One thing to note is that if you are inside city limits the rates in the south east used to be kinda steep - not sure if it has leveled out, but was a turn off when we were looking. There is also a shit load of work going on in regard to roading. The western bypass is in full swing and the eastern ring road is also well under way finally.
RussS

Postby scatter on Sun 17/Apr/11 11:14am

Southern Eastside is full of student flats. Only "new" houses are opposite Ruakura (can't remember what they called that subdivision) and outside the city limits.
Northern Eastside is where all the building is happening. I'm always a little gobsmacked at the development out that way when I head home (Mel lives out that way....maybe PM her for the lowdown?)

It probably depends on where you're going to be working. I used to live in the south and work at the university so the only ways across the river for me were SH3/Cobham Drive or over the Narrows and onto SH1 at Tamahere :blink:
scatter

Postby Mel on Sun 17/Apr/11 2:43pm

Yep, I live in 'the north' now (eastern side) and I like it. It's easy to go to Auckland or Cambridge, Tauranga, Taupo from here, but not so good for heading west or south to Te Awamutu. Husband works in the Central City and it takes 15-25mins to drive in depending on what part of peak hour traffic you hit. Would take a similar amount of time on a bike depending on how Kamikaze you are.

This area has the most new houses to choose from, most are 3+ bedrooms.

Happy to talk via PM if you want to know more. :)
Mel
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Sun 17/Apr/11 2:53pm

... can I add a couple more questions :sneaky:
=} what's the climate like?, I've heard it's not great but what about compared to say chch?
=} what the biking like (MTB and road riding)?
mfw
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby RussS on Sun 17/Apr/11 4:26pm

mfw wrote:... can I add a couple more questions :sneaky:
=} what's the climate like?, I've heard it's not great but what about compared to say chch?

Lots better - warmer for a start.

what the biking like (MTB and road riding)?

The HMTB track is at Pukete in the northern burbs - only a short ride from where all the new houses are. When the ring road is complete it will make going to Rororua a lot easier, but is really only a little over an hour. Taupo is a couple hours and there is also Te Aroha, Te Pahu (new track) and Te Miro not too far away. Plenty of good road riding in the area - hilly of flat depending on your preference.
RussS

Postby scatter on Sun 17/Apr/11 6:39pm

RussS wrote:
mfw wrote:... can I add a couple more questions :sneaky:

Lots better - warmer for a start.

But the big plus for the mighty Tron over Chch? No earthquakes :)
scatter

Postby spiderweb on Sun 17/Apr/11 9:17pm

Thanks for all the replies. :thumbsup:
Still looking at my options at this stage but the responses have given me a bit of focus as to where to do the analysis on trademe to get a better feel of whether Hamilton is a possible goer.

Thanks again. Now off to begin my homework.
spiderweb

Postby Muscleworx on Mon 18/Apr/11 4:13pm

Hillcrest - close enough to town, and more importantly Rotovegas.
Muscleworx
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Mel on Mon 18/Apr/11 5:12pm

Yes, I should have added Rotorua to my 'easy to get to' list. We shoot out Puketaha Road and onto SH1B to head south and connect to SH1 at Cambridge. :cool:
Mel
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Clubs | Hamilton MTB Club - Latest Posts