tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby tanadog on Wed 13/Nov/13 9:01pm

so the GSB route has been released.... some nice country in that. Exciting.....
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby stealth mode on Wed 13/Nov/13 10:16pm

:thumbsup:
tanadog wrote:so the GSB route has been released.... some nice country in that. Exciting.....
stealth mode
User avatar
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby scatter on Thu 14/Nov/13 7:03am

What an awesome route!
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby multisportscott on Thu 14/Nov/13 8:22am

What an awesome route.
This appears to be somewhat more achievable (easy) than the first iteration. The need for resupply points vs great backcountry riding is certainly a hard balance to find in NZ. I have been playing with a "Length of the South Island" route for a while now, and whilst there are plenty of options for an epic backcounrty ride, to design a "self-supported" type event where you need resupply (on your own rather than have delivered), the options become much more limiting. This course IMO strikes a fantastic balance.

My only criticism is the timing, being two weeks before the Kiwi Brevet. It truly is a pity that the two organisers couldn't sort it out so that these events are run in different years. The pool of entrants is pretty limited and it would be great for the "sport" if there was a bigger event each year rather than both been held a couple of weeks apart.
I would love to do both but wrangling two weeks off work, two weeks apart make this difficult, not insurmountable, but difficult.
I hope someone picks up the reigns from Simon if next year’s KB really is his last. If they do fingers crossed they will run it on "odd" years and have GSB on "even" years.

Le Petit Brevet is on again this coming weekend if anyone is keen for a 260km/7600m climb fest? 7am at Hansen Park in St Martins, Christchurch.

Cheers, Scott
multisportscott
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby tanadog on Thu 14/Nov/13 11:18am

I like the extensive use of cycleways and the adventure racing style cut off in Qtn with the boat - nice. I can see some coffee time on the foreshore waiting for the ferry!

There's a few interesting bits in the course. If it pi%^$ing down on start day and the Godley River is running high, does the round Tekapo loop get cancelled.

Does the "No posting stuff to anywhere prior to the race" include leaving a gear in Tekapo and picking it up after lapping the lake?

Seems to me may have the route off Grandview a bit off. Have ridden that way quite a few years back and not sure the ridge route that links the track from Grandview Station to Johns Ck connects with Nook Rd access.... can't quite remember. DOC info says that creek track stops short, only by a bit tho'
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby Simonk on Tue 19/Nov/13 1:05pm

multisportscott wrote:What an awesome route.
This appears to be somewhat more achievable (easy) than the first iteration. The need for resupply points vs great backcountry riding is certainly a hard balance to find in NZ. I have been playing with a "Length of the South Island" route for a while now, and whilst there are plenty of options for an epic backcounrty ride, to design a "self-supported" type event where you need resupply (on your own rather than have delivered), the options become much more limiting. This course IMO strikes a fantastic balance.

My only criticism is the timing, being two weeks before the Kiwi Brevet. It truly is a pity that the two organisers couldn't sort it out so that these events are run in different years. The pool of entrants is pretty limited and it would be great for the "sport" if there was a bigger event each year rather than both been held a couple of weeks apart.
I would love to do both but wrangling two weeks off work, two weeks apart make this difficult, not insurmountable, but difficult.
I hope someone picks up the reigns from Simon if next year’s KB really is his last. If they do fingers crossed they will run it on "odd" years and have GSB on "even" years.

Le Petit Brevet is on again this coming weekend if anyone is keen for a 260km/7600m climb fest? 7am at Hansen Park in St Martins, Christchurch.

Cheers, Scott


Just to clear up the implication that the 'two' organisers couldn't sort it out...I posted the Feb 2012 date for the second Kiwi Brevet on the event blog on the 6th June 2010. I also emailed this to the GSB organiser on the 21st of June 2010:
"I only plan to run the Kiwi Brevet in even numbered years."

He announced his event date eight months later, in March 2011.

It was his unfortunate decision to run the GSB at a time that clashes with the Kiwi Brevet. As people from overseas had already made bookings for the 2012 Kiwi Brevet, it would have been a bit rude of me to change the date.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby multisportscott on Wed 20/Nov/13 4:16pm

Hi Simon, sorry if my comments caused any offense, none intended in the slightest.

As you know I'm a supporter of your event and will be in attendance (barring anything out of my control) again in 2014.

There is probably enough room for both events in the same summer, just not two weeks apart for most people.

Cheers, Scott
multisportscott
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby Simonk on Wed 20/Nov/13 4:51pm

multisportscott wrote:Hi Simon, sorry if my comments caused any offense, none intended in the slightest.

As you know I'm a supporter of your event and will be in attendance (barring anything out of my control) again in 2014.

There is probably enough room for both events in the same summer, just not two weeks apart for most people.

Cheers, Scott


Yeah...thanks Scott. As you can tell, the whole think rankles me somewhat. I prefer to think about it as little as possible, which is quite easy when out riding on a sunny day like today! :)
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby multisportscott on Wed 20/Nov/13 9:55pm

Understandably.
Sorry for my misinformed post :-)
Cheers, S
multisportscott
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby tanadog on Thu 12/Dec/13 5:05pm

the rego form is up on the GSB blog, for those that are keen.

Looks like the KB has "sold out" (??) so maybe this is your option if you're up for some breveteering this summer.....
Last edited by tanadog on Fri 13/Dec/13 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby Simonk on Thu 12/Dec/13 9:29pm

tanadog wrote:the rego form is up on the GSB blog, for those that are keen.

Looks like the KB has "sold out" (??) so maybe this is your option if you're up for some beveteering this summer.....


The Kiwi Brevet is sitting at just over a hundred people, but based of about 25% of people pulling out in the fortnight prior to the start last year, we'll take an extra 20 people.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby tanadog on Fri 13/Dec/13 8:50pm

we'll take an extra 20 people.
:) :)
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby Dave_Cooper on Mon 13/Jan/14 1:06pm

Anyone driving from Christchurch to Tekapo for the GSB and have room for another person? More than happy to pay a share of all costs.

Cheers
Dave
Dave_Cooper
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Great Southern Brevet

Postby Dave_Cooper on Wed 15/Jan/14 11:07am

Last ditch bump for a ride before I run the gauntlet with the busses. Once again I will pay more than my share of petrol to secure a ride to tekapo...

Cheers
Dave
Dave_Cooper
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

69 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], oldandlazy and 64 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle