Re: La Grande Tour De France Du Concours: 6e édition

Postby dented on Tue 23/Jul/13 8:56pm

Congrats pb, well done. Happy with my own finish, I think my best ever, and even more importantly, avoiding the humiliation of bring beaten by happybaboon
dented
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Tugboat on Tue 23/Jul/13 8:57pm

Cheers all!!

I don't mind all the hardwork given the great nature and good humour you guys bring to the game.

I reckon there'll be some changes next year. I need to do something to get myself into the top half of the field. What does everyone think of gydey's idea for a reserve or two? It's got merit i reckon.

I want to try and encourage a wider selection of riders because at the moment it's pretty clear that to do well you just have to pick a team heavily weighted to the GC guys and hope that you don't get any abandons or Cadel Evans. Maybe something like a huge 1,000 point bonus for the combativity award on each stage or something.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby JustHank on Tue 23/Jul/13 9:40pm

Thanks Tugboat, you run a tight ship :rolleyes: and congrats to PB :thumbsup:
JustHank
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Wed 24/Jul/13 7:57am

Well done pb. The results were similar to the tour - daylight second
Derryn Hinch
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Wed 24/Jul/13 8:00am

Tugboat wrote:Cheers all!!

I don't mind all the hardwork given the great nature and good humour you guys bring to the game.

I reckon there'll be some changes next year. I need to do something to get myself into the top half of the field. What does everyone think of gydey's idea for a reserve or two? It's got merit i reckon.

I want to try and encourage a wider selection of riders because at the moment it's pretty clear that to do well you just have to pick a team heavily weighted to the GC guys and hope that you don't get any abandons or Cadel Evans. Maybe something like a huge 1,000 point bonus for the combativity award on each stage or something.

I vote for a return to the previous format with a group of restricted riders.

Also increase the bonus points for stage wins to say 500 points.

I disagree on reserves. Surely the idea is to replicate being a DS so losing a rider is part of the game.
Derryn Hinch
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 24/Jul/13 8:50am

Yeah. The restricted rider list did work a bit better in mixing up the teams, maybe just 2 tiers though - an A list with a maximum of 2 or 3 per team and then everyone else). I also thought this morning that instead of just bonus points for the 1st placings on KOMs and intermediate sprints I might change to actual points awarded multiplied by 10. So a cat4 climb would still be just first place getting 10 points (1x10), but an HC climb will award points down to 10th and intermediate sprints and stage finishes down to 20th.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 24/Jul/13 8:58am

Happy with my final result, considering how crap I was doing for a while there!

What about scoring like the team points. Do they not just take the first four (or whatever) riders to finish for the team total? May be a logistical nightmare, but then would not need any replacements... since they don't have backup riders on the tour, and the impacts of boat anchors like Evans would be reduced... just thoughts. :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 24/Jul/13 9:02am

dented wrote:Congrats pb, well done. Happy with my own finish, I think my best ever, and even more importantly, avoiding the humiliation of bring beaten by happybaboon

:hmmm:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Wed 24/Jul/13 9:09am

dented wrote:Congrats pb, well done. Happy with my own finish, I think my best ever, and even more importantly, avoiding the humiliation of bring beaten by happybaboon

:hmmm:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby BianchiBitch2013 on Wed 24/Jul/13 1:33pm

Congrats PB well done. Thanks Tugboat for another great July!!
With regard to all the chat about future rules....how do you calculate it all Tugboat - computer programme?? Must take a heck of a lot of time so we need something easy for you.

Could we pick 2 from the top 10 finishers this year, then 7 from the rest???? to make up our teams.

Could you just give points if your team members finish in top 20 of each stage?? Plus the winner and most aggressive rider?? as well as the usual sprints KOM's.

I also liked it when we also named our picks for Team and overall winners of the 4 jerseys - that was how I won with Sammy Sanchez as he won KOM.

Regardless of what you decide will enter next year.
BianchiBitch2013
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Wed 24/Jul/13 3:54pm

I don't think there should be reservse riders in our team,
The teams at tour don't get to bring in another rider if someone crashes half way through.
I lost out this year because one of my riders got sick but rode through to the end. If you can bring in a reserve you are in a better position if your original rider drops out than if they tough it out and try to get to Paris.
The teams at tour don't get to bring in another rider if someone crashes half way through.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Wed 24/Jul/13 4:32pm

I agree, no reserves. Open to other changes though.
Oli

Postby pb on Wed 24/Jul/13 8:06pm

Thanks everybody. :blush: But a huge thanks to Tugboat for running this again this year.

As for team selections, I agree it could do with a tweak. My team was chosen entirely by the 9 riders with the shortest GC odds on the TAB. GC riders seem to score well in this comp since they are generally near the top on the hill stages and at worst mid-field on the early flat stages to ensure they don't get gapped. Sprinters are generally near the front for the flat stages but waaay down the list on the hill stages.

My pick would be to go back to a limited number of protected riders forcing the selection of sprinters. Or perhaps only counting the top 5 riders on your team for each stage? That would help with the abandons too.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."

Postby Compact on Wed 24/Jul/13 8:46pm

I'd go with the no reserves as its already been said, the tour teams don't get one. Adds to the fun :)

As for the system I personally liked the way it was run at the start as I did way better hahahaha :p

But I'm cool with whatever way it is run, appreciate the time you put in Tugboat :thumbsup:
Compact
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Buds on Wed 24/Jul/13 8:55pm

Need reserves. There is a ZERO chance of being competitive in the comp if you lose a rider with the current format. However if you were to score say the top 30 on each stage then you wouldnt need reserves
Buds
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Cycling | Europe | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts