Re: Graffiti... Art Or A Nuisance?

Postby kona.stinky. on Thu 10/Jun/10 7:04pm

JohnDH wrote:
kona.stinky. wrote:
JohnDH wrote:Tagging as art? If you like art that is weakly conceived, unoriginal, repetitive, derivative, technically unskilled and easily aped; art that makes everyone a little dumber, elicits a narrow interpretative response in viewers; doesn't provide insight, doesn't make a political point, is unaware of surrounds and environmental dynamics (same tag is put everywhere, regardless of site).

Graffiti? Some work makes a point, or is technically skilled, and aware of surrounds (Aotearoa Pasifika cultural styles, not the Bronx 1974). It can be pretty cool public art, better than a blank wall. And it isn't shat all over the fence of some elderly lady down the road who didn't want it, gets stressed and upset about cleaning it off, and feels less safe at home now.

were did I specifically say tagging is art?

Fucking typical Vorb, try to make an intelligent general comment and some self-obsessed nitpicker misses the point completely.

I was asking a question, I was not being sarcastic, no need to go burst a vein.
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Fri 11/Jun/10 8:44am

j2hyde wrote:
bigJIMMY wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Hard to distinguish. What Banksy does is art, possibly as it's done to provoke thought and to stir other peoples emotions. .

completely agree, and wish we had someone out there that had the same intellect and talent creating street art here.

There are plenty of artists here with comparable intellect and talent. Banksy just happened to get popular. IMO Art and other intellectual pursuits do not have comparable mass popularity in NZ. It might be some sort of cultural anti-elitism hangup - like the tall poppy syndrome.

agreed that we have the talent, but no one uses it that i know of to make people think about current issues by way of street art.

if you want to talk about art as a nuisance, then look at all the imported printed/painted canvases they sell at farmers/warehouse/cheap furniture shops, and even shops posing as art galleries. i would NEVER buy something like that. it's fuken horrible.
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Fri 11/Jun/10 10:13am

bigJIMMY wrote:if you want to talk about art as a nuisance, then look at all the imported printed/painted canvases they sell at farmers/warehouse/cheap furniture shops, and even shops posing as art galleries. i would NEVER buy something like that. it's fuken horrible.

are you talking about cheep poster prints of classics (IMO not much different to a GnR poster, thought looks less out of place in a frame), or are you talking the generic art that they print on photo canvases :rolleyes: :crazy: ?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Fri 11/Jun/10 1:54pm

philstar wrote:
bigJIMMY wrote:if you want to talk about art as a nuisance, then look at all the imported printed/painted canvases they sell at farmers/warehouse/cheap furniture shops, and even shops posing as art galleries. i would NEVER buy something like that. it's fuken horrible.

talking the generic art that they print on photo canvases :crazy:
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Fraser on Sat 12/Jun/10 5:30pm

Most artists work with a medium(thing) that they enjoy or feel is a good channel for what they are trying to express. Art is something that serves no purpose but to make your or other peoples brain matter work. Getting paid for it is where you legitimise what you do and also believe that you are better than 'non artists'.
Oddly big hairy bikers explaining to me reasons why they aren't using carbon on particular components are just the same as punters in a gallery.

This is a good blend
http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50771&hilit=+new+zealand+Cleverchap

I however want to shoot taggers.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts