Re: Graffiti... Art Or A Nuisance?

Postby its that guy on Wed 9/Jun/10 9:29am

wachtourak wrote:Spokes, you frequently overuse/misuse HTH, cheapening its impact. Please stop this at once.

You forgot to say HTH
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby JohnDH on Wed 9/Jun/10 9:49am

wernersplace wrote: 7. If the average 'spray can' will cover 22 square feet and the average letter is 8 square feet, how many letters can a tagger spray if he steals 3 full cans of paint and finds 1 can of paint 1/3 empty?______
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Wed 9/Jun/10 10:49am

dented wrote:
philstar wrote:
Spokes wrote:When I catch the little fuck thats writes crap on my Dads house Im going to find new and artistic ways of beating him

tagging on residential property is a scummy thing to do :(

but tagging on advertising is just a personal tag over a corporate tag ( neither of which is appealing )

Advertising, is like going wee's and poo's in a pay-toilet.
Tagging is just pissing anywhere to mark it as your territory.

no advetising is going for a poo on your own front lawn ( or selling the right to poo on your front lawn), tagging is going for a poo on a random front lawn, either way if I walk past I still get to smell the poo :(
Last edited by philstar on Thu 10/Jun/10 11:03am, edited 1 time in total.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Wed 9/Jun/10 4:13pm

JohnDH wrote:Tagging as art? If you like art that is weakly conceived, unoriginal, repetitive, derivative, technically unskilled and easily aped; art that makes everyone a little dumber, elicits a narrow interpretative response in viewers; doesn't provide insight, doesn't make a political point, is unaware of surrounds and environmental dynamics (same tag is put everywhere, regardless of site).

Graffiti? Some work makes a point, or is technically skilled, and aware of surrounds (Aotearoa Pasifika cultural styles, not the Bronx 1974). It can be pretty cool public art, better than a blank wall. And it isn't shat all over the fence of some elderly lady down the road who didn't want it, gets stressed and upset about cleaning it off, and feels less safe at home now.

were did I specifically say tagging is art?
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby pissface on Wed 9/Jun/10 4:24pm

i do note that your example pics mostly showed stencil art, which is a certain branch of graffiti and more clearly identifiable as "art".

Graffiti itself as a term just means "stuff painted on walls", which might be stencils, political slogans, graf, stickups, tags, whatever, and there ar eplenty of examples of these all around the Wgtn walkways.

I think that the intention is important, as in the eternal question "what is art?" as applied to all sorts of things. If the intention is more than just marking territory or defacing other people's stuff, then it has possibilities. Sure, you can have artistic tags also

Other statements worth considering might include:

"It may be art but it is still vandalism"

"Just cos it's art doesn't mean it is good art"

"You may be an artist but you're also an arsehole" (that one applies rather a lot, unfortunately)

"I don't want your art in my home, I shouldn't have to have it on my fence"
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 9/Jun/10 4:40pm

Generally I find that if I like the work or find it in some way interesting then it's art, and if I don't like it then it's rubbish.

And that goes for stuff in galleries/exhibitions too. Some graffiti is great, some (especially modern)"recognised" art is total shit and vice versa.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby fatwombat on Wed 9/Jun/10 4:40pm

its that guy wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Spokes, you frequently overuse/misuse HTH, cheapening its impact. Please stop this at once.

You forgot to say HTH

I never got my newbie memo - what does HTH mean? (or should I say: "LOL, WTF does HTH mean? IMO we have too many TLAs")
:p
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby pissface on Wed 9/Jun/10 5:23pm

fatwombat wrote:
its that guy wrote:

You forgot to say HTH

I never got my newbie memo - what does HTH mean? (or should I say: "LOL, WTF does HTH mean? IMO we have too many TLAs")
:p

HTH is used as a sarcastic pseudo friendly "hope this helps" intended to make it obvious that one is being a dickhead. combine with "champ" for extra recognition of being deliberate.

HTH champ.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby wuffy on Wed 9/Jun/10 5:29pm

LOL WTF IS A TLA?
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby JohnDH on Thu 10/Jun/10 10:59am

kona.stinky. wrote:
JohnDH wrote:Tagging as art? If you like art that is weakly conceived, unoriginal, repetitive, derivative, technically unskilled and easily aped; art that makes everyone a little dumber, elicits a narrow interpretative response in viewers; doesn't provide insight, doesn't make a political point, is unaware of surrounds and environmental dynamics (same tag is put everywhere, regardless of site).

Graffiti? Some work makes a point, or is technically skilled, and aware of surrounds (Aotearoa Pasifika cultural styles, not the Bronx 1974). It can be pretty cool public art, better than a blank wall. And it isn't shat all over the fence of some elderly lady down the road who didn't want it, gets stressed and upset about cleaning it off, and feels less safe at home now.

were did I specifically say tagging is art?

Fucking typical Vorb, try to make an intelligent general comment and some self-obsessed nitpicker misses the point completely.
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Thu 10/Jun/10 11:45am

:D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Thu 10/Jun/10 11:54am

happybaboon wrote:Hard to distinguish. What Banksy does is art, possibly as it's done to provoke thought and to stir other peoples emotions. .

completely agree, and wish we had someone out there that had the same intellect and talent creating street art here.
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby fatwombat on Thu 10/Jun/10 4:42pm

wuffy wrote:LOL WTF IS A TLA?

TLA = Three-Letter Acronym (such as WTF, LOL, HTH, etc) :p
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby wuffy on Thu 10/Jun/10 4:45pm

fatwombat wrote:
wuffy wrote:LOL WTF IS A TLA?

TLA = Three-Letter Acronym (such as WTF, LOL, HTH, etc) :p

IKR :p
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 10/Jun/10 5:37pm

bigJIMMY wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Hard to distinguish. What Banksy does is art, possibly as it's done to provoke thought and to stir other peoples emotions. .

completely agree, and wish we had someone out there that had the same intellect and talent creating street art here.

There are plenty of artists here with comparable intellect and talent. Banksy just happened to get popular. IMO Art and other intellectual pursuits do not have comparable mass popularity in NZ. It might be some sort of cultural anti-elitism hangup - like the tall poppy syndrome.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts