Re: Graffiti... Art Or A Nuisance?

Postby Spokes on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:26pm

When I catch the little fuck thats writes crap on my Dads house Im going to find new and artistic ways of beating him.

HTH.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:27pm

I'm definitely a nuisance.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:29pm

Oli wrote:I'm definitely a nuisance.
Yeah you dirty post deleter :p
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:32pm

Obvious Banksy is Obvious. Graffiti to appease coffee table middle class pseudo liberal guilt.

"He is a background artist, as in background music: like all graffiti, his is essentially an accompaniment to other activities. Chunky sprayed-letter graffiti is a background to skateboarding. Banksy is a background to hating New Labour. The reason to admire Damien Hirst is that he makes art as if art mattered. In Banksy, the philistines are getting their revenge."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2007/jul/05/art
Last edited by BrokenKonaRider on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby Oli on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:37pm

SlackBoy wrote:
I noticed you didn't retort. :eh:
Oli

Postby banga on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:48pm

Spokes wrote:When I catch the little fuck thats writes crap on my Dads house Im going to find new and artistic ways of beating him.

HTH.

Why don't you just stab him? I hear that's the normal thing for over-wight middle-aged white men to do.

HTH
banga
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:58pm

Oli wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
I noticed you didn't retort. :eh:
I wrote out a long reply, and by the time I posted, you had deleted yours. And then I accidentily closed the window.
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Tue 8/Jun/10 9:59pm

Oooh! :D
Oli

Postby JohnDH on Tue 8/Jun/10 10:18pm

Tagging as art? If you like art that is weakly conceived, unoriginal, repetitive, derivative, technically unskilled and easily aped; art that makes everyone a little dumber, elicits a narrow interpretative response in viewers; doesn't provide insight, doesn't make a political point, is unaware of surrounds and environmental dynamics (same tag is put everywhere, regardless of site).

Graffiti? Some work makes a point, or is technically skilled, and aware of surrounds (Aotearoa Pasifika cultural styles, not the Bronx 1974). It can be pretty cool public art, better than a blank wall. And it isn't shat all over the fence of some elderly lady down the road who didn't want it, gets stressed and upset about cleaning it off, and feels less safe at home now.
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby fatwombat on Wed 9/Jun/10 2:54am

wachtourak wrote:Banksy's stuff tends to be cool but I still disagree with painting some shit on someone elses property without consent.

... What he said ...

Some people with amazing art skills do their great artworks on other people's property - that's nice for them to show off their skills, but it's not very fair on the people who didn't want their wall redecorated. And although we can say "It looks better than the blank wall", it also creates a justification for the idiot taggers to spray on people's walls. If graffiti artists need publicity, they should hire billboard space and do their artworks there.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Spokes on Wed 9/Jun/10 7:06am

banga wrote:
Spokes wrote:When I catch the little fuck thats writes crap on my Dads house Im going to find new and artistic ways of beating him.

HTH.

Why don't you just stab him? I hear that's the normal thing for over-wight middle-aged white men to do.

HTH

Happy to, just gotta catch him at it. HTH
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Wed 9/Jun/10 7:11am

Spokes, you frequently overuse/misuse HTH, cheapening its impact. Please stop this at once.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby JohnDH on Wed 9/Jun/10 9:02am

fatwombat wrote: If graffiti artists need publicity, they should hire billboard space and do their artworks there.

Very boring. :)
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Wed 9/Jun/10 9:16am

Spokes wrote:When I catch the little fuck thats writes crap on my Dads house Im going to find new and artistic ways of beating him

tagging on residential property is a scummy thing to do :(

but tagging on advertising is just a personal tag over a corporate tag ( neither of which is appealing )
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby dented on Wed 9/Jun/10 9:22am

philstar wrote:
Spokes wrote:When I catch the little fuck thats writes crap on my Dads house Im going to find new and artistic ways of beating him

tagging on residential property is a scummy thing to do :(

but tagging on advertising is just a personal tag over a corporate tag ( neither of which is appealing )

Advertising, is like going wee's and poo's in a pay-toilet.
Tagging is just pissing anywhere to mark it as your territory.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts