Gps - Small Light And Still Work Under Canopy??

Postby inzane on Mon 11/Dec/06 7:22pm

Hi all,

Looking for a GPS at the moment. Want a nice small light one, but many of the nice small light ones tend not to work very well when you are underneath the canopy of a forest... which happens to be the time that I probably most want it to work!!

The bigger heavier ones work fine... but I want a nice light little one.

Does anyone know if there are any nice light little GPS units that do receive well enough in heavy bush??
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 7:34pm

Try the Garmin X series, they have a special chip that works under trees.

I have a GPSMap 60Cx which works like a charm. There is a dude in CHCH who sells them too and he will know what ones work under trees and which ones wont.

KiwiGPS@paradise.net.nz is who I dealt with and he was wicked.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 7:38pm

ooo smallest X is a legend but not sure if it works under trees.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby GraemeWi on Mon 11/Dec/06 7:54pm

The x series Legend and Vista still have the patch antenna and no sirf chipset.

The 60Cx / 60CSx / 76Cx / 76CSx are the models to go for.

Nordy - have you tried the Garmin web-updater? There is a recent update to the Sirf chipset software - it locks on virtually straight away from cold now :)

G
GraemeWi
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby little_weasel on Mon 11/Dec/06 7:54pm

I've got two Garmins (different models) - both work pretty well under trees although must admit I've not spent hours riding under trees to know the full extent of satellite coverage. Even one of the more sophisticated GPS aerials on the market (made by Trimble) will lose coverage if sheltered under trees-shade canopy for long periods so I would be a little cautious in being too ambitious. Having said that if you find the perfect product, do tell us on Vorb :)
little_weasel
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 11/Dec/06 8:49pm

Sorry to hijack, but what's a good unit to start out with?

i'm thinking about buying one after xmas.
Scotty
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 11/Dec/06 8:56pm

faceplant wrote: Sorry to hijack, but what's a good unit to start out with?

Me too.

Let us know what you find.
I haven't started researching them yet.
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:00pm

GraemeWi wrote: The x series Legend and Vista still have the patch antenna and no sirf chipset.

The 60Cx / 60CSx / 76Cx / 76CSx are the models to go for.

Nordy - have you tried the Garmin web-updater? There is a recent update to the Sirf chipset software - it locks on virtually straight away from cold now :)

G

I cant get it to work on my pc, is there a manual update?
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:03pm

I went for a GPSMap 60Cx because it works under trees, has maps avaliable from either Graemewi's project or other projects and is really easy to use.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:04pm

oh I have used mine in both the redwoods and woodhill forest, both have fairly constant tree cover and it holds lock consistantly.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby Scotty on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:05pm

I'm thinking one of these might come in handy in Welly given my tendency to get lost. :blush:
Scotty
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby little_weasel on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:06pm

faceplant wrote: Sorry to hijack, but what's a good unit to start out with?

Probably depends on what you plan to use it for. For mountain biking the etrex has always, and remains, very reliable and good value for money. The yellow one is the lowest in the range but has the same basic features as the others. The pitfall is that you can't load more than one map of waypoints (route) on it at a time (This was the case until a few years ago but would pay to check). They are very reliable and I have had no problems with designing routes on mapping software and downloading to the unit. Great for all day adventure hikes. Still take a map and compass but saves getting it out at every fork you come too.

The gecko range is newer, by that I mean about 3 years. They are smaller and some people like that feature. Haven't had any experience so can't pass on any comments about them.

The Edge range has 101 features. A bit OTT but does have an improved GPS aerial and the batteries are vastly improved over the old etrex models. I'm not sure what battery system is on new etrex models but suspect it would have been improved given that mine guzzle batteries but other than that it has been slopped through the mud, survived a few rock-stair crashes, and still works reliably.

You need to go to somewhere like mapworld in ChCh who have many on display and have a good look. Also read the garmin web page as there's a stack of very easy to absorb and useful info on the site.
There are several other units, smaller and larger, so really a case of gathering some information to assist with decision making. I think one of the UK MTB mags last month was promoting the yellow etrex (comes with colour screen now) as an excellent 'basic GPS unit' chrisse pressie for someone. Time to start dropping the hints :D
little_weasel
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:07pm

it doesnt help that, we still got lost in vegas due to SOMEONES knowledge of the area insisting the gps was wrong.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby Dougal on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:08pm

faceplant wrote: I'm thinking one of these might come in handy in Welly given my tendency to get lost. :blush:

Dear god, you may unwittingly end up in the Hutt. :crazy:

At least in welly your cellphone will tell you what area you're in. Down here getting lost is only half the worry. The other worry is who'll "find" you. :(
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 9:13pm

you live in Gore?
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Sifting - Latest Posts