Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 10:20pm

avantibill wrote: I checked the Garmin website to see if there were updates for my Etrex. Downloaded a 6.3MB "WebUpdater" software, plugged in my GPS , it informs me I have the latest software version 2.14 . Well I have had that version for the last 3 years dammit. They can't be giving any more support for my yellow Etrex any more :(

Try this page http://www.garmin.com/support/collectio ... 0-00190-00

garmin.com wrote:Update Unit Software with WebUpdater
* Use WebUpdater to automatically keep your operating software current.

Unit Software
* eTrex Ver. 2.14 as of Jun 14, 2002 Download
* eTrex/eTrex Camo/eTrex Summit Ver. 3.50 as of May 29, 2006 Download
Compatible with versions: 3.00 or greater
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Nordy on Mon 11/Dec/06 10:23pm

avantibill wrote:
Nordy wrote: I have the topo maps for all of NZ and it is so cool. Going to test a new Autorouting map soon too

Same here with the latest Tumonz (Tumonz 3) www.tumonz.co.nz

I went for the version the dude I bought my GPS off sells. It was cheaper.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby GraemeWi on Tue 12/Dec/06 12:18pm

I should point out that the topo maps Nordy has actually load onto the GPS and are shown as topo maps on the GPS. Topo maps on a GPS rock :thumbsup:

Tumonz (or whatever they are called) do not load maps onto the GPS and run on a PC only.

I'd also suggest having a look through the NZ GPS forums www.gps.org.nz before buying a GPS, and maybe checking out that your needs will be met by a particular model. I own 3 GPS units for map development purposes and each has a particular set of attributes that are more suited to one purpose than another.

Cheers,

G
GraemeWi
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby Nordy on Tue 12/Dec/06 12:52pm

GraemeWi I got the manual update to work and its bloody awesome. I can now get lock at work in a concrete/steel building
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby GraemeWi on Tue 12/Dec/06 12:54pm

Nordy wrote: GraemeWi I got the manual update to work and its bloody awesome. I can now get lock at work in a concrete/steel building

It's awesome that they can tweak the software like that! I've found the power-on lock on time to be virtually straight away now :)

Autorouting link http://www.gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65

Cheers,

G
GraemeWi
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby Nordy on Tue 12/Dec/06 12:58pm

got more areas yet? I had a play this morning, decided my ways were better and it kept bugging me about recalculating. :p
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby Nordy on Tue 12/Dec/06 1:01pm

OMg that looks like the whole country is covered? w00t, auto navigate to castlerock here we come.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Postby danose on Tue 12/Dec/06 1:36pm

inzane wrote: Tis for the girly. I might just have to tell her to get real, accept that a good GPS that will work under canopy will be of a certain size...

I will get in touch with the GPS guy and ask him as well tho...

what about the timex bodylink trail runner - it's got waypoints/location (unlike the other bodylink series), and essentially splits the unit in two (smallish receiver that can go in pack, wristwatch sized control/readout)

I know these work well under canopy, as they were actually developed here in chch by the OEM side of NavMan (after the first gen timex was made by garmin and was useless) - it's was beta tested running around things like mt oxford (has a lot of smart programming to get around intermittent partial coverage).

Kind of helped that my mate (who was part of the s/w design team) and his old man are both keen runners - they reckoned being paid to go for a trail run to test it was really hard :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby inzane on Tue 12/Dec/06 1:45pm

danose wrote:
inzane wrote: Tis for the girly. I might just have to tell her to get real, accept that a good GPS that will work under canopy will be of a certain size...

I will get in touch with the GPS guy and ask him as well tho...

what about the timex bodylink trail runner - it's got waypoints/location (unlike the other bodylink series), and essentially splits the unit in two (smallish receiver that can go in pack, wristwatch sized control/readout)

I know these work well under canopy, as they were actually developed here in chch by the OEM side of NavMan (after the first gen timex was made by garmin and was useless) - it's was beta tested running around things like mt oxford (has a lot of smart programming to get around intermittent partial coverage).

Kind of helped that my mate (who was part of the s/w design team) and his old man are both keen runners - they reckoned being paid to go for a trail run to test it was really hard :thumbsup:

hmm maybe. I like the sound of the x series, load topo maps onto GPS...go explore!!

Will have to see what the girl wants tho...
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby skippy10 on Tue 12/Dec/06 7:15pm

wow that mapping stuff is cool.

I do like your Gps Nordy, and i think i want one, but i'm not sure if i can make myself spend that much!!

at least not while there are other toys on the list
skippy10
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Nordy on Tue 12/Dec/06 7:29pm

its worth it to pay the extra for the functionality it gives
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"

Sifting - Latest Posts