Google Launches Street View For Hiking Trails

Postby mfw on Wed 13/Jun/12 10:27am

:music: Hmm, biking trails next..?
Google-Street-View.jpg

Google wrote:Google’s quest to create the perfect map has reached a new milestone. Using a backpack-mounted multilens camera setup, Google employees can now record places and routes only reachable by foot (or ski). The Android-powered device weighs 40 pounds and holds 15 cameras, a hard drive and enough battery power for a full day of exploration.

After Google’s indoor maps for navigating large interior spaces and Street View for the Amazon and landmarks, perhaps this was inevitable. It certainly democratizes outdoor spaces to an extent, allowing those unable to travel far the benefit of at least visually experiencing nature.

http://mashable.com/2012/06/12/google-s ... ng-trails/
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Google Launches Street View For Hiking Trails

Postby danose on Wed 13/Jun/12 10:29am

mfw wrote::music: Hmm, biking trails next..?
Google-Street-View.jpg

Google wrote:Google’s quest to create the perfect map has reached a new milestone. Using a backpack-mounted multilens camera setup, Google employees can now record places and routes only reachable by foot (or ski). The Android-powered device weighs 40 pounds and holds 15 cameras, a hard drive and enough battery power for a full day of exploration.

After Google’s indoor maps for navigating large interior spaces and Street View for the Amazon and landmarks, perhaps this was inevitable. It certainly democratizes outdoor spaces to an extent, allowing those unable to travel far the benefit of at least visually experiencing nature.

40lb! so they'll only be mapping nice, flat trails - imagine lugging that up a mountain!!!
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby thelivo on Wed 13/Jun/12 11:11am

danose wrote:
mfw wrote::music: Hmm, biking trails next..?
Google-Street-View.jpg

40lb! so they'll only be mapping nice, flat trails - imagine lugging that up a mountain!!!

Nah - 40lbs is not THAT heavy. Standard military rucksacks weigh 65 lbs upwards depending on the purpose and those guys don't get a lot of choice whether they go up hills or not.
(Thats not saying I would want to be the person doing it!)
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 13/Jun/12 11:23am

That would be interesting riding some MTB tracks with it on, could be a bit of a hazard with over-hanging branches!! :crazy: :o :lol:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby danose on Wed 13/Jun/12 11:41am

thelivo wrote:Nah - 40lbs is not THAT heavy. Standard military rucksacks weigh 65 lbs upwards depending on the purpose and those guys don't get a lot of choice whether they go up hills or not.
(Thats not saying I would want to be the person doing it!)

normal infantry aren't made to climb mountains with that sort of load on though - they leave that to the expert lunatics (i.e. the SAS)

I can tell you from first hand experience that 18kg is pretty bloody marginal on steep terrain - we used to aim to get under 15kg mountaineering, 12kg was ideal
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 13/Jun/12 12:23pm

They're not going mountaineering though - I assume "hiking trails" are more along the lines of our Great Walks. I tramped the Heaphy with a ~21kg pack, including a 43km day, and it wasn't so bad.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Wed 13/Jun/12 12:31pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:They're not going mountaineering though - I assume "hiking trails" are more along the lines of our Great Walks. I tramped the Heaphy with a ~21kg pack, including a 43km day, and it wasn't so bad.

Yep agreed. I've been round the brecon beacons with 80lbs on exercise, and its doable. Not fun, but doable.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby .I. on Wed 13/Jun/12 12:46pm

If the quality of the 3d images that are rumoured to coming out of the spy plans for the next level of mapping, it might make those thing old technology anyway
.I.
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Wed 13/Jun/12 12:56pm

.I. wrote:If the quality of the 3d images that are rumoured to coming out of the spy plans for the next level of mapping, it might make those thing old technology anyway

'cept many of our best tracks is under native bush, spy planes ain't gonna see under dat is they? :paranoid:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 13/Jun/12 2:16pm

Looks like a fun job.

One day Google cat cam will show the world what is under your house.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 13/Jun/12 2:51pm

did 3 days through Pelorus including climbing over 1000m one day with 25kg packs ( had to carry own water ) bush wacking too, not on marked trails. hard but not undoable
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 13/Jun/12 3:49pm

shmoodiver wrote:did 3 days through Pelorus including climbing over 1000m one day with 25kg packs ( had to carry own water ) bush wacking too, not on marked trails. hard but not undoable

You are a beast of a man though... :love:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 13/Jun/12 4:58pm

40lb is a medium weight tramping pack. Alpine climbers basically carry a tramping pack plus another 10kg of expensive nuts & bolts.

If any weight weenie cyclist is finding they are having trouble taking it seriously a bit of mountain climbing might bring back the feeling of purpose. Drill out your toothbrush!
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 13/Jun/12 8:52pm

Who amongst us will be first to be captured on 'singletrackview' standing at the side of the track with his or her wanger/hoohoo out? :eh:
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby happybaboon on Wed 13/Jun/12 8:56pm

Are you proposing a competition?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Sifting | Tramping - Latest Posts