Re: Good Tubeless Trail Tyre

Postby ringo on Tue 20/Oct/09 8:46pm

Just to throw something else in here - has anyone tried Kenda Excavators? Have seen a lot of great reviews from overseas. Most people saw it as a faster rolling Nevegal that rails really well and handles a range of track surfaces pretty well.
ringo
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Tue 20/Oct/09 9:51pm

I put Mountain Kings on mine when I built it last year. Took the "Protection" version - jizzed up fine and was welll impressed with how they held on.

Swapped to Nobbie Nics for winter. They were fitted on the morining of a ride so chucked in toobs. Never got around to jizzing them.

Have just put the Monutain Knig back on the front and a Speed King (Supersonic) on the back.

First ride will be this week-end. You can take them for a fang if you want.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby musket on Tue 20/Oct/09 9:55pm

SlackBoy wrote:
musket wrote:The 2.1 Maxxis ADvantage i...
Not that you likely didn't, but for the masses, when you run an eXCception series maxxis tire tubeless, you DO need to run a few more psi than you would in most others. This is because the sidewall is so thin. You will endup with the same feel as in a std, but less weight, and softer rubber and thus more go and more grip.

For sure. First rode I tore the front right off. Nothing ruins the new bike buzz like a smattering of jizz while railing a berm. I run 28 now, and they're mint. The stan's rims seem to hold the bead very securely.
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby dented on Wed 21/Oct/09 7:37am

Colin wrote:I put Mountain Kings on mine when I built it last year. Took the "Protection" version - jizzed up fine and was welll impressed with how they held on.

Swapped to Nobbie Nics for winter. They were fitted on the morining of a ride so chucked in toobs. Never got around to jizzing them.

Have just put the Monutain Knig back on the front and a Speed King (Supersonic) on the back.

First ride will be this week-end. You can take them for a fang if you want.
Are you bringing the BLT2?
*does a wee dance*
Would love to have a bounce on that. Have used Mountain Kings before, actually found no problem with them, they just have a funny looking tread pattern.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby thorg on Wed 21/Oct/09 7:48am

dented wrote:Im quite keen to try Nobby Nics because I have only heard good things about them, would be keen to hear from anyone who has tried the non-UST version as a tubeless setup, did they seal up ok? Resilient enough?
The non UST has MUCH thinner side wall, so flexes more at lower pressures. You do get less weight though. I found they beaded well, and no worries with being pourous (sp?). If your riding around loards of sharp rocks (Makara, Otago etc) I'd stick with UST. Have run them on mavic (UST and non UST rims), DMR, and Alex rims no worries. Always with the Stans jizz.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 21/Oct/09 7:52am

Ive never used UST tires, they're too heavy.

I liked NN's but they do wear quickly. To get to such a light weight they do have thin sidewalls which could be an issue.

I always recommend Larsen TT's for everything. Best tire eva!
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby ThingOne on Wed 21/Oct/09 7:57am

I have alwasy run either Larsens of Crossmarks Exceptions NON UST with jizz, never had a problem around makara, vic , wainui or any other trail, only place I ever get problems with cut sidewalls is around karapoti, which I have a special set of Larsen TT USTs for (just wish I had used them this year :( )
For Vegas in summer I find Crossmarks perfect, for winter I liked the Maxxis Advantages if its muddy.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Colin on Wed 21/Oct/09 8:12am

dented wrote:Are you bringing the BLT2?

Yup
Colin

Postby dented on Wed 21/Oct/09 8:31am

Colin wrote:

Yup
:rolleyes:
(sent a memo to the war office re: Saturday arvo, the tacit reply has implicated provisional approval) :thumbsup:
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby grahamt on Wed 21/Oct/09 10:50am

I ran nobby nic evolution (non-UST) 2.25 and 2.4's tubeless for a couple of years. Never had trouble seating or holding air. Only issue with them is that the non-UST version has thin sidewalls which are not compatible with Christchurch Port Hills rocks. Tore a few sidewalls and have since gone to Maxxis Ardents which I am still enjoying. Going to try a rubber queen on the front next.

I found the Nobby Nics to be very good in Rotorua, where the tracks are more groomed and have less sharp rocks. Good predictable grip.
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Colin on Wed 21/Oct/09 10:55am

dented wrote:
Colin wrote:

Yup
:rolleyes:
(sent a memo to the war office re: Saturday arvo, the tacit reply has implicated provisional approval) :thumbsup:

Cool - can stay local or pop over to Vegas depending on your time frame / preferences (all options are little visited trails for me so all good)

pm me your address so I can googlemap it before I loose access to the interwebs
Colin

Postby Derryn Hinch on Wed 10/Apr/13 11:24am

Bit of a thread dredge here, but I have the same question as the OP and wanted to see if there have been any new developments in tyres.

I sort of ended up with UST tyres by default after i bought a new bike.

Currently running Tioga Red Phoenix 1.9 on the rear and GEAX Barro Mountain 2.1 on the front. These have been great through the summer, but I am concerned that the Red Phoenix, especially, won't grip the mud that well once winter sets in. Wheels are 26"

I mostly ride welly & Hutt Valley trails, mostly intermediate level sifting, no racing, so I mainly want grip in the wet but without excessive weight.

Any new ideas or is this thread still relevant?
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby w00t on Wed 10/Apr/13 12:11pm

Derryn Hinch wrote:Bit of a thread dredge here, but I have the same question as the OP and wanted to see if there have been any new developments in tyres.

I sort of ended up with UST tyres by default after i bought a new bike.

Currently running Tioga Red Phoenix 1.9 on the rear and GEAX Barro Mountain 2.1 on the front. These have been great through the summer, but I am concerned that the Red Phoenix, especially, won't grip the mud that well once winter sets in. Wheels are 26"

I mostly ride welly & Hutt Valley trails, mostly intermediate level sifting, no racing, so I mainly want grip in the wet but without excessive weight.

Any new ideas or is this thread still relevant?

Having recently bought a set of UST wheels and having looked into this myself, the general consensus seems to be most people just run non-UST tyres with sealant on UST rims as they're lighter and (I think) cheaper. I did this myself with Maxxis Minion DHF's and it's fine. Had no problems getting them on and inflated. Maxxis have recently started doing "Tubeless Ready" versions of the Ikon, Minion DHF and DHR II and the High Roller II and will soon have the Ardent as well. Apparently it only adds 50 to 60g so that could be an option.
w00t
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby mark2c on Wed 10/Apr/13 12:29pm

For Hutt Valley trails a tyre with some extra sidewall protection is a good plan.

'UST' usually means the full butyl rubber lining so running sealant isn't essential.

However there is now a new breed of 'tubeless ready' tyres that have tubeless beads (UST/ETRTO compatible), but without the heavy butyl rubber lining. These must run tubeless goo or they go flat overnight.

Tubeless ready Nobby Nics with 'snakeskin' sidewall protection are available and weigh approx 580g claimed for 26x2.25 and 650g for 26x2.4.

There are plenty of other good options out there too.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 10/Apr/13 1:14pm

Maxxis have a bunch of new Tubeless Ready tyres in various flavours out, which should be in stock next week.

Ikons, Highroller2's, Minion DHR2's mostly, in a couple of widths. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts