Re: Good Places To Live With Surfing And Dh Biking?

Postby phunk on Wed 24/Jun/09 3:48pm

scatter wrote:
surfbum wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:I hate to say it, but hamilton ( while it has nothing to offer in itself ) is in easy reach of both coasts ( raglan FTW ), vegas and a little bit further afield is the snow. ( in the years that ruapehu actually gets any )

I hate to agree here but hamilton is close to raglan rotovegas and bay of plenty beaches and has work.

1.5hrs up the road to Piha/Muriwai/Bethells for teh surfs too.

Then you mayaswell live in Auckland and actually enjoy life..
phunk
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 24/Jun/09 3:59pm

phunk wrote:Then you may aswell live in Auckland and actually enjoy life..

Impossible!

My 2c - surfing is more fun, therefore go where the surf is best and the biking is avaliable but not perfect. Dunedin has awesome surf all year round, and nice riding in town and classic ski lift DHs a short drive away.

If you're too soft to handle the cold in Dunedin, either harden up, or move to Gissy
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby scatter on Wed 24/Jun/09 4:07pm

phunk wrote:
scatter wrote:
surfbum wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:I hate to say it, but hamilton ( while it has nothing to offer in itself ) is in easy reach of both coasts ( raglan FTW ), vegas and a little bit further afield is the snow. ( in the years that ruapehu actually gets any )

I hate to agree here but hamilton is close to raglan rotovegas and bay of plenty beaches and has work.

1.5hrs up the road to Piha/Muriwai/Bethells for teh surfs too.

Then you mayaswell live in Auckland and actually enjoy life..

>snore<
Shuddup ur face
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby punkture on Wed 24/Jun/09 4:56pm

No one has mentioned Bluff! Bluff hill DH, Foveaux Straight pipeline... mecca. And oysters, Invers and Tim Shabolt on hand. Mint

But seriously. When thinking about Dunedin consider that Queenstown and Wanaka are only 3 hours drive...goggle Dream track, Skyline, Seven Mile, Coronet, Snow Park DH etc. Makes for one of the best weekend road trippin hubs around. And 300+ surf days, might be hard to beat anywhere on the planet! (If ya don't mind blue balls and permenant ice cream headaches :crazy: ). And while I'm at it, Christchurch Vs Dunedin cities, well we all know the general consensus there. (Not much need for car crushers in Dunners)! :blink:
punkture
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby White-Lightning on Wed 24/Jun/09 5:27pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:No one's mentioned Auckland

there's a good reason for that!
White-Lightning
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Biker4Life on Wed 24/Jun/09 6:19pm

punkture wrote:No one has mentioned Bluff! Bluff hill DH, Foveaux Straight pipeline... mecca. And oysters, Invers and Tim Shabolt on hand. Mint

theres a reason for that
Biker4Life
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 24/Jun/09 6:23pm

While I have no interest in either surfing or downhill I would say Dunedin is the best pick for both. Seeing you said you were looking to move at the end of the year it will be "summer" so won't even be that cold (which is the main thing I have against Dunedin after living there for 25 years)
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Gorse on Wed 24/Jun/09 11:59pm

Check out this Dunedin blog to get an idea of the surf quality: http://phoam.blogspot.com/search?q=book
Gorse
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Surf - Latest Posts