Good, Fast 26inch Road Tyres

Postby Philthy on Mon 1/Dec/14 10:44am

I've been using Continental Sport Contact tyres recently and they've been ace - fast yet durable and tough. Time for a new set and a quick look around makes me think these are not readily available anymore? What else can people recommend for a fast 15km commute in all conditions?
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: Good, Fast 26inch Road Tyres

Postby ryda on Mon 1/Dec/14 10:55am

importer is showing 6 - 26 x 2.0's in stock but only 1 - 1.6
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Mon 1/Dec/14 1:34pm

26 x 1" http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1922

Making the impossible, possible! Daily our product developers pursue this goal and search for new possibilities. This principle has produced SpeedRun, the first folding tire developed exclusively for wheelchairs! It satisfies and combines the requirements of handbikers, indoor sportsmen and everyday users: Ultralight at just 190 g including a highly effective puncture protection layer.

The black rubber compound will not leave unsightly marks and so is suitable also for indoor use. Silver sidewalls give it appealing good looks.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 1/Dec/14 1:50pm

Schwalbe ultramarathons. nice profile. Heavy and a bit slow rolling but I suspect literally bullet proof.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby danose on Mon 1/Dec/14 2:20pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Schwalbe ultramarathons. nice profile. Heavy and a bit slow rolling but I suspect literally bullet proof.

that's the trouble - seems now the choice is heavy/bulletproof/slow (schwalble, speshy nimbus 1.5 armadillo) or fast/easy to puncture. Personally I can't stand slow tyres, so used to commute on maxxis larsen tt 1.8s - which are awesomely fast (espec for something at least notionally off-road oriented - awesome tyres for macleans). Trouble is you needed to use the force to dodge glass (I was generally pretty good - averaged 1 puncture a year commuting daily).

if you want really fast/light - maxxis detonator 26" - basically a mtb sized road tyre :thumbsup:

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-261-119-detonator
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Rik on Mon 1/Dec/14 3:26pm

I ran 700c detonators on my commuter until the rear split the sidewall, must have been a hell of a chunk of shrapnel to puncture there. So they aint bullet-proof.

Front one is still going though :thumbsup:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Fri 16/Jan/15 3:34pm

I have a Shwalbe Marathon plus tire and it was almost impossible to fit onto my mavic XM 117 rim (rear). i now need a new front wheel and want a rim that will fit Shwalbe Marathon plus easier, any recommendations for a inexpensive rim brake 26" rim that fits these tires or a tire that is similar in puncture resistance.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby neels on Fri 16/Jan/15 3:48pm

I ran a set of these http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/INTY ... -resistant on my mtb for a while, not sure if I'd call them fast but were awesome compared to knobblies.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby neels on Fri 16/Jan/15 3:53pm

philstar wrote:i now need a new front wheel and want a rim that will fit Shwalbe Marathon plus easier, any recommendations for a inexpensive rim brake 26" rim that fits these tires or a tire that is similar in puncture resistance.

I've found the cheap single wall rims that came on my bottom of the range bike http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail. ... 24&pid=103 heaps easier to fit small tyres to than the better ones that replaced them, I think because of the deeper groove around the middle for the bead to sit in while chasing the rest over the edge of the rim, and seemed to survive ok for road use.

I think I've still got a front sitting around the garage somewhere, the rear didn't survive as well on my son's bike once he started doing jumps and shit.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby philstar on Fri 16/Jan/15 3:56pm

neels wrote:I ran a set of these http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/INTY ... -resistant on my mtb for a while, not sure if I'd call them fast but were awesome compared to knobblies.

that is what I currently have on the front, so far the puncture ratio is 2:0 so looking for a better tyre
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Cycling | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts