Good Dining In Chch?

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 17/Sep/09 7:43am

Hey team

any of the CHCH massive got any godd suggestions of somewhere to eat dinner in CHCH

prefer cafe type fare, not big on thai / asian food

budget is OK, more than BK/Mcd's, but then can't afford 5 star either

any (sensible) advice wuld be mint, after last nites awful service at lonestar

have rental car will travel
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Good Dining In Chch?

Postby Wobbler on Thu 17/Sep/09 7:45am

Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby DropKick on Thu 17/Sep/09 7:49am

The speights ale houses down here are pretty good (well tower junction is anyway), but I'm easily impressed with a whopping big main on the cheap anyway.

Otherwise theres a nice place on Oxford Tce to get a couple of steaks, its called "Mad Cow" :thumbsup:
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Stun on Thu 17/Sep/09 8:25am

Speights Ale House is consistently good.
Sophies at the far end of Victoria Street - if you want a decent feed (I mean HUGE feed).
All pretty good value, we're not talking gourmet as such, but still pretty tasty!
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Rik on Thu 17/Sep/09 8:47am

Shameless self promoting but:

http://www.dinesmart.co.nz/restaurant_search.php

Type where and what you want to eat.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby radiusq on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:03am

If you ever want to go a bit spendy - $30-35 mains, Cook 'N' with Gas on Worcester opposite the Arts Centre is worth every penny and then some. It's completely unprenticious and with amazing food.

For curry you can't go wrong with Copper Chime on Columbo.

I like Samarai bowl for cheap Japanese on Gloucester.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Muz on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:14am

I quite like:

Mexican Cafe
Upstairs, 110 Lichfield St Christchurch
03-377 5515

I've been there several times over the years when in CHCH and it always seems to serve pretty decent mexican with good sized portions :thumbsup:

but I also agree with radiusq:

radiusq wrote:I like Samarai bowl for cheap Japanese on Gloucester.
Muz
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:17am

Word to Cook'n'with Gas but head to The Ale House in Ferrymead. Good tucker with the added bonus of Speights Pilsner. If that won't rock your boat then Winnie Bagoes is a couple of doors down. Wiiked Pizza washed down with pints of Hop Rocker :thumbsup: Added bonus of being at the bottom of the hill after a run on the trails.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby rachelr on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:34am

Mu SteakHouse on Lichfield St - fitted a large group of us (17) in on a Saturday night with an hours notice :thumbsup: The food was superb, not just the steaks which is their specialty.
Bicycle Thief on Worcester St/Latimer Square - delish Italian food.
C1 is definitely cafe food but they are open in the evenings with a limited menu. Great coffee.
rachelr

Postby grahamt on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:38am

Most places down Oxford Terrace Strip - all pretty similar
Twisted Hop, Redjacks & others - Poplar Lane
Cafe Valentino in Colombo Street
Tutto Benne in Merivale
Corner Bistro in Sunmer
Misceo in Fendalton

All serve good quality euro / cafe / bistro food
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby handy-andy on Thu 17/Sep/09 10:19am

Mexican Cafe is good if you like to wait forever for a table in order to eat average food. Otherwise go to South of the Border on Colombo Street for your mexican food fix. Just MHO.

Otherwise if you're in the market to really dine out I recommend:
Cornershop Bistro in Sumner
Sezn
Chinwag Eatthai
handy-andy
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby laurenw on Thu 17/Sep/09 11:01am

Definitly south of the border is my favourite restaurant, go on a MOnday and its cheap, are u here for the giant show??

All the indian places are good, I went to this amazing restaurant but it isn't cheap cheap but AMAZING food Henry Africa's check out the menu and get the ice cream balls for desert hmmm yum
laurenw

Postby radiusq on Thu 17/Sep/09 11:25am

handy-andy wrote:Mexican Cafe is good if you like to wait forever for a table in order to eat average food. Otherwise go to South of the Border on Colombo Street for your mexican food fix. Just MHO.

I love Mexican food, and my experience of the Mexican Cafe wasn't the best. I'll have to check out South of the Border. I can't believe I've not noticed it before - it's on Columbo for Christ's sake! Their menu looks v.tasty -

http://www.southoftheborder.co.nz/index_files/menu.htm
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby radiusq on Thu 17/Sep/09 11:33am

Another vote for Bicycles Thieves. Food has always been good, with a nice atmosphere. Good place for a bit of social eating and drinking.

Another cool little place for combined eating and drinking is the Monster Yakitori bar in Lyttleton. It's definitely not fine dining but food is super delicious and great atmosphere.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby laurenw on Thu 17/Sep/09 11:35am

radiusq wrote:
handy-andy wrote:Mexican Cafe is good if you like to wait forever for a table in order to eat average food. Otherwise go to South of the Border on Colombo Street for your mexican food fix. Just MHO.

I love Mexican food, and my experience of the Mexican Cafe wasn't the best. I'll have to check out South of the Border. I can't believe I've not noticed it before - it's on Columbo for Christ's sake! Their menu looks v.tasty -

http://www.southoftheborder.co.nz/index_files/menu.htm

Its sooo good ive tried all the mexicans and its by far the best, massive meals though so if you don't have a massive appetite order the small size!! If you listen to the breeze they give away vochurs every weekday aroun 10:20am if u answer the trivia correctly, we always go in at work won heaps!

Theres also a new cafe le tour de france out Ferrymead way apparently quite nice i haven't tried yet
laurenw

Canterbury | Christchurch | Food | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts